Hammock
27%

Total votes: 44

kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Tent or hammock?

Post by kayakbassTX »

It's been a while since I went camping but wanted some input for the more experienced campers. I will be mainly camping on lakes and looking for comfort and easy setup. I am currently looking at the Warbonnet blackbird hammock. From what I've been reading hammocks seem to be very comfortable versus sleeping in a tent plus the mobility of a hammock in case I want to do a river trip. Thoughts please.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Tent or hammock?

Post by Night Wing »

For me, I prefer a 4 sided, 7'x7' pop up tent. In inclement weather, I can store all of my equipment such as my fully strung 66" or 68" archery bows. I can't do that with a hammock.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

bclarkmsu wrote:I am currently looking at the Warbonnet blackbird hammock. From what I've been reading hammocks seem to be very comfortable versus sleeping in a tent plus the mobility of a hammock in case I want to do a river trip. Thoughts please.
Lots of these threads popping up lately. I like to see that!

The Blackbird is THE premier hammock on the market. Trust me!
See this thread for pictures of my BB: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=128990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get yourself over to Hammock Forums http://www.hammockforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and learn more than you've ever wanted to know.

If you order a Blackbird, tell Brandon that "Alan" from hammockforums.net sent you.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I have a hammock and three tents
I use what I need for the trip
My small tent is a Eureka WindRiver-2 Alumi-clip - 4-pole hex dome backpacking tent
My middle sized tent is a Eureka WindRiver-4 - 4-pole hex dome tent (my old car camping tent)
And my large car camping tent is a Eureka Equinox-6 - 6-pole, center hub, stand up inside tent.

I use the hammock for stealth camping along the rivers
Last edited by CaptJack on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
stag3

Post by stag3 »

Whether you choose a hammock or tent should depend a lot on where you intend to camp. For example:
:( I did a float down the Buffalo River in Arkansas. We tented on the sand bars. A hammock would have been really difficult (maybe useless) to use due to the thick undergrowth around the trees.
:D Now the other side-hiked the Appalachian Trail and there were many places where there was not a flat spot for a tent. The hammock was great.
:( Went to the NW US wilderness areas and the trees were so large (maybe 2-3 ft diameter) that the hammock straps would need to be 15 to 20 ft long.

In some state parks, it's sometimes tough to find two suitable trees spaced at 15 ft.

So, no single solution--advanced planning is essential.

Stag3
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

I've used a "Slick Shelter" when I camped allot on my bike.

http://www.redlineroadgear.com/store/ag ... oduct=tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have a tent and a camping cot that gets me off the ground by about 3 inches.
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

This the information I'm looking for guys. Please keep it coming and Thanks for the input so far.

Alan,
where do you camp most times if you don't mind me asking? River or parks?
Redfish4me

Post by Redfish4me »

I use a Coleman hooligan 2 tent. There is only 1 pole to use, so the set up is very easy. It fits very well under my seat in the center storage of my X-13.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

bclarkmsu wrote: Alan,
where do you camp most times if you don't mind me asking? River or parks?
Thus far, only in parks and/or on a hiking trail. A group of us go up to Stubblefield several times a year.
I've been wanting to do an overnighter on Spring Creek and you can bet it will be in my hammock.
Too Busy

Post by Too Busy »

I have 2 hammocks and 3 different sized tents. I take what the situation demands, but my preference is sleeping in the hammock.

You'd be surprised about how creative you can be to get the hamock off the ground. Craziest thing I ever had to do was build a tripod from 3 pieces of deadfall and a length of 550 cord for one end.

The thing about a hammock; You can lay it on the ground if you have to use it as a tent. Use your paddle sections as endpoles for a ridge line for your rain fly.

You can't hang a tent from trees to get off the ground. :wink:
NTXAg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NTXAg »

i have two tents, a solo backpacker and a three person backpacker, 3 person has a big enough vestibule to store most thing.

