Post by Shamrock kid »

Johnny5455 wrote:Wow that's cool!
Thanks, I didn't get any work done today had to much work to do. :(
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Flats Stalker 18

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on one little step at a time. Sorry I had to fit some fishing trips in or I would go mad. :D
Working on getting the frames tabbed in place so I can fillet & tape them in on step wet on wet.
Hot glueing frame to batten.JPG
Hot glueing frame to batten.JPG (24.28 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Frames A, & B are already tabbed in place but didn't get any pics. Here is frame C being hot glued to a batten. This will keep it lined up while I tab it to the hull. Frames C & D are pieced in rather then being one piece like the others.
Check fit frames C & D.JPG
Check fit frames C & D.JPG (26.16 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
After hot glueing them to the batten I checked the fit to make sure they fit. I just used small spots of hot glue in a couple spots. This way I can pop the batten off after they are glued in.
Primed frames with epoxy.JPG
Primed frames with epoxy.JPG (28.42 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Then I removed and primed them with epoxy and set them back in to be filleted. You can also see frame E has had its edges primed with epoxy. Then set back in place to be filleted, I like to seal all the cut edges with two coats of epoxy. Extra step here should help out in the life of her.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

I haven't posted lately but I'm still at it.
Here's one of the frames after filleting, getting tape set in place.
Taping the frames.JPG
Taping the frames.JPG (21.79 KiB) Viewed 12011 times
And another.... After epoxying the tape. I try to keep it clean, but its hard.
All frames Taped.JPG
All frames Taped.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 12011 times
Here's the transom knee taped in place after being filleted.
Transom Knee.JPG
Transom Knee.JPG (24.83 KiB) Viewed 12011 times
At this point I have all the frames in place filleted, and taped. The next step is to add cleats to the frame tops. Then fill under the sole with foam, and add the sole and decks. :dance: Can't wait it will look more like a boat then and less like a school project. :lol:
Last edited by Shamrock kid on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

I couldn't resist throwing the decks on to see if they would really line up.
Decking in place.JPG
Decking in place.JPG (25.07 KiB) Viewed 12011 times
Guess what......they really fit. Seems like if you actually measure things they actually fit. :clap:
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

I need a cool name for her. She's a technical poling skiff so something to do with skinny water with out actually saying it would be cool. Any ideas?
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Okay started cutting and fitting the cleats that the soul, and deck will get glued to. There are lots of them and its going to take some time to cut fit then coat them in epoxy before glueing them in place. Not really fun but its some thing different.
The cleats are 1"X1" pine I ripped out.
Fitting cleats.JPG
Fitting cleats.JPG (25.36 KiB) Viewed 12013 times
I'm labeling each one so the final install will be easy.
Cleats.JPG
Cleats.JPG (28.3 KiB) Viewed 12013 times
After the cleats are installed I'll fill the void under the soul with polyurethane foam. It will add buoyancy to the boat and strength to the soul.
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

Awesome build man! Love watching the progress. When I get more time I'm going to inundate your message box with questions as I'm starting to get ancy with building one of these for myself.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

jimithing wrote:Awesome build man! Love watching the progress. When I get more time I'm going to inundate your message box with questions as I'm starting to get ancy with building one of these for myself.
Thanks, and ask away I'm willing to help as much as possible. Allot of my friends ask why I didn't start this build in the fall and then build it over the winter. Kinda makes since except I love fishing the fall and winter when the water is less crowded. Don't get me wrong I did miss some fishing. But either way I would have to sacrifice one for the other. It will be worth it in the end. So go for it bro any help I can give I will. Good luck!
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Thanks for the updates. Keep going, steady progress. Errors creep in if you get antsy and rush things. Make sure to broadcast the time and place of your maiden voyage.

If I ever get to where I can do a build, I think I will do something akin to your stalker but in 12ft to 14ft in length.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

JaimeInTexas wrote:Thanks for the updates. Keep going, steady progress. Errors creep in if you get antsy and rush things. Make sure to broadcast the time and place of your maiden voyage.

