SUP Custom Paddle Build

MulletOver

SUP Custom Paddle Build

Post by MulletOver »

Boatbuilding's Finest,

I recently completed a wooden paddle board build http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=206444. For those that do not want the entire build here is a slightly awkward snapshot of the final product....

I had bought a cheapo paddle just because I wanted to get on the water quickly and try my Zebra Beast out. I also wanted an adjustable paddle so different friend/visitors could try it out. But in my mind I formulated a plan to build a custom SUP paddle just for me!! :twisted:

I used a bunch of scrap cedar left over for the paddle board and bought clean ash boards at Lowes. I am not fortunate enough to own a table saw, so you can bet it was difficult to rip those long skinny pieces for the handle. The shaft itself is two pieces of cedar and two pieces of ash all sandwiched together (the cross section is a four piece checkerboard). The blade is the result of a TON of planning and sanding. The handle is made from a clear piece of cherry I got from Houston Hardwoods. I hand carved it with a knife, and did some Dremel work and of course... sanding.

The blade is fiberglassed on both sides and the entire paddle is epoxied. I also varnished the whole thing with a bunch of coats. I did NOT varnish the handle piece as I heard varnish can become slightly "tacky" with heavy use and then raise blisters. Any of yall heard something like that before?

Lemme know what yall think and any suggestions for future creations. I am always open to advice / ideas. Keep them wood chips curling...

-MulletOver
christian

Re: SUP Custom Paddle Build

Post by christian »

Wow. Very cool. Great work on both the paddle and sup.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Yep
Looks like you have the disease ,great looking builds and I bet you already have a new one in mind
Ron
RoosterTX

Post by RoosterTX »

Wow!

That is beautiful!
StuckInTheMud

Post by StuckInTheMud »

In building this, do you think a little wider would have been better or was it pretty stable as the plans said to build? Now that I'm infected with the disease, one of these would be fun to do. I've built a canoe, a pirogue, and already have 2 kayaks. Dont "really" have room for a SUP board but it would be fun in the marsh poling around for reds.
MulletOver

Post by MulletOver »

StuckInTheMud wrote:In building this, do you think a little wider would have been better or was it pretty stable as the plans said to build? Now that I'm infected with the disease, one of these would be fun to do. I've built a canoe, a pirogue, and already have 2 kayaks. Dont "really" have room for a SUP board but it would be fun in the marsh poling around for reds.

Very stable. I was just up in Arkansas on the Spring River and was able to fly-fish from it standing up no problem.

As far as room goes it is pretty "thin" I hang mine up against the side of the garage and it takes up virtually no room. Its also really light so it hangs well.

it is a disease....
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Disease....So that is what I got, 15 or whatever boats later, it just gets outa hand and outa room...Great looking build....
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Nice paddle! Nice SUP too!