Labor Day Weekend on Mt Fork and Little Rivers

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Labor Day Weekend on Mt Fork and Little Rivers

Post by Earl »

I just posted this on the Freshwater forum but just now saw that we finally have a camping forum. WOW, thanks for this forum. I am sure it will be informative for all. Many of my trips are overnight trips from beaches, bays, rivers, to lakes. I am always learning how to pack lighter, pack smarter, good food, easy food, water supplies, information on locations, etc. Looking forward to reading the posts on here.

**********************************************************************************************************
Finally got the whole family on a trip, my 3 boys and my wife, her first overnight kayak trip. We made a trip down the lower Mountain Fork and Little River in Oklahoma over the Labor Day weekend. The put it was at Ambush Adventures next to Hwy 70 (Saturday) and the take out was Horatio, Ar, (Monday). They were not releasing much water my guess is <200 cfs. We paddled about 7 miles the first day and camped at a private property called WW10 along the Mt Fork. There were some tall clouds and thunder in the area but we never got any rain. The water was cool and refreshing and made for a good way to cool off at the end of the day. The fishing was ok, with some crappie, small mouth, and perch. Dinner the first night consisted of steak, potatoes, and green beans.

The next morning we had sausage, eggs and toast. We got packed up an on the water by 9am and stopped at the Mt Fork and Little River confluence for a snack, some fishing and swimming. While fishing at the confluence I caught a saugeye. I had never caught one before but after reviewing the pictures and description of a walleye vs. a saugeye, I concluded it was indeed a saugeye. Just around the bend from the confluence there is a great rope swing on river left. The boys and I enjoyed this for about an hour while the wife took pictures. We got on our way down river and came to our next nights campsite which was a set of 3 islands. We arrived about 1:40 and set up camp. I set up a shade over the water and put my wife’s chair down in the water. She got her book and sat down for the rest of the afternoon and stayed cool with the water flowing past her legs. Later I poured her a glass of wine and brought her some appetizers, she was getting pretty laid back about all this kayak/camping stuff. I had caught some white bass earlier in the day and had them on a stringer tied to the shade close to her chair. Around 4pm she hollers over at me and says that there is a snake trying to eat one of my fish. I though right, well I get over there and here she is with her feet in the air and there is a 10 inch copper head with his mouth clamped on the back of one of the fish. Quite the ambitious little guy, I scared him off and he swam downstream. To my delight my wife was not that bothered about the whole thing and had her feet back in the water once he was gone. I gathered some small muscles with the help from one of my boys and later cooked them in some olive oil, white wine, garlic, onions, and tomato sauce for about 10 mins and had these with my fish, potatoes, and green beans. The muscles were a little tough but good, the fish well, excellent. I did find a couple of small pearls in the muscles. The wife and boys had pork chops, green beans, potatoes, and pineapple. As the daylight diminished the bats began to flutter above and the owls made their presence known. A little later the nearly full moon peaked above the trees and the night was lit up. I slept in a chair next to the fire until about 11pm, the wife and two of the boys were in the tents and my oldest had his bag out under the stars and moon. The next morning we all had oatmeal, toast and juice. We quickly packed up and got on the water about 7:45. We made it to the take out in Horatio by 10:45 and were all loaded on our way by 11:30. The total distance from put in to take out is about 28 miles. This was my 6 or 7th trip down this river but the first with my whole family. Here are a few pictures.

Get out and get wet,

Earl
NativeHunter

Re: Labor Day Weekend on Mt Fork and Little Rivers

Post by NativeHunter »

Great Post! Great Pics!
Someday hopefully me and my kids, after my little one is old enough will do the same.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Boy, those apples didn't fall far from your tree. :D :D :D Looks like a wonderful weekend!!!
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

I think WW10 is WhiporWhill's 10 mile private launch site behind weyerhauser. I am not sure if whiporwill's still does shuttle service. Ambush got the prime location. Nice owner's, staff, and dogs....

A 28 mile paddle with your wife and 3 boys is an excellent vacation. Well done.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Did you eat the white bass that was bit by the copperhead?
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

yep, I did cook it though. Sometimes I eat sushi on the river but I cooked those guys. I figure the venom to be heat labile. I am not really sure he penetrated the fish anyways.

Earl
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

I am home now, and I can see the pictures. That looked like an awesome trip. You have a great looking family and it really looks like they enjoyed the trip.
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

Awesome family trip. Enjoyed the read. And the meals sounded quite tasty. :)