If I ever get to where I can do a build, I think I will do something akin to your stalker but in 12ft to 14ft in length.
Your welcome and thank you. Yeah some days are one step forward and two back. :oops: But I guess it comes with the territory. I will try and get some video of the launch. If not I will take allot of pics. :D According to the designer you can can go up or down 10%. I'm not sure what that equates to as far as down sizing. But it could be done. Or another design all together. Either way just get out there and build something. :clap:

Oh yeah all I did today was remove the cleats that I already fitted. Then but on two coats of epoxy. Not really pic worthy but I took some anyway. I'll post up later.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Still building bit by bit.... I've got most of the cleats cut, fit, labeled, then removed them and sealed them with epoxy. They were then glued in place on the stringers, frames, and side panels. Then I starting working out the chase tubes. I have two forward compartments that are going to be used as a battery locker, and a fuel tank locker. The bigger chase tube will double as a compartment drain and fuel hose chase. The smaller ones are for electrical wiring. This will be a very basic boat nav lights, bilge pump, trim tabs. Motor is pull start. I plan to build a center box with a grab handle on top. The switch panel will mount there.
Chase tubes and drain under sole..JPG
Chase tubes and drain under sole..JPG (32.67 KiB) Viewed 11849 times
This tube will be trimmed flush after the deck has been installed permanent. The fuel hose will go right through, also any water that makes its way into the compartment will also go through it and drain into the motor well. I hoping to get them finished and start filling the voids with floatation foam this weekend.
Second compartment.JPG
Second compartment.JPG (22.37 KiB) Viewed 11849 times
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Got all the chase tubes routed and glued in. Then started filling the voids under the sole with foam. This will do two things, it will add floatation, but also add strength to the sole as it is only 1/4" think. The design specs it that size to save on weight. So I wanted to make sure I'm not going to crash through it if I trip coming off the poling platform.
Foam 2.JPG
Foam 2.JPG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 11785 times
It's some fun stuff to work with but sticky and messy. I started on the outside voids filling them and letting it expand. Then trim it off and put the trimmings in the next void.
Foam 5.JPG
Foam 5.JPG (37.45 KiB) Viewed 11785 times
Before I knew it I was on the last one. After its all done I think even if I split the boat in half it will still float.
Foam 7.JPG
Foam 7.JPG (25.63 KiB) Viewed 11785 times
It was a break from all the other stuff I've been doing. Kind of cool 2 part foam mix pour, and watch it grow. Then trim it off with a hand crosscut saw before it gets too hard. It gets hot though I noticed how hot the saw blade got after cutting off a couple of the big center sections.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Also Got the sole laid out and cut. Then test fitted, came out okay on the first try with no trimming.
Sole 2.JPG
Sole 2.JPG (24.17 KiB) Viewed 11785 times
You can even kind of see in this pic were I drew a center line on the sole, and on the frame. I like center lines its easier to work that way. Well they actually line up perfectly and they are pencil lines, real skinny. I don't know how that happened but glad it did.
Sole 4.JPG
Sole 4.JPG (26.33 KiB) Viewed 11785 times
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

The foam was not sprayed but a mix. Where you get that stuff?
Will you also glue the sole or will you just screw into place?
It is starting to look like you are close for a test float.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

JaimeInTexas wrote:The foam was not sprayed but a mix. Where you get that stuff?
Will you also glue the sole or will you just screw into place?
It is starting to look like you are close for a test float.
The foam was a two part mix, you just mix equal parts of it for 45 seconds then pour into the void quickly. Then it takes off expanding just like the spray stuff. Bateau.com sells in on their website. U.S. Composites also sells it online. It's US Coastguard approved floatation foam required by commercial builders. The sole will be glued down no hardware will hold this boat together. Where I do penetrate the hull like for the tow hook on the bow. I oversized the hole and then filled it with thickened epoxy. After that set I redrilled the correct size holes. That way if any water did get past it will only touch epoxy not wood. I will do this for any hole that penetrates the hull or decks. It's allot more work but its well worth it.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Hmm. Interesting. Drilling oversized holes in wood to epoxy and drill, that is.
No back plate?
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Oh no definitely a backing plate. Like on the bow tow eye I increased the thickness by epoxy glueing or laminating pieces of marine plywood on the inside of the hull. Then the drill, fill, drill technique. Also the tow eye has a stainless backing plate. The stern tie down eyes will be the same way. Increase hull thinkness, drill, fill, drill, stainless ubolt stainless plate inside, and out.
But for instance the drain tube passing thru the transom is a brass drain tube that will be crimped in place. It's 1 1/4" diameter, I drilled the hole 1 3/4" filled with thickened epoxy. Then drilled my 1 1/4" hole. I'll use 5200 to seal it during the crimping. If water ever did get past the 5200 it would only touch epoxy not get to the wood and I don't have to deal with a rotten transom.
The rub rail I'll be installing does use screws. So there will be screws on this boat, just not holding it together. Instead of screwing them though the fiberglass into the wood, I'll do the drill, fill, drill technique. I hope this makes since. I'll try and get some pics up of it soon.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

