LED camp Light review

TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

LED camp Light review

Post by TDD »

I have so many different camping lanterns and lights from coleman fuel/gasoline to propane and several different D/C florescent and LED lights. The LED's are definately nice but usually not as bright and the batteries simply on't last very long. While doing a little search for another thread here I ran across this one:
http://www.batterysavers.com/best-campi ... review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered it .. it came in yesterday and I can say that I am truly impressed ...... I am ordering another one 8)
This is a BadA$$ LED light ......... It's small and well made and it is BRIGHT .. really BRIGHT for an LED ... 4 watts / 300 LUMENS .. and it runs on 3 cheap D batteries for 150 hrs. (that is a full month at 5 hrs. a night for $6 worth of batteries :shock:) and did I say that it is BRIGHT .. :lol:
$35 and it comes with a $8 4 pack of D batteries

I very highly recomend it and rate it at A++ ......... 8)

Ponky

Re: LED camp Light review

Post by Ponky »

yea i have so many lights to bro but those things are cool man. i have 4 of those. wenever i dont have propane i take that lil thing dude.
i always carry one in my back pack and i put one to use last week when the power from the skool went out dew to a storm LOL. i popped it out and iluminated the whole lab easy, now the teacher has one haha! they are battery savers tho...
i think im gona fix one up to put on the kayak, i'll just put some aluminum foil or something so it can shine forward not all over the place ina 360. its Water Proof too! hope it floats though LOL!
cadruss2004
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cadruss2004 »

Nice, I'll have to get a couple.

Porky, why do you want to cover part of the light?
A 360 degree white light is the minimum requirement for nigth boating for kayaks, according to the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) and state reg's.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

You can get it at Amazon for $28.52 with free shipping.......

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN-Sp ... B0018S4XIS
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

I'm new to the LED thing, I've used a Primus gas lantern for the past few years. It uses the isobutane canisters (the same for my stove) lights up the campsite. I Also carry two REI candle lanterns for night lights. I just bought a Coleman Exponent LED lantern to fill in the gap, it should be good for a tent light but haven't tried it out yet, it uses the same batteries as my flash light. With 150 hours of run time I would have gotten that instead of the Coleman.

Primus lantern: burn time 12-24 hours, about like a 80 watt bulb
REI candle lantern: burn time 10 hours, soft light
Coleman LED lantern: burn time 5-12 hours, 100 lums
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Paddlefoot wrote:You can get it at Amazon for $28.52 with free shipping.......

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN-Sp ... B0018S4XIS
Thanks .. I hadn't ordered the second one yet so will from Amazon tonight now.
It's funny that Amazon has the Rayovac Lantern but has CopperTop batteries in it instead of Rayovac batteries .... I like the CopperTops ...... I just bet that Rayovac ain't happy :lol:

t-man .... the Primus lantern will be nice to knock the chill off in the tent when the weather is cold

I found my 2 1/2 gal. propane bottle in the storage yeaterday so need to clean it up/paint and use it with one of my NorthStar gas lanterns (instead of the expensive quart canisters) for the truck camp light. I owe Randy a couple of canisters. :wink:
Camping Yakker

Post by Camping Yakker »

I just bought one also. There went the money for your exercise thingy.
upthecreek

Post by upthecreek »

Thanks TD,

Just ordered one from the home site then after saw the amazon site post.... :cry:

O well..just what I needed.

upthecreek
oo7texas

Post by oo7texas »

I was looking at that coleman flourescent lantern that you have side by side but i haven't ordered it from ebay yet. In your opinion, the led is better than the coleman flourescent?...what is the pros and cons of the flourescent one?
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

My Coleman #5355 has never been used outside only inside for a few minutes .... it is not scratched anyplace has 2 brand new 6 volt batteries and a 12 volt cig. lighter plug comes with it. I will sell it to you for $25.00 You pick up in the Galv. area or you pay shipping.

Pros: It is bright (don't know the watts or lumin rating) ... it will plug into a 12 volt with the supplied cig. lighter plug and you can order replacement UltraViolet (UV-DLT) Fluorescent Tubes (black lights) for night nature photography or geology work .... http://flashlightsunlimited.com/delanterncamp.htm..." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. it's a Coleman so is quality and works very well etc. etc.

Cons: It is heaver and I don't know the run time (12 volt should run a good while) but LED is lighter and should run longer.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

TD,

I could have used that LED light last year when hurricane Ike payed us a visit. That light would be great for sitting on the tailgate of my pickup truck while I fiddle with stuff in the dark. Thanks for the info.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Thanks for posting that TD. I've been less than impressed with the LED lanterns on the market but I'm definitely going to order one of those.
Camping Yakker

Post by Camping Yakker »

Got mine today and it really spreads the light. Hope it lives up to the battery life. Thanks for the info.
LC yakr

Post by LC yakr »

TD - appreciate the inputs as I have been debating on purchasing one and you may have pushed me over the edge!

Thanks for the review!
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

I have three of these lights that I use instead fo the old style lanterns. I add foil to cover almost 3 sides of the lantern. This projects all of the light in one direction, so I can shine it on my rods and it will not shine in my face.