Home Made Cooler

RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Home Made Cooler

Post by RealBigReel »

For my next kayak I am considering a custom made cooler. So I did a little experimenting today and I thought someone might like to see what can be done.

I used a single layer of plane ol' 3/4" thick sheet Styrofoam with Styrofoam adhesive in a calk type tube (cost ~$3.50 a tube).

At about 1:30 today the adhesive was hard enough so I put a couple of frozen water bottles in the cooler. Put the lid on it and set a piece of wood on top for weight. (No better seal than that.) I put this in the back of the truck in the shade but outside in the heat (94° today). I also put another bottle of frozen water in the bed of the truck next to the cooler as a baseline. At 6:30 this evening the water bottle left in the bed of the truck was lukewarm, no ice and no coolness left at all. The 2 bottles that I put in the cooler will still mostly frozen with very little liquid as you can see. Obviously it worked. Of course I would want to coat the foam with epoxy or something and if I was making a serious cooler for fishing and I would probably use 2 layers of Styrofoam.
kneekap

Re: Home Made Cooler

Post by kneekap »

Also thought about building a custom kayak fitted cooler. Two layers
sounds pretty good. Biggest challenge would be a tight or gasket fitted lid
that would allow easy access and yet prevent it's loss. Maybe some
epoxied in hold downs on the base would be good. Also thought about
some sort of hard plastic liner or shell for durability.

Keep thinking; you are on the right track.
Homegrown

Re: Home Made Cooler

Post by Homegrown »

Following along. I want to build one for the TV I'm stitching up tonight. Was thinking on 1/4" plywood wrapped with foam and glassed of course. May also be able to double as a camp seat/table when removed from the boat. Just thinking out loud…

HG