Tent Recommendations

upthecreek

Tent Recommendations

Post by upthecreek »

Hi All,

I am looking for a tent that I could use car camping as well as small enough to fit in my kayak (pungo12 sink).

Do not want a one man but at least what they consider a 2 man with room to sit up inside it.

Easy and quick to put up for an old uncoordinated guy.

Would like to keep price under 100 bucks.

Also do you favor a foam mat for sleeping bag or a blowup type.

thanks
upthecreek
Mr23779

Re: Tent Recommendations

Post by Mr23779 »

Check out the Alps Mountaineering Comet 2.0
http://www.rei.com/product/722840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Light, compacts well, with easy and fast to setup. I have one and LOVE it.
zarco

Post by zarco »

I've had a Coleman 2 person tent for a while now. I treated it with Camp Dry and so far it has worked great even under a heavy downpour.
One thing I would look for in a tent is a rain-fly that DOES NOT cover the whole tent. I've used one and the sale air inside it was pretty bad. On mine the rain fly extends past the windows so it lets a little fresh air thru. It also leaves a gap between the rain-fly and the tent to let the hot air out.
I hope this helps
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Having been a motorcycle rider for 35 years you always look for compact things or ways of doing things due to the same type of limited space you have on a kayak. I've used these guys for several years.

http://www.redlinegear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I use one I picked up for about $70. Its the no limits kings peak. just enough room to sit up (not stand). Good for two average size adults (say 6' or less and under 225 lbs.) Not much extra room for gear with two folks, but thats what the yak is for. As for performance in the rain, thats yet to be tested. It does keep a heavy dew out. Easy set-up and take down, but it isn't free standing (needs stakes). It traps heat to keep you warm with the rain fly and is cool without it (top is mostly mesh). Packs down to about 4" round X 14" long, and weighs in at less than 5 lbs. Throw in a sleeping pad (I use the thermarest Z-lite) and it is perfect for yak camping. My wife and I used it on a trip and had plenty of room for two. I'm still curious to see how it holds up to a good rain though.

For a pad, I like the thermarest Z-lite. It is closed cell foam, so you dont have to worry about it leaking. It does pack a bit larger than a roll up, but it is ultralight. As for a sleeping bag recommendation, I dont usually use one so someone else will have to comment. A twin sized air mattress is about as big as will fit so if there will be two of you and you want to go that route, I'd go with a bigger tent.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... 40620-4951
mackerel

Post by mackerel »

I would recommend the camp dome 2 from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/731378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a great little tent for the price. I have used mine on several PACK trips. If you know PACK you know that the weather does not always cooperate. This tent has survived 40 mph winds and in heavy rain I have always been dry. I own several high dollar tents that I use when weight is an issue but for the money you can't beat the camp dome 2.
osok

Post by osok »

X2
mackerel wrote:I would recommend the camp dome 2 from REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/731378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a great little tent for the price. I have used mine on several PACK trips. If you know PACK you know that the weather does not always cooperate. This tent has survived 40 mph winds and in heavy rain I have always been dry. I own several high dollar tents that I use when weight is an issue but for the money you can't beat the camp dome 2.
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

thanks for posting this. I've been looking at tents also.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

I have a Magellan from Academy, I don't remember the model, bit it has an orange rain fly. Netting all the way around for warm weather, quick and easy to set up, light weight, and a full size cot fits inside , I think it was @ 39.00 bucks when I bought it. It is not on the Academy web site but they have 'em on the shelf.
upthecreek

Post by upthecreek »

Thanks guys for all the feedback.
I may have found my first tent .
Its a tent that fits in the back of my truck at a very good price of 75 bucks. It can be used on the ground but of course has no bottom in it but could be used in a pinch.
The user reviews are very high and with that price can't pass it up.
Most of my camping by far will be truck camping so going to give this one a try.
The idea of having a tent off the ground in a truck bed is very appealing to me.
Will let you know how tent works.
Sorry for the misleading orginal post but have changed my priorities.

upthecreek
gkendrick

Post by gkendrick »

Did you get a tent yet? I like the MSR Hubba series. The Hubba is for one, the HubbaHubba is for two, and the MutherHubba is for three. Light weight, packs small, durable, very water proof, and easy to set up/take down. I have weathered many thunderstorms in my HubbaHubba and stayed totally dry. If you get the footprint (highly recommended) you can set up a shelter using the rainfly and footprint only.

gkendrick
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I agree ...... It's a very nice 2 person tent if ya have $300 + footprint to spend ....... I hope to buy one when I'm back working for a while.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I am trying to find the one that says"Pull string and it sets up instantly, Pull string again and it jumps back into the bag."
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

If there is one thing I like to have, it's room space to put all of my gear in if nasty weather arrives. I prefer a 7'x7' four sided square pop up tent. I can put my gear, like my fully strung 66" recurve, quiver on one side of the tent along with a sleeping bag on one of the other sides of the tent, usually directly across from my bow. Any miscellaneous stuff goes on the third side opposite the door side. This gives me room in the middle of the tent to dress and nothing impedes my way going out the door side of the tent.
tx246

Post by tx246 »

I rely heavily on my Eureka Apex. Spend the money on the aluminum tent poles. This tent has spent 100 nights or more in the field. It has withstood storms with winds in the 50mph range. Has good ventilation and very good in the staying dry department. It is compact enough to use on my 10ft heritage yak and on motorcycle trips.

I prefer blow up air mattresses. Intex used to sell a simple fabric covered one through many retailers but Im afraid lawyers have made this thing something of the past. I can find them on websites in Europe and Asia but nada in the good ole US. Im sure someone used it in a pool and died. The trick to getting the most comfort and durability is to NOT fill it to max capacity with air. Just put enough in it that when you roll around on it nothing (hip/shoulder) contacts the ground. I have an Exped 7.5 ultralite air mattress that I use when space is at a premium.