The Click N Go is screwed into the wood.
Installed the other one and did a fit check. Got it right!
8/29/12 Drilled the Click N Go fastener holes out to 5/16" DIA and then filled them with 2:1 epoxy. Next I'll drill them out to 13/64" and tap 1/4-20.
Had to refill the holes later. Must have soaked into the wood.
Replaced the 1/4-20 5/8 long hold down screws in the Hobie Click N Go with 1" long screws.
8/31/12 Epoxy still not cured, even after setting it out in the hot sun for a while. Must not have gotten the mix right. Made new parts including fore and aft support pieces this time and poured epoxy in the holes again. Bonded the 2 pieces for fore and aft support. Must have gotten this mix a little hot because it was burning my hand before I finished.
09/01/12 Got up early o find the epoxy hard. Drilled the epoxy filled holes out to 7/64 (.203) although the tap table called for a #7 (.201). (I figured I could live with .002 oversize.) Then taped the holes.
I built this tap handle while I was in machinery school. The "nibs" were done EDM as was the profile of some of the other parts. Also used a manual lathe on parts and the handles were done on a CNC lathe.
Installed the Click N Go with a ball end Allen wrench (only way it can be done).
It was off about .060". So I loosened the 8" "C" clamps and taped it with a hammer to get it right on stomped on to make sure it was flat on the bottom. Tightened the clamps down and checked alignment again then I SuperGlued the 2X4 end pieces in place. That is so I don't have to carry around those monster "C" clamps and these 2X4s are only there temporarily. That part will be cut off before the mount is installed in the deck.
Hobie Click N Go were a special order part from ACK and they were rather expensive. But they are really slick. To install the Mirage drive just set the levers forward and drop the Mirage drive in. Locks down automatically.
To removed the drive pull the levers back (counterintuitive). Lift the Mirage drive out and the levers automatically reset ready for the next time install.
Have to admit these might even be better than the mechanism I used on my HYBRID kayak.
09/02/12 Got up this morning to find the work I did yesterday in good order. Epoxy cured up nice and the mount is ready for install.
Tomorrow I'll cut out the deck and install the mount, sand to fit and then glass around the edges.
09/03/12 Fit check.
"Nice tight fit." Then bonded in place with 3:1 and Microballoons.
Later turned it upside down and sealed it all around again with 3:1 and Microballoons.
After that cured I sanded it flush with the belt sander. Then applied a layer of glass around the bottom holes with 2:1. Done for the day.