Trip Ideas

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Trip Ideas

Post by Aggroman »

Hey gang,
My son and I are looking into a few trip ideas for later this year, and wanted to see if I can get a little input from my fellow river runners. We are looking at a 4 day, 3 night trip. Just wondering if any of you might have some ideas. I have gone through a ton of past threads here, and some fit the bill, some didn't. So I was hoping for a little fresh perspective. We are both experienced with paddling, camping, and the outdoors as you probably know from my previous posts, but he's 14 and I think I want to keep the difficulty level below the Devils and Pecos this time around since it's just the 2 of us and not a group. My Pecos River trip last year that nearly wiped me and my 3 fellow paddlers out has kept my wife from allowing me to do this again for a while. :oops: :D .
This year will make me and my son's 3rd Annual Dude's Trip and we're hoping for another cool adventure. Last year was Guadalupe Peak and then the Sacramento Mountains in the Lincoln National Forest, and the year before was 4 days paddling up the Lower Pecos River near the confluence with the Rio Grande. We have thought about backpacking Big Bend with the first day taking a guided raft trip through Santa Elena Canyon, then doing some backpacking the last 3 days, but i'm also thinking about another multi-day river trip somewhere. Colorado? Llano? Even thought about the coastal area. The drive doesn't really matter since we're located pretty much in the middle of Texas, so nothing is real close. Anyway, I love being apart of this group and I figured, if there was anyone that knew about adventures...it would be y'all. So thanks in advance for any ideas.

Scott
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Trip Ideas

Post by texnomad »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Kid_Wilderness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now here is some real wilderness not real far from you.
Can't help on water oriented trips.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Exquisitely remote and less crowded than Bibe.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Scott, you might want to ask Dean Thomas, http://www.slowrideguide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , about coastal trips before making any plans on a coastal paddle/camping trip. Depending on when in the year, this area can be really brutal for camping/paddling. You might consider a beach camping/fishing/yakking trip to Padre Island NS as an alternative and quite different from your usual desert style fun.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks Barney!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

My son and I had some great mountain biking days in our past. Big Bend Ranch has great mountain biking also. Hill Country State Natural Area was another big mountain biking time for us in the past. Here is a nice video of the area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1mQzYs32Ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Guadalupe Mountian NP is pretty cool - you can hike up to the highest peak in Texas. If you are out near there or BBNP, you should stop at the McDonalds Observatory. Check out the San Marcos or the Colorado. Easy kayak / canoe camping for multi-day trips.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Oh, wow! If ya'll haven't done Santa Elena Canyon...it's spectacular! Altho it's been several years now, I've done probably 8-10 of the trips on rafts/canoes through there or Boquillas Canyon. Not sure what the water level is now...when it been dry the last few years they were doing the trips with canoes instead of rafts. Buffalo River & White Rivers in AR are nice.....
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Last time I was at the mouth of Santa Elena Canyon a couple of years ago the water was almost 3 inches deep. The mud was hip deep.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Did Big Ben in March water was running and did a 2 day 1 night in Santa Elena
With the water flowing did it on a raft.

Great scenery.

Z-man
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Hey Zman glad to hear that Santa Elena has water again. I did not get over there this spring.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Scott, are you looking for paddle & camping or hiking & camping? My twins and I are headed to Colorado July 18-22 or 23 to do some hiking and get on top of a 14k Mt. You and your son are welcome to join us. It is in the Lake City area (just north of) called Big Blue Creek trail and vicinity.

Also, I may have an impromptu trip to the Buffalo River leaving July 3 and paddle/camp for 2-3 nights with my wife. Again can show you the ropes on that fantastic river. I am watching the weather on that one as they may get a period of rain and cooler temps which is a real treat for July.

Let me know,

Earl
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

texnomad wrote:Hey Zman glad to hear that Santa Elena has water again. I did not get over there this spring.
Yes it was nice to see the flow and lots of bluebonnets up in dar hills! :dance:

Planning to go again in March !

Z-man
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. And thanks Earl for the invite, but the next chance for us to go anywhere will be in the fall. I'm starting to lean a little more towards Big Bend, but will still continue looking at other ideas.

Thanks again,
Scott
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I am sure you will make it exciting. I did get to see a mountain lion in Bibe a couple of years ago. November is my current target time to get back there this year.