Flats Stalker 18

Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Flats Stalker 18

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on......
Got the sole glued down and glad that its over with. That is a mile marker on this build. To get it glued down I had to mix enough epoxy glue to do the whole job. The challenge was getting it spread in place before it kicked off. Then get the sole panels set in place and weighted down before it all kicked off. I think this cooler weather helped out. I love boat building when its in the 70's. High 70's but thats better then low 90's. :D
The pics suck as I think there was saw dust on the camera lens.
Sole glued in .JPG
Sole glued in .JPG (28.46 KiB) Viewed 11573 times
These pics are after it was all set, I had cement blocks holding it down. I think about 1,000 lbs of them. I could of used screws to screw it down but then I would have to remove them, drill & fill the holes.
sole installed .JPG
sole installed .JPG (21.19 KiB) Viewed 11573 times
Next step is to fillet and tape the sole down.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

I'm still working on it just haven't had time to post pics or an update. The sole has been filleted and the seams taped. I then laid 6 oz cloth over the sole and laminated it. The design doesn't call for this but I wanted a little more protection. Next I will be installing the upper parts of frames c & d with will also double as rod holders. Starting to get to some of the lay out of the boat, hatches, rod holders, deck layout, allot of the fun stuff. Stay tuned pics to follow real soon I promise.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Patiently waiting for your updates. Image
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Okay I left off I had just glued down the sole.
Since then It got glassed with 6oz woven.
Sole taped & Glassed.JPG
Sole taped & Glassed.JPG (24.49 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Then frames c & d got cut into rod holders. These frames mount under the gunnel and that makes a great place for rod storage.
Frame Rod Holder 1.JPG
Frame Rod Holder 1.JPG (25.32 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Then they got glued in place, filleted, and tapped, all wet on wet.
Frames installed.JPG
Frames installed.JPG (24.49 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
I also added the gunnel inside support, I ripped out a 1X2 from some clear pine. Its hard finding clear 1X2's.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Continuing on....
On the forward bulkhead I am putting in some rod tubes.
Rod Tube.JPG
Rod Tube.JPG (24.28 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
There will be three forward on both sides. I was thinking of putting in three aft and you could easily carry twelve rods. I just dont think I will every carry that many rods. My fly rods fit great too.

This is a mock up before glassing. I wanted to see if they would fit.
Rodholder.JPG
Rodholder.JPG (22.66 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
The rod tubes extend through the forward compartment and go upward. I mounted the blocking higher so any drips would drain out to the cockpit.
Rod tube block.JPG
Rod tube block.JPG (21.48 KiB) Viewed 11394 times
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on.........
The forward two compartments got lightly faired, epoxy sealed, primer, and painted. The fuel tank, battery holder, and rod tubes all got installed. Here is some pics to check out and let me know if I'm doing good or bad. :wink:
Battery holder.JPG
Battery holder.JPG (23.08 KiB) Viewed 11355 times

The forward compartment will house the battery, and a small buss bar / fuse panel. The electrical on this skiff will be minimal. Running light, trim tabs, bilge pump (maybe), possibly a bait well.
Compartments A & B.JPG
Compartments A & B.JPG (19.71 KiB) Viewed 11355 times
I wanted them smooth so it would be easier to clean up when need be.
Forward compartment complete.JPG
Forward compartment complete.JPG (27.92 KiB) Viewed 11355 times
Here are the two completed compartments. Fuel tank and three rod tubes installed on each side. Tight fit but its in there. 8) Now the deck can be glued down to seal it up.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Looking good, looking good.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Thanks, Im getting in a hurry at this point. I want it done so I can go fishin. :dance: I picked up a jet ski trailer with a 1500 caring capacity. Im thinking off extending it to make a custom trailer for her. Most of the regular boat trailers I've looked at are way to wide. The jet ski trailers are the perfect width, just need to be extended. Seen it done where the tongue was the only thing extended. But I'm going to extend the trailer arm's them self. That way I can have longer bunks. I think it will turn out better this way verses doing just the tongue. Priced a custom trailer and it came out to about $2000. But it was nice all aluminum, torsion axle, and for a custom fit thats not a bad price. But I picked the jetski trailer up for a couple hundred and with the metal it looks like $50 more. We will see stay tuned........
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

hey, bud. All's well? DO you need for me to call our boss and make him give you some time to work on your sea mistress?
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

JaimeInTexas wrote:hey, bud. All's well? DO you need for me to call our boss and make him give you some time to work on your sea mistress?
Yea we need more updates.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Hey that would be great any help I can get I'll take. Ok here we go I've been working on it but its just been a bunch of boring stuff like fairing under the gunnels and in the corners. Its time consuming and not very photo worthy. I'm also mocking up a center box that will house a switch panel. With a grab rail on the top so when/if I stand and drive I'll have something to hold onto.
Here is some pictures....In this one you can see all the fairing under the gunnels. Its allot of work getting every seam and corner fair and smooth. But easier to do it now before the decks are glued down.
Fairing sides and corners.JPG
Fairing sides and corners.JPG (23.57 KiB) Viewed 11189 times
In this one I'm mocking up the center box. There will be an ice chest backed up to it lengthwise. The ice chest of course will double as a seat. Right now its just tapped together. I'm not sure if I want it this tall or not. It will house the switch panel, trim tab control, maybe a radio, cup holders for the adult beverages. :D
Center box mockup.JPG
Center box mockup.JPG (22.84 KiB) Viewed 11189 times
Here is another one from a different angle. I was thinking about cutting it down to be flush with the gunnels. Just not sure yet, what do yall think?
Centerbox trial fit.JPG
Centerbox trial fit.JPG (24.67 KiB) Viewed 11189 times
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D I'd leave it at the current height...the shorter one might be more pleasant in appearance, but the taller one would serve you better...easier to reach from a variety of positions, you needn't bend so far to do whatever needs to be done, etc. JMHO!
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Thanks for the update. Low console is fine as long as you never get in chop. If you need to stand you will be uncomfortable. Maybe a telescoping steering wheel column? Kind of kidding.
Stay patient and ignore us update junkies ... but not too much.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah its kinda growing on me the way it is. Its not nailed down yet but I think I'm getting use to the look of it.
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

