Camping forum !!!!

Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Camping forum !!!!

Post by Zebco »

Paddlefoot wrote:
Zebco wrote:I love camping, but whenever I talk about it to somebody it turns out they have an RV or some kind of trailer with AC and a TV.

I, on the other hand, have a tent, and an ice chest.

Well, actually, a JetBoil, a nice air mattress and sleeping bag, and lots of other stuff I've accumulated over the years.

So, what is camping?
Okay....you have a valid point, but just getting out for the weekend to enjoy what God has blessed with is enough. It's the opportunity to reprogram, de-stress....whatever. It's cooking out over a fire. It doesn't matter if you sleep on the ground in a tent or in an air conditioned camper, it's just the experience. I personally used to LOVE backpacking and "roughing it". My family wasn't so keen on that though and I found that we would only go camping a couple of times a year. So to get them to participate, I went the direction of "roughing it gently". I don't believe it lessens the experience for me. My camper is a tiny thing and it's not made to sit in for a whole weekend. But it's a nice escape during the blistering heat of the afternoon or during a torrential rainfall. It's also nice to have a comfortable place to sleep at night. We tend to camp more often because the experience is pleasant. Now we camp at least 8 times a year.

So, you need to decide what your own definition is, while not judging others because of their own definitions.

I used to have a pop-up, and had some great times in it. But started to have trouble with the lifting/lowering mechanism, and while I could still work it I just thought it became too much of a hassle. Now back in the tent world and I like the simplicity.

My girlfriend and I like to rent cabins too.

I wasn't being judgmental.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I enjoy all kinds of camping ..... kinda like kayaking .. it's hard to have just one set up. Many of us end up with several different ways to get out and enjoy nature.
It's all good and there to be enjoyed while we still can. 8)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Zebco wrote:So, what is camping?
The older I get, the more the definition changes :)

When I was a kid, it was taking a tarp and mosquito net and some food, piling it in a dugout canoe and heading down the lake somewhere. We didn't have water filters, but would boil our drinking water to kill the parasites. Always found plenty of firewood, never had to take any.

Now, most parks prohibit you from gathering firewood, I like having running (purified) water, and electricity to run my lights and fan, and I take a tent cot :). If I had an RV or travel trailer, I'm sure I'd make use of it, at least for the air conditioning in the summer.

But for me, especially when camping with friends, the main enjoyment of camping is FISHING, COOKING over a fire, and sitting around a fire at night visiting. Now that my kids are older and don't have time to camp with me, I find I seldom cook though, it's just not the same if you don't have someone to share it with :(

I doesn't bother me if friends want to bring an RV or travel trailer while I camp in a tent, but I am NOT likely to spend any time watching TV!
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I totally agree, camping is just plain great. Outside, fresh air, etc. I use a tent cot with a small fan and it does me great. I have a small utility trailer that hauls all my camp & fish gear and I carry my Yak on it. I try to keep it simple. Do not go camping to watch TV or sit inside an A/C environment. I go to get out, but that is me doing my thing. Too each their own.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

TD wrote:I enjoy all kinds of camping ..... kinda like kayaking .. it's hard to have just one set up. Many of us end up with several different ways to get out and enjoy nature.
It's all good and there to be enjoyed while we still can. 8)
Ya know, TD, after comparing scars,,, I just don't know anymore,,,, When I wake up, I am dam glad I did, then I get pissed cuz that means one less day on the calender..like you said,,,, ENJOY IT WHILE WE STILL CAN,,,,,
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Randy
I wish more folks would realize that.
If anyone ever watches Dr Phil he has a saying a defining moment in your life. Well mine was in 1968 while I was on a little outing in southeast asia.I realized that the odds were I would never see another sunrise,well I beat the odds but I promised myself to enjoy someting everyday,and do as many things as I could,now if I live to be 200 I might just about complete that list.
When I croak I want to come sliding in with a drink in one hand and a jealous boyfriend on my heels yelling it was a he$$ of a ride.
Ron
Sand Trout

Post by Sand Trout »

Bluffer wrote:Will it last though? cant see the demand.
I would have guessed you to be right, Bluffer.

I think it might last, afterall. For me, it's one stop shopping. We like to camp and I expect to be searching and contributing to the Camping Forum. Who knew??? :shock: