thinking bout building a boat ?

keith1

thinking bout building a boat ?

Post by keith1 »

Ok guys im starting to think about building me a boat. I don't now where to start. any ideas of what would be a good boat for me ? I'm a big guy 6 ft 260 lbs. will want the boat for paddling the river and maybe doing some salt water fishing . What plans do ya recommend me use ? thanks keith
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: thinking bout building a boat ?

Post by bowgarguide »

Check Jems Watercraft, good plans and excellent help if you need it.
Ron
keith1

Post by keith1 »

o I think I talked myself into doing a sot instead of my original plan of a pirogue . what do yall think would be better for me to use floating the river and some saltwater fishing ?
thinking about this one.
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... od=BF15-29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iwannagofishin

Post by Iwannagofishin »

Hello Keith,

A pirogue (or any 3 panel boat) would be great for rivers and small lakes. It would also work well for bay fishing, but you wouldn't want to take it out in the surf.

The proddetail looks like a nice boat for both. It will be a little more difficult to build, but there are lots of guys on this forum who are willing to answer your questions.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

I'm not interested in the surf . I just want something that will be fairly east to paddle and be able to keep up with my buddies that have plastic kayaks .
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

The JEM TV pirogue is awesome for river use. Carries a lot of weight and very stable. Much easier to build as a first boat than SOT.

I use the pirogue style for my 3 of my boats and never been disapointed. I have also built the JEM Cape Fear SOT and it is a great yak and fast as lightenting but my pirogue style yaks are super for bass fishing as well as salt marshes in-shore fishing. I also carry a little more weight than most yakkers (around 270 then) and the Cape Fear carries the biggest load but I had to do some modifications to keep water from coming into the cockpit through the scuppers.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

I built the JEM Touring Pirogue Tumblehome and it's my "go to" boat. I love it. Stable, nimble, super easy to paddle, tracks straight as an arrow.
I'm now in the process of building the JEM regular Touring Pirogue. A super easy boat to build and everything the TV is, except it won't have the tumblehomes. You can't go wrong with a JEM touring pirogue for whatever type of fishing you do. The only place I won't take it is BTB.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

I have to strongly agree with the last 2 inputs.

MM
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I need to clear something up
there are three boats listed and they are all diferent
Touring perow , flat bottomed traditional perow
Touring perow T , is a flat bottomed perow with tumble holmes.
The T-V is a perow with tumble holmes and a v bottom.
I built the first T-V and it is still one of my favorite boats.
I call it my 90 % boat
It is as fast as 90% of the boats in that length
stable """""" """
Carries a load "" "" ""
It turns and handles "" "" ""
I have built 15 diferent boats and this is still one of my favorites

Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Keith
If you will look at the top of the forum there is a section ( post Your Boats)
On the first page scroll down and the pic of my ply s@g T-V is there.
Oh the decks I built to my specs.
Ron
Ps that boat has been paddled over 2000 miles .
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Phishtech wrote:I built the JEM Touring Pirogue Tumblehome and it's my "go to" boat. I love it. Stable, nimble, super easy to paddle, tracks straight as an arrow.
I'm now in the process of building the JEM regular Touring Pirogue. A super easy boat to build and everything the TV is, except it won't have the tumblehomes. You can't go wrong with a JEM touring pirogue for whatever type of fishing you do. The only place I won't take it is BTB.
Let me clarify what I meant to say: The Touring Pirogue TV has the tumblehome and a V bottom.
The regular Touring Pirogue does not have a V bottom or tumblehome. The regular Touring Pirogue I'm building will have a V bottom because I asked Matt at JEM to add that. If you're gonna build one of the pirogues, make sure you get the V bottom, it's the only way to go. When I stop paddling one of my plastic kayaks they immediately start to veer to the left or right. With the V bottom on my pirogue it tracks as straight as an arrow which is a great help when fishing.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

What kind of paddle do y'all use to paddle y'all's pirogue ? A single blade or one with a blade on both ends ?
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Bowgarguide . Your boat look like what I'm looking for . I like how you have your cooler . What kind of paddle do you use ? A single blade or one with two blades ?
keith1

Post by keith1 »

So if I can't find marine grade plywood will regular plywood work ? I guess treated plywood is out of the question ?
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Ok a few more questions . I just look at the material list and it calls for fiberglass tape . Do you not fiberglass the whole boat ? Or just the seams ?
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Keith, you can do either the whole boat with a fiberglass cloth sheet or just the seams with the tape. Stronger and more abrasion resistant when done in the cloth but plenty strong when just taped at the joints inside and out. On a plywood boat I would recommend doing the whole thing just for piece of mind and the plywood can be the cheap floor underlayment stuff that they sell at the box stores for like 10 bucks a sheet. As long as its all either glassed or costed with the epoxy inside and out it should be fine. I'm in the process of building the TV out of plywood now and also have one going that is all clear redwood stripped. Love this boat and use it for everything from bow fishing to hauling deer outta the woods. Can even stand and throw a cast net out of it. I think the next one I build will be the same boat but built out of foam.

HG
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368759347.229632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368759394.097277.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368759416.804247.jpg
HG
keith1

Post by keith1 »

That's a pretty boat . I talked jem today. Looks like when I have some extra money I'm going to order my patterns . There going to make me a full size pattern
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Kieth
We all have our views of construction pluses and minuses .
Here are mine.
I use my boats pretty rough and have found for a long lasting tough boat full coverage with 6 ounce glass inside and out seems to be the way to go for me.
I use a bending branches kayak paddle.
Ron