kayaking with a tent cot?

IndyKid

kayaking with a tent cot?

Post by IndyKid »

I was curious as to whether any of you have paddled with a tent cot before. I am looking to do a 2 day trip out of port O, somewhere just south of bayucos island, looks to be just over 3 miles. Im not worried about the weight as much as I am about how awkward of a paddle it would be with that thing on my slayer, or the best way to secure it.
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: kayaking with a tent cot?

Post by on a mission »

I have taken a LOT of gear with me to an island on the lake where i live for 2-3 day solo camps, but never a tent cot. So, since your reading this and i don't know what the hell a tent cot is, i highly recommend a large amount of duct tape, bailing wire, and bungee cord to secure your load. Surely this helps. And have a great trip.
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

just for reference

http://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Tent-Or ... s=tent+cot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

says it folds down to 33"x30"x6", which is about the width of my kayak, maybe strap it over my bow? Ill have to experiment
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Very cool. May have to pick one up, Been using an MRI tunnel tent(one man mummy tent). Ground is really hard nowadays. Looks like you could strap it down to back of yak, then let it dry if swells get to it.
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

beats sleeping on the ground and takes only a couple minutes to set up. Was just curious as to whether anyone paddles any distance with one on their kayak
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

IndyKid wrote:I was curious as to whether any of you have paddled with a tent cot before. I am looking to do a 2 day trip out of port O, somewhere just south of bayucos island, looks to be just over 3 miles. Im not worried about the weight as much as I am about how awkward of a paddle it would be with that thing on my slayