Advice on yak-packing the Guadalupe

jackh

Advice on yak-packing the Guadalupe

Post by jackh »

I would like to do a 3-4 day trip on the Guad in late May/early June. I would like to avoid crowds if possible, so I guess that means definitely south of New Braunfels. I've never kayaked or fished the Guad, any advice on a route for this length or trip? Do you guys think I can hammock camp without trespassing? Thanks.
khyber

Re: Advice on yak-packing the Guadalupe

Post by khyber »

I would look north of Canyon Lake for that trip. Put in around I10 in Comfort and you can easily spend 3-4 days without running into any big crowds. Plenty of sand/gravel bars that are considered river and not private property. Google maps is a great resource in looking at spots on the river to stop. There are a few bridges that people fish/swim in between there and Canyon Lake but no crowds and very few camp overnight. Quite a few options for takeout downriver at bridges that are public access.
jackh

Post by jackh »

khyber wrote:I would look north of Canyon Lake for that trip. Put in around I10 in Comfort and you can easily spend 3-4 days without running into any big crowds. Plenty of sand/gravel bars that are considered river and not private property. Google maps is a great resource in looking at spots on the river to stop. There are a few bridges that people fish/swim in between there and Canyon Lake but no crowds and very few camp overnight. Quite a few options for takeout downriver at bridges that are public access.
Thanks. I am looking around Sisterdale right now, looks like Bergheim camp is who I should call for a shuttle ride.
t100

Post by t100 »

Be sure to check the flow before you go. I did berghiem to Rebecca creek about 5 years ago. Had a blast! It was around 350cfs. The rapids were flowing nicely. Made it in 2 days. Way too fast to fish. Spent the night on a gravel bar just past the state park.