Big Thicket Sabalo

Woodnyakr409

Big Thicket Sabalo

Post by Woodnyakr409 »

Hello All:

I am impatiently awaiting the plans for my Sabalo 15 from Jem Watercraft. As I wait for the magical pictures and instructions to arrive I have been attempting to source and accumulate some supplies.

Numerous trips to the various lumber suppliers has not impressed me. I did see a nice "looking"sheet of Virola for less than $14. The interweb google machine says that is in the luan family and it has a veneer core. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. The lack of reliable plywood has me looking at the numerous SS&G boats being shown. I have a small quantity of cypress out back and could supplement that with some cedar from the box store. That build would also require the purchase of a planer. Always wanted one of those.... I'll keep everyone posted if/when I decide. Thanks.

Curt
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Big Thicket Sabalo

Post by bowgarguide »

Do the ss@g you want be sorry.
Ron
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

My last S&G, I used 3ply 1/8'' Baltic Birch 5x5 sheets at $11. And works great....

Just built a camper out of Baltic Birch of various thicknesses...
Woodnyakr409

Post by Woodnyakr409 »

Well....As I predicted, the cold weather hit right about the time I was ready to put her in the water. Here is a short clip of my JEM Sabalo in the pond in the back yard. All hatch covers were open or removed for the maiden float to look out for leaks. There were two. :evil: I have located them and hope to exercise them this week. The mirage drive really gets her moving in the short space I had to work with. I am still playing around with rudder designs. More pics or vids to follow. I am chomping at the bit to cast a line.

[url]http://youtu.be/JUln2KVG4O0/url]