Re: Flats Stalker 18

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Patiently waiting for more updates. Image
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

Me thinks he is like a drug dealer. First he gets you hooked and then he holds back to see what you will pay for the rest of his photos and chatter about his build. O.K. I will pay................
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

:lol: Sorry guys I wish I had the time to work on her. To much work and not enough boat building makes me grumpy. But don't worry I will soon be back on her I promise with loads of pics.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Welcome back. Consider us like that annoying alarm clock with the snooze ... we are the snooze alarm. Image
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like your sense of humor.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

the scary part is that there are others with the same sense of humor, to wit, the animated gif. there is always one that is right for the occasion.

probably I watched too much of this guy

or, too much I Dream Of Jeannie

..... nah
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Snooze alarm. Image
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

I know I know,its killing we not to be able to work on it. I haven't touched this boat in so long I think I may of forgot how to build a boat. :lol: I've gotten so far and now I fill like I've hit a brick wall. Work, and a bathroom remodel have really gotten in the way. ButI will soon be back on it.
StuckInTheMud

Post by StuckInTheMud »

Watch out for that "life" thing, it gets in the way of boat building! Started mine more years ago than I realized and I'm STILL not finished yet, but I'm almost there. Stay strong!!
Elite13

Post by Elite13 »

whats something like this cost to build?
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

So far I have about $1500. in it. That's marine plywood, epoxy resin, wood flour, micro balloons, graphite, quick fair, and primer. As it sits I would say its about 75% complete. I need to order some more epoxy, expanding foam, paint, and kiwi grip. It will most likely be another $500. in cost for supplies. Then all the other stuff battery, wiring, lights, trim taps, bilge pump, etc. will probably be another $1000. to finish her off. So my best guestament is $3000. for the boat. Then the trailer, and motor could cost another $3-5,000. depending on how you go. I picked up a new yamaha off ebay for a couple grand under retail. The trailer I picked up a jetski trailer that I plan to modify. It was $250. and will cost about $200. in material to modify. But even if you spent the additional coat for motor and trailer your in it at $6-8,000. For a technical poling skiff thats cheap. Way cheaper the some of the big name manufactures. I don't want to name them they might advertise on this site. :) But you can cut cost and do it cheaper then I am for sure. A craigslist motor for $500. Would save a bundle on a build like this. Sorry I tend to ramble on. :D
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D Nah, Shamrock... First hand experience, reported clearly and eloquently is never rambling on...for those with interest, it's precious! Well done! :clap:
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Nice build. I have a bateau OB15 skiff I built back in 2006, and extensively refinished in 2012 to correct some shortcuts and mistakes I made the first time around, and add some new features. I'm glad to see you're going slowly and methodically and not taking any shortcuts. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. Some of the Texas builders get together at POC each summer and check out everyone's boats.

Now to figure out how to make it a good mothership...

AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

I HIGHLY recommend using tinted epoxy for your bilge space and any livewell space as versus paint. If your bilge holds leaking fuel, it can, over months of time, eat through the paint and do damage to the laminations underneath if there are any non-chemically bonded seams. A solid, thick coat of tinted epoxy will prevent that from being possible. I bought this tiny jar of syrupy grey epoxy tint, and it works great, looks great, and is very easy to use. It is very similar to putting graphite in epoxy.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Nice boat AyJay,
Is your build thread on their site, I would like to check it out. Thanks for the bilge tip. They got three coats of neat epoxy to seal them up before painting. I have some white tint but it was too see through I thought. Might just need to mix in more tint. Now you got me wondering if I should sand down the paint and use tinted epoxy instead. :?: The paint I used is a bilge coat so I'll look into it. But I will defenatly use tinted epoxy on the aft bilges. That's were any gas will most likely end up.
I need to get back on her but just haven't had the time. Work is getting the best of me lately. That's all good as summer is on its way and my helper is going to be looking for something to do. And he's a year older now. Got to get it ready for P.O.C :dance:
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I just don't have the drive I did 20 years ago. Would love to see your craft in person if you let me. Sometimes a little encouragement can go a long way.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

JaimeInTexas wrote:Image
Sorry I've been busy and haven got a chance to touch her in a while. Hoping to get back to her real soon though.
Tombo wrote:I just don't have the drive I did 20 years ago. Would love to see your craft in person if you let me. Sometimes a little encouragement can go a long way.
Of course let me know what day is good for you. Weekends are generally better for me.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

No need to apologize. You can slap the snooze alarm all the times you want. If I tell you how long it too me just to fix my trailer ... :oops:
I do know how life is. Take care and do the work when you have the unhurried time. Your project is a big one and it is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Do not let it worry you.
StuckInTheMud

Post by StuckInTheMud »

Summer's kickin in full swing, any updates on the sweet skiff? Looking forward to seeing this thing hit the water and getting slimed!
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Shamrock. Hoping all is well with and yours.
edit: bump
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Well its killing me to do this as this build has meant allot to me. But so does family, so if anybody is interested in owning a 90% complete technical poling skiff please let me know. Its sitting on a trailer now, I have a brand new never be ran Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. I will try and update pics soon as I can. I'm not sure on price yet but will come up with a number soon. Either way it will be allot cheaper then buying a technical poling skiff and if need be I'm willing to find the time to finish her for the right price. That would give the buyer choice of fit and finish. Please let me know of any interest.

Thanks
jlyoung08

Post by jlyoung08 »

man you got me wanting to build one!
sucks you have to sell
jackh

Post by jackh »

Shamrock kid wrote:Well its killing me to do this as this build has meant allot to me. But so does family, so if anybody is interested in owning a 90% complete technical poling skiff please let me know. Its sitting on a trailer now, I have a brand new never be ran Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. I will try and update pics soon as I can. I'm not sure on price yet but will come up with a number soon. Either way it will be allot cheaper then buying a technical poling skiff and if need be I'm willing to find the time to finish her for the right price. That would give the buyer choice of fit and finish. Please let me know of any interest.

Thanks
Interested depending on price.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Sorry but it was just sold on Saturday. :(