To me hammocks are only good in the summer, heat loss through convection is a pain in the winter.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

NTXAg wrote:To me hammocks are only good in the summer, heat loss through convection is a pain in the winter.
I have ZERO problems hanging in the winter. It's all about having the right gear.

It's a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock with a Speer SnugFit underquilt w/ 900 fill goose down. I stay VERY warm in this setup. I can easily get down to the teens with this setup before having to worry about a topquilt or added insulation, like clothing or using an Exped DownMat 9 inflatable.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I use a pop up tent that is a free standing dome,ridden a couple bad storms out in it, use a army cot .I like the fact I can get out of the weather sit up and still be under cover and also it is a 8 by 7 so I can store my gear inside. I do a lot of river camping and hunting in most places it is rock are sand so no place to hang a hammock or drive a stake.
I dont do stealth camping here on the Brazos if your up in the trees you are on private land.
Ron
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Judging from the polls so far, the tent is starting to distance itself from the hammock percentage wise.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Joe - if I'm going camping down a river I'm taking both my hammock and my small 2-man backpacking tent - with my small Z-Rest pad.
Mr23779

Post by Mr23779 »

Night Wing wrote:Judging from the polls so far, the tent is starting to distance itself from the hammock percentage wise.
Not reallyl surprising to me. True camping hammock systems are sort of a niche market.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

CaptJack wrote:Joe - if I'm going camping down a river I'm taking both my hammock and my small 2-man backpacking tent - with my small Z-Rest pad.
Armed with both hammock and tent, you cheat. :wink: :lol:
traveling man

Post by traveling man »

Hammock for warm weather! It's nice to wake up without stiff joints and aching muscles.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

one of the tricks of sleeping on the ground is to shape out a hollow in the dirt for your hip/butt
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

I am in the same kayak so to speak, recently I got the Hennesy, then the Army Surplus canvas bottom, and recently the M1966. I like them all. Although I am new to the hammock stuff.

I agree with what has been said., some places along the rivers there is no place to put a hammock if you limit yourself to the sand bars, I also have started carrying both a hammock and a tent.
When camping from the kayak or canoe you can stretch your carrying capacity alittle more than if you were 'Humping " your gear in or out.

If I take Tristan, I take a tent regardless.

I have gotten to where I prefer the hammock over a tent. Now if I can figer out a way to use my wood burning tent heater for a hammock set up, I would be in business.

Randy
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

Great info everyone. I am kinda leaning towards a 3 man tent from coleman. But I've just started researching and since I want be able to do anything for the next two weeks or weekends because of work I hope to have my mind made up by then. Please keep the information coming. I great to see what everyone is doing.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

CaptJack wrote:one of the tricks of sleeping on the ground is to shape out a hollow in the dirt for your hip/butt
That won't work for a "toss and turn" type like me. :( I have to have a nice thick, soft pad under my "tush" for me to sleep soundly. :wink:
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

Night Wing wrote:
CaptJack wrote:one of the tricks of sleeping on the ground is to shape out a hollow in the dirt for your hip/butt
That won't work for a "toss and turn" type like me. :( I have to have a nice thick, soft pad under my "tush" for me to sleep soundly. :wink:
I'm thinking of going to an Army Surplus to see if I can find a military cot at a good price if I go went with the 3 person tent. Should be enough room.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Randy wrote:I am in the same kayak so to speak, recently I got the Hennesy, then the Army Surplus canvas bottom, and recently the M1966. I like them all. Although I am new to the hammock stuff.

I agree with what has been said., some places along the rivers there is no place to put a hammock if you limit yourself to the sand bars, I also have started carrying both a hammock and a tent.
When camping from the kayak or canoe you can stretch your carrying capacity alittle more than if you were 'Humping " your gear in or out.

If I take Tristan, I take a tent regardless.

I have gotten to where I prefer the hammock over a tent. Now if I can figer out a way to use my wood burning tent heater for a hammock set up, I would be in business.

Randy
That is a no brainer, put in under the Hammock! :lol: :lol: :lol: