CLC Kaholo 14 Build Ready for Water!

keith1

Re: CLC Kaholo 14 Build

Post by keith1 »

Looking good
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Hopefully I'm not bugging anybody with all the pictures, but I got a little bit more done.
Smoothed out the edges where I filled in with some epoxy. Took down some layers of the ply. Oh well, doesn't look terrible.
I wish I was able to get the fish glued down last night, but partied a bit to much the previous night and felt lazy yesterday.
Either my board or the fish is a little crooked, possibly even both. I think it will be ok though.
Attachments
IMAG0927.jpg
DSCF0574.JPG
DSCF0576.JPG
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

A couple more.
Attachments
DSCF0577.JPG
IMAG0928.jpg
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

One more..
Not really sure how I'm going to finish this idea. I know that it will be next to impossible just straight up fiberglassing over it without getting bubbles.
The backing of it is paper, which was glued on as a template for cutting it out without it chipping apart.
My plan at this point is encasing it with epoxy, sanding it smooth, and then it will be one solid piece that I can then fiberglass over.
Attachments
964574_10200248018541500_339475804_o.jpg
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Looking great
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

keith1 wrote:Looking great
Thank you.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Make sure when you glass that thing it is vented somehow. Or if your not using a vent. Epoxy it when the temperature is cooling down outside. Not in the morning. These large hollow boards can build a lot of pressure in them just like a plastic gas can does. If your glassing when the board has pressure in it the air will try to escape through any minute pin holes in the wood or fillet material and cause air bubbles. You dont want that. It happend to me.

On another note. You really want a good glass job on this. I would also put several layers of varnish or paint on it. I usually paint the bottom of my boats with an oil based paint. Imagine if you put your board thats been sitting in the hot sun in the cool water, and there was a tiny hole or crack in an area exposed to the water. As the air in the board cooled, it would suck water in. I haven't had this happen to me but I have read about it happening a lot on the hollow wood surfboard forums.

Oh by the way, its looking really nice :D
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Thanks for the tips, neon14.
I knew that the boards can build up pressure, but didn't even think of the air bubbles that could form from it.
I was planning on glassing it tonight, but the resin coating over the lettering on the back still needs some curing. Looks like I'll do it tomorrow night.
My plan at this point is to do a couple fill coats of resin followed by a couple coats of varnish. Maybe a layer of paint on the bottom if it looks too ugly.
Weighed in today at 41.8 lbs. That is without applying fiberglass to the bottom side of the deck also. Using 6oz glass to cover the whole board, so I'm guessing with will end up about 45-47 lbs once I'm done. 10 lbs over the plans estimated weight, but I didn't completely follow the book either. I'm not too worried about the weight though. Still lighter than my kayak, and if I can't lift 50lbs over my head at the end of the day I should be ashamed of myself (I'm 23 in a month).
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Well, she's been fiber glassed top and bottom. Hoping I will be done with fill coats, fins, and varnish by the weekend. 8)
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Looking good. Can't wait to see it finished and on the water.

HG
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Bought some paint and varnish yesterday. Excited about laying out my paint scheme. Also got some anit-slip additive that I'm going to try and add to some varnish and put down some strips the the standing area.

Made some cedar fins today. Did some ghetto vacuum bagging using the kitchen vacuum sealer. Worked pretty darn good.
Attachments
966764_10200272700398531_1423166234_o.jpg
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Ok, I finally got to sanding the whole board this morning. Had to start off by wet sanding the deck with 320, due to it clogging the sand paper so much. Didn't have any problems with the hull or sides, only the deck. After the wet sanding I was able to let it dry, and hit it with the random orbital to smooth it down. Wiped the whole thing down with denatured alcohol, and let her dry for an hour or so with a bunch of air moving over the whole board in the hot garage.

Now this is where I'm kinda worrying. I mixed up a batch of epoxy for the final coating, and rolled it on. After having the whole deck coated, I went to tip out any bubbles that may have formed, and found that it has a pretty bad orange peel effect going on, even after going over it with a foam brush. Is this something That I should worry about? I know my batch was mixed properly (mix it by weight using a scale), and I know that the surface was prepped right. Should I just let it cure, sand it, and move on with the next step (varnish)?
neon14

Post by neon14 »

The epoxy might settle out after it sits a bit. If it doesn't you will just have to sand a little more. When you varnish sand between each coat with something like 220 grit paper with your orbital till its all white. You dont want any shiny spots. I use 3" disposable foam brushes from the hardware store to apply the varnish in a very thin coat. You want to put that stuff on as thin as you can. Prolly 3 or 4 coats and it will look really good. Brush back into the varnish so it will leave a smooth transition. There a bunch of videos on this on youtube.

