My 8oz paddle.

Tony from Oak Point

My 8oz paddle.

Post by Tony from Oak Point »

Okay, my wife shuddered in embarrassment when she saw me making this the other day, but it only took about 2 hours and didn't cost anything as I had the materials already. I glued 1/2 of a 7' medium weight graphite rod onto a plywood paddle that I cut out of luaun plywood. To glue it i just used some jb weld and then a few pieces of 6oz fiberglass cloth.

While kayak fishing I'm always thinking the big paddle is too big for a lot of things. Also, this is light enough I can port it around as a back up paddle without too much of a burden. I think I'll paint the wood part fluorescent green to match the boat and to act as a safety "flag" as I keep in the the rod holder when not in use.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: My 8oz paddle.

Post by richg99 »

Good idea. I have a couple of broken rods around ( don't ask, please). Ha Ha Have to look for some lightweight ply now. Rich
Tony from Oak Point

Post by Tony from Oak Point »

Thanks! Ah, if you build it I'd be interested to see how it looks like. Now that mine is painted it looks a heck of a lot like a big novelty fly swatter.

For my creation, I guess I'll have to test it to see how it really works now. I just cut the general paddle shape from a plastic container that seemed to be the right size.

Another idea I had versus cutting plywood was to just buy a cheap ping pong paddle or beach paddle or whatever, cut off about 1/2 of the handle and drill a hole through the center of the handle. Then I could mount the paddle onto to base of a two piece fishing rod without any glue.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Well, since we are brainstorming...what about adapting the paddle's handle to fit easily onto your "stick-in" type anchor shaft? ..i.e snap on .. snap off.....

That way, when you need to ....STOP.....; you use the stick anchor. When you are just drifting or cruising along ....and just need to adjust your drift a bit...you use the paddle attachment.

regards, Rich