sailing / sort of

makenmend

sailing / sort of

Post by makenmend »

yesterday (Fri 13th) decided to sail my trimaran.winds were lite 6/8 mph, had just made new sails and wanted to see how they worked. sailed around for 3 hrs enjoying it all.the gurling water round the hulls,the surge of power in the little puffs, even paddling when the wind quit,
then I noticed the ominous clouds so headed back home, did I mention that these were new sails?? with no means of furling/reducing sail (my bad)

well I had the ride of my life very strong gusty winds driving rain thunder ect, completly over powered the boat,every time I got close to a lee shore for shelter a gust would power me offshore, didn't want to go to the windward shore, waves were crashing big time would have broken me up for sure. The boat is more than half full of water my bilge pump (sponge) blew away,I'm worried the birdsmouth mast will break in a gust every time I try to sail for safty I get over powered and water is completly breaking over the boat, Scary :roll:

So I did about the only thing I could and hove to in the middle of the lake keeping my head to wind and bailed with my soft sided cooler til the storm passed.not easy putting on a pfd under these conditions :oops:

The moral of my stupidity, the watertite compartments and my outriggers kept me afloat and I got home intact, note to self make sails that can be reduced in a blow and put on pfd before I leave shore

MM
Attachments
IMGP4250_resize.JPG
kneekap

Re: sailing / sort of

Post by kneekap »

Shucks, you just need a couple of reef points to reduce sail.
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

I am glad you lived to see another day! Also, mighty fine to see the sails on your boat. Good luck with your new toy. Be Careful out there.

Cheers!

~JW
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

Reminds me about an interview I saw with John Lennon talking about a sailing experience he had.

"I was driving that boat,you know, and I was smashed in the face for six hours. A couple of the waves had me on my knees.

I was just hanging on the wheel, but it was very powerful weather. I was screaming sea chanteys and shouting at the Gods,and I had the time of my life."

-John Lennon
Summer 1980
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Reefing, furling, letting loose the sheets....ah...the pleasures ( and sometimes terrors) of a good wind!

Remember it all, and hope to do it again some day. I like your rig. Rich

p.s. Had a 27 ft Catalina many years ago. We were tooling along out in Galveston bay with some friends on board. Then, the starboard chain-plate snapped. It sounded like a shotgun going off. With nothing holding up the 35 or 40 foot mast on one side...we had some worried moments.

Luckily, we brought her about and doused the sails before any real problems occurred. Putt-Putted home on the "iron jib"... Loved it! Rich
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

" the starboard chain-plate snapped. It sounded like a shotgun going off. With nothing holding up the 35 or 40 foot mast on one side"

That would make me happy I was wearing brown pants.

All but finished restoreing a 23' north american spirit 77 vintage made in Austin TX, looking forward to putting her in the water.My (P & S ) chainplates are built into the coachhouse so easy to inspect.

MM
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

My chainplate broke exactly where it entered the decking. The CP then continued down to the cabin. Everything was exposed...EXCEPT...for the area where it passed through the upper deck.

It was about a ten year old boat when I bought it. I had a marine survey on it before buying. The surveyor didn't find the issue. Probably had saltwater sitting in the crevice for a number of years, working its way through the Stainless steel.

Oh well, all is well that ends well.

When I get a sail on my yak, I won't have any stinkin' chainplates to worry about.

Rich
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

""My chainplate broke exactly where it entered the decking. The CP then continued down to the cabin. Everything was exposed...EXCEPT...for the area where it passed through the upper deck.

It was about a ten year old boat when I bought it. I had a marine survey on it before buying. The surveyor didn't find the issue. Probably had saltwater sitting in the crevice for a number of years, working its way through the Stainless steel.""

That's how mine is to, looks like a previous owner had replaced the wood bulkheads they tie into but no way of knowing the condition where they pass through the cabin roof?? I'm not about to tear them out now, we'll see :roll:

MM
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Somebody must have been watching over you . . .
Glad you were able to tell the story.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Thanks folks, at least now I know that little rig is pretty tough, just don't need to push my luck or test my stupidity any time soon.

I've seen lakes texoma,whitney and buchanan build bid waves in a blow but a tiny lake like Inks who'd a thunk, just goes to show.

Did motivate me to get out my manual inflatable pfd and test it then fit a new cartridge :!:

MM
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Dayum that sounds like fun. Sure wish you would have had the presence of mind to get a few pics.. :shock:

I got caught in a boomer about half way down the river last week.
Sounds like you made the most of the adventure. :) Hell I wish I was there.