You just entered the worst part about boat building. The finishing, the sand-a-thon :lol:

I took my paddle board down the Guadalupe today. Hit the rapids, some of them standing up! SUP is a full body workout, I am wiped out! Had a blast and the fishing was pretty good.
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Thanks for the info. I put that layer on a bit thin. I think what I'm going to do is hit it tonight before I go to bed with one more thin coat to even it out a little bit. Then I'll be able to flip and cover the hull in the morning, followed by a few more hours of sanding. Need to buy more sand paper in the morning, went through a pack of 220 this morning. I guess that I should have known that after painting my car a couple years ago. Planing on Painting the sides and hull, and varnishing the top. She is going to be a heavy girl (15lbs over estimated :P ), but I don't really care. I'm not racing, just cruising and fishing.

Good to hear you had a good day out there. I can't wait to try fishing off of it, but I think I'm going to paddle around in some no wake areas in some canals before I bring any fishing gear with me out to the flats.
Attachments
971676_10200284857422449_1488434326_n.jpg
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Looking real good, the finishing always takes longer than you antisipate.
There's a product ouy there called Abranet, that is way more durable than any other sanding medium that I have tried (quite a few). The higher initial cost is offset by the extended life, I have no interest in this other than making my (sanding) life easier.

MM

ps on the 17' sailboat I built there was a ton of sanding, the 10 pack sampler I ordered is still in use after many hours.
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Spent the morning stripping the first coat of varnish on the deck today. I'm not positive what went wrong, but I'm guessing that it could have been a combination of extremely humid weather, and maybe not getting all the epoxy blush off. The label said that it should be ready in 12 for re-coating, but after 20 hours there was still a tack on most of the surface, and it just looked ugly. Used some mineral spirits, and a scotch brite pad to take off the majority of it, and then scrubbed the hell out of it with warm water and dawn dish soap. Let it sit in the garage with the fan running for a bit, and hit it with some 220 again followed by denatured alcohol. Turned the A.C. on out in the garage to help bring the temp down along with the humidity. Put on a new coat, and it already looks much better than the other coat that I stripped off.

We'll see how it turns out in the morning. Im going to get some maroon scotch brite pads to sand in between coats of varnish. The laminated fish on the top isn't smooth enough to be able to hit it with the orbital with out taking off too much in some areas.
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Here she is with 5 coats of varnish on deck, 3 coats of white marine top coat on bottom and sides, and a coat of black on the sides. Will get some better pics out in the sun soon.
Attachments
IMAG1017.jpg
IMAG1015.jpg
IMAG1010.jpg
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

I do believe that I am ready to hit the water tomorrow. Won't try the cooler yet. Just going out to practice standing and paddling.. Maybe I'll bring a rod and reel just incase.. :D
Attachments
IMAG1045.jpg
IMAG1046.jpg
IMAG1047.jpg
StuckInTheMud

Re: CLC Kaholo 14 Build Ready for Water!

Post by StuckInTheMud »

Pretty sexy!
Archer4life

Post by Archer4life »

Looks great. Have fun getting it wet.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

That is just beautiful. Love it.
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Thanks guys. If it was a fun project, and if feels good seeing the all the hard work pay off.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=198383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

I have been thinking of building something. A combination of ideas. Think of your build but with gunwales, adjustable/sliding/removable seats, in-board storage, ...

I just love working with wood and wish that there was a way to allow for transparency so that the ribbing could shown.

BTW, your paddle board reminds me of the old style sailing boards, before the cubbyholes began to be added.
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

JaimeInTexas wrote:I have been thinking of building something. A combination of ideas. Think of your build but with gunwales, adjustable/sliding/removable seats, in-board storage, ...

I just love working with wood and wish that there was a way to allow for transparency so that the ribbing could shown.

BTW, your paddle board reminds me of the old style sailing boards, before the cubbyholes began to be added.

I originally planed on putting an access panel towards the front, but just can't bring myself to cut a big hole in the deck.
With the paint scheme that I went with, I like to think of it as my poor man's flats boat.

I'm also thinking about building a small folding wooden chair that will only lift me up about 6-8 inches above the deck. Might even start on it this weekend if I have nothing better to do. This way I can still go fishing when its a little breezy with a kayak paddle.
kyleisMRsmiley

Post by kyleisMRsmiley »

Man that is awesome! You da man