I need a fix. I am hooked on your build and need to see some updates................For the record I think what you are doing is down right wonderful..........
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Lol, thanks its nice to hear. I know it been a while since I've updated. I haven't quit her yet. Just the progress is slowed down do to work and holidays. I will get some update pics on here tomorrow. Again thanks for the comments, they help motivation. :D
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Okay here is the latest pics, they don't look all that different from the last pic. But in the last pic the decks, and center console are just sitting there they aren't nailed down. Well there isn't any moving them now as they are glued in for sure.
Bow 1.JPG
Bow 1.JPG (25.98 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
Here I am fitting the front hatch. All the screw hole have to be drilled out oversize, then filled with thickened epoxy, sanded flush and re-drilled. Seems like allot of work but that should ensure that water never gets to the wood to rot it out. In theory anyway. :? The inside of the compartment is finished and painted already. You can see the battery holder bolted to the inside deck, and just aft of the hatch that hole is for the fuel filler. Same process on its mounting holes. But about the finished compartment, you see in preparation for gluing the deck down I tapped off the compartment with paper to prevent epoxy/wood-flour mixture (glue) from getting all over everything in there with the squeeze out. But it found its way though in a couple spots anyway. So its going to be fun trying to sand it out and repaint it. :roll:
Front hatch fitting.JPG
Front hatch fitting.JPG (27.79 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
Just a shot with the hatch closed. But in this shot you can also see a mistake. Or what is left of a mistake. To the port of the fuel filler hole you can see a spot of epoxy that is sanded flush. Well that was the first location of the filler neck. But I soon found out it was not going to work there do to the hose bending restraints. So I had to relocate it to the center to allow it to fit. Not my first choice but it grew on me after bitching for a day or so. To make the swap I just used the plug from the hole saw and glue to patch the other hole. The deck will be covered in glass so Im sure it will never pop out with foot traffic on it. And the only ones that will know is me and y'all. :D Thanks for looking guys and gals can't wait to get er done, but the cold front is really going to slow down work on it.
Front hatch.JPG
Front hatch.JPG (26.33 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Ok one more pic and then I gotta go. This is the tabbing of the center console really center box as this boat is tiller steer. I used plastic spoon handles to space it off the deck then added some bricks on the top of it to hold it in place real firm. Then just make some small fillets to tab it in place. After they dry the spoon handles are popped out and fillet the radius inside and out. Both inside and outside will get tapped as well.
Tabing CC.JPG
Tabing CC.JPG (22.87 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
Okay here's one more but its a crappy pic to say the least. You can see the shape better and the hatch cutout to access the inside. Like I said before the center box will house the switch panel, an rpm gauge, a radio (maybe), couple cup holders on top. But will also have some storage in it as well.
CC.JPG
CC.JPG (30.23 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
I got some lay out work to do on the aft section. I think I'm going to fit a live well in there somewhere. We will see what happens, stay turned. Thanks for looking and hope everybody's having a happy holidays.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Talented and very nice!!!!! Where are you at on the boat now. Sorry I just now saw this and have been reading it for the last thirty minutes.

It's like I'm part of a story
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Talented and very nice!!!!! Where are you at on the boat now. Sorry I just now saw this and have been reading it for the last thirty minutes.

It's like I'm part of a story
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

Have you noticed the number of viewer of the "FLATS STALKER" build by the Shamrock Kid. That is a record if I am not mistaken...............21,628................I guess there is some interest..............

Shamrock I really need a fix.............
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

CoastieCulture wrote:It's like I'm part of a story
Thanks for reading it and the compliments.
picaroon wrote:Shamrock I really need a fix.............
Here's the latest pics, the last thing I did was install the gunnel decks and trim them flush.
Gunnel12-20-13.JPG
Gunnel12-20-13.JPG (25.52 KiB) Viewed 10688 times
Here is a good shot from the bow looking down the gunnels. The gunnels are very strong, I can stand and walk on them no problem.
FS18 12-20-13.JPG
FS18 12-20-13.JPG (26.59 KiB) Viewed 10688 times
And one from down under. I still got allot of failing to do on her sides and stern. I hate fairing though. :evil:
Bow 12-20-13.JPG
Bow 12-20-13.JPG (20.45 KiB) Viewed 10688 times
Thanks guys, I never thought this build would take this long. I honestly thought I could complete this in four months. :| Now the plan is to finish it by spring!! 8)
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Nice build, Shamrock! You have made good progress in 6 month. I like that little console for electronics. Are you going to put a grab-bar on the top?

I did a Bateau canoe (CH-14) several years ago. I keep telling myself I need to build one of these FS18's. Then I read a build thread, and remember fairing my canoe, and how bothered I got by small details, and i put it off again... :oops:
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Thanks! Yes a grap rail is defenetly in order. Yeah I can only do so much fairing before my eyes cross. It's slow going lately, as a matter of fact I just pulled into Pensacola, FL. Going to be in FL till the 6th of Jan. :D Then back at it and a mad rush for a spring launch. Thank for the comments.
tipitina

Post by tipitina »

Anxiously awaiting the update :wink: