Core Sound 17' sailboat

makenmend

Core Sound 17' sailboat

Post by makenmend »

Been a while since I updated this build, A lot longer build time than a Kayak :!:
All the internals are cut and triple coated with epoxy so when it comes to assembly each item is planed/rasped sanded for good fit then goopied in. Internal air tanks and lockers will be left bright inside for inspection purposes but all external wood primed and painted. here's some pics.
IMGP4495_resize.JPG
glassing inside.
IMGP4600_resize.JPG
Internals starting to go in.
IMGP4616_resize.JPG
Cutting a hole in the bottom of a perfectly good boat :roll:
makenmend

Re: Core Sound 17' sailboat

Post by makenmend »

cutting straight grain fir for 2 masts
IMGP4633_resize.JPG
Followed by the birdsmouth cut.
IMGP4640_resize.JPG
the mast is then goopied up in 2 halves to allow blocking at stress and hardware attachment areas,
Attachments
IMGP4687_resize.JPG
Last edited by makenmend on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

followed by the fun stuff :roll:
IMGP4700_resize.JPG
Talking of fun after lots of sanding fairing MORE sanding bottom gets grafite finish and the side is primed
IMGP4637_resize.JPG
Now I'm doing something more familiar to me stripping up the decks.
IMGP4705_resize.JPG
More Later.Got to get back to work :dance:

MM
birddog

Post by birddog »

Core Sound

Is the design from North Carolina, Beaufort Area??

Great Lines and love the mast.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Hey birddog, I think your on the money, I 'm not familiar with that area but the design is by Graham Brynes, B&B yacht designs, out of Vandemere NC.

MM
ECpirates96

Post by ECpirates96 »

Vandemere is in Pamlico County but the hull style is Core Sound which is Beaufort or Harkers Island NC
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

B&b Yachts are hosting a messabout last week in Oct, hope to make it with the new build finished, I hope :roll:

MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Decks are now stripped and the bottom sides glassed.
IMGP4715_resize.JPG
IMGP4723_resize.JPG
floatation chambers all goopied in and watertight inspection hatchs installed, plus centre board and trunk goopied and triple glassed in.
IMGP4730_resize.JPG
next is getting mast steps/bearing done and installed before decks can be installed, have to shop for some nice looking wood for the middle thwart, deck king plank and rubrails.I can start painting the insides after more SANDING, also got to make a bunch of turning blocks.

MM
Jeaux

Post by Jeaux »

Looking Good
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Still waiting on my masts/sails, but started the painting, filling, sanding, Also started on blocks now Iv'e decidede/ordered all my rope for halyards,sheets, snotters, can't beat some of those old tyme names they gave to a piece of string :)
IMGP4740_resize.JPG
IMGP4737_resize.JPG
Heading to Austin this morning (TX Parks & Wildlife) with plans receipts ect to set up an appointment to get my boat inspected for registration, plus pick up some mahogany for a couple of clear finish parts, this is already a hole in the water where I put my money :roll:

MM
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Looking good. Can't wait to hear how it went with TPWD.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

That went rather easy, when they saw the wad of plans, receipts I had, didn't even look at them, gave me 3 sheets of paper work to fill out pay the inspection fee ($25) and I was done. Now to wait til they call to set up a time to come inspect the boat and give me the papers to get title and registration.

MM
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Looks like you've got another beautiful boat coming along there John.

I didn't realize they required an inspection to let you get your registration numbers, is that just for a certain size boat?

Beautiful work!
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Yesterday was 1st day on the trailer and out of the shed,
IMGP4778_resize.JPG
now I can see her wrinkles, these will have to wait, I still plan on going to Sail OK with her if my sails arrive in time ( told they'd been shipped to New Zealand by mistake).

The trailer was from an 18' bassboat, but this baby fits on there with no room to spare.
IMGP4780_resize.JPG
So now decks are trimmed, planed and sanded and 1st epoxy coated prior to glassing.Glassed the decks late last night,plus 1st coat of Interlux topcote, that stuff looks real good with just one coat !!
IMGP4787_resize.JPG
Now onto deck cap and combing.

MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Getting closer, seem's like a lot of work and little progress.painting and varnishing are not my strong suite, so I have to redo things sometimes.Also I have a dilema at times such as do I oil or varnish my rubrails ? varnish looks nicer but they will take punishment and oiling is easier/quicker than varnish. With 2 coats of paint the hull looks good, so on go the # and HIN #
IMGP4820_resize.JPG
IMGP4818_resize.JPG
The masts and spars (on the right of the pic) are almost ready, just waiting on some stainless pop rivets to attach rigging items, then raise the sails and figure out what blocks and where to put them so I can handle all the lines from the helm position.Also thinking on rod holders,as with the motor I can fish out of this babyif I wish. Anyway not to long now to splash time, will update later..

MM
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Great job! Man, that is a beautiful boat MM.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

MM
That is a pretty rig , cant wait for the getting wet report.
Ron
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Thank you respected gentlemen, I'm somewhat antsy on the getting wet thing :!: but after a good rain this past weekend I found the boat with over 6'' inside so I'm guessing that if it'll keep water in it should also keep it out :roll:

MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Well she got splashed last night, put her in about 5ish took quite a while to rig, had to do that at my dock rather than at the ramp as I need to do a fair bit of tree pruneing :!:
Had to motor out of my creek area before raising the sails, then the wind completly died on me :evil: off to the north I see the dark clouds of the front so I'm determined to spend some time on the water now I'm here so good time to learn how to reef whilst on the water. Discretion being the better part of valour ( read chicken) I went with the maximum double reef on main and mizzen. No sooner than I got that done when here comes the wind out of the north, by gps even fully reefed I was enjoying a downwind run at 6.5 mph.
core sound I pod 075_resize.jpg
core sound I pod 076_resize.jpg
that the leadind edge of the front to the south.

Ran south for awhile playing and getting a feel for the boat,then about face and do some tacking into the wind still managing a respectable 5+ mph. Played until it got dark then sail to creek entrance, douse the sails and motor on in against the wind, and unrig at the dock in the dark (thankfully good moonlite between breaks in the cloud).
so a good 1st impretion, couple of minor things to improve sail contol and make up some weather protection for camping aboard then put in some real time.

MM
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sounds like a great first run John! I don't know much about sailing and don't understand all the terms :) but it sounds like you've made a pretty nice boat!

Good Job!
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

RIGHT ON JOHN Image

That is 1 dam fine sailboat. You just figger out which ropes, oops lines to pull (or is it sheets?) and the TX200 is within reach.

I'd sure like to see a pic of her under full sail shot from outside the boat. I may have to drive up and shoot it myself. :wink:
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Thank you so much guys,learning all the different terms/names is actually interesting, some history in all that stuff. But at the end of the day just using the wind out cruising around I find relaxing. It'll take a little time to get to know her and get set up but the Tx 200 and Everglades challenge were what I had in mind when I started this build, this design has been at the forefront of these events for a while so she has pedigree.
Only a couple of hours under my belt but impressed with the stability, even with me standing on the fore deck she felt planted, plus the self tacking ability and all lines/sheets at hand convieniently at the helm.
Just going to get time in on my home lake for now though, sorry can't provide pics of boat under full sail for now but if your this way you'd be very welcome.

MM
core sound I pod 081_exposure_resize.jpg
Full sail on the trailer for now.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thats one nice looking sailboat right there. Another fine boat you have built! More pics please!
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

What a difference a week can make :!:
No sailing,paddling or fishing for a while, going in for bypass surgery monday, this will be my 3rd time around :x but they say practice makes perfect :roll:

MM
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Wow John, good luck in the hospital!