It makes sense. Do not go through any extra efforts on my account, you have plenty on your plate already, working for a living, family and building.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

JaimeInTexas wrote:It makes sense. Do not go through any extra efforts on my account, you have plenty on your plate already, working for a living, family and building.
Yeah I do, but I wouldn't have it any other way. If I wasn't doing this I'd be doing something else. I just can't sit down and sit still. If I ever do get to retire Ill be finishing as much as possible.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

This thread has been fun to watch. You have a great talent and skill with the way you work your wood amigo. I can't wait to see more of it.

That is going to be one beautiful boat.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Barnacle Bill wrote:This thread has been fun to watch. You have a great talent and skill with the way you work your wood amigo. I can't wait to see more of it.

That is going to be one beautiful boat.
Yeah I've always taken pride in my wood workin. :D Thanks more pics coming soon.
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

keep it up man! im pretty stoked right now as i got my plans in today. can wait to be where youre at right now.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

A cosmetic suggestion. Put a design on the sole as part of the finish. Being that you are spending a lot of time with this "sea mistress," you should consider putting your wife's picture. :lol:
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

jimithing wrote:keep it up man! im pretty stoked right now as i got my plans in today. can wait to be where youre at right now.
Hey glad to see that! Do you know if your going to build it out of wood or all composite? Cant wait to see your build!
JaimeInTexas wrote:A cosmetic suggestion. Put a design on the sole as part of the finish. Being that you are spending a lot of time with this "sea mistress," you should consider putting your wife's picture. :lol:
Lol, the sole will get mostly covered with kiwi grip. There will also be a cooler (Yeti maybe) mounted in the center length wise. Right behind that a small center box with grab rail on top. The box will house switches and have storage in it.

Not much going on lately prepping the the sole for glue down this weekend. I put three coats of epoxy on the underside. That should seal it up real good. Also glued on some mounting blocks in the location the cooler mounting hardware will go. This will thicken the sole to give it something to mount to. I also did some work on the transom. I got the hold down eye holes drilled, filled, and re-drilled. I oversized the hole twice what it needs to be. Then filled them in with thickened epoxy. Let that dry, then sand it off. Re-drill to the correct size hole. You end up with a hole that is 100% epoxy, vs a hole that is epoxy on the outside, wood in the middle, and epoxy on the inside. This way if water does find its way in ( i should say when water finds it way in). It won't rot out the wood, but the wood is marine plywood anyway. Okay enough typing time for pics.
Oversized holes.
Oversized holes drilled.JPG
Oversized holes drilled.JPG (19.93 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
Filled with epoxy and sanded.
Drilled  & Filled.JPG
Drilled & Filled.JPG (20.3 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
Redrilled
Drilled, Filled, & re-drilled.JPG
Drilled, Filled, & re-drilled.JPG (21.22 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
Its allot more work but I only want to do it once. And this boat will live a long life. :D
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

......Also I use backing block's on these as well.
Backing block.JPG
Backing block.JPG (27.72 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
Test fitted the tie down eye.
Test fit tie down.JPG
Test fit tie down.JPG (20.93 KiB) Viewed 11673 times
I need to block and re-prime the transom. Its easy to sand through the primer with a ro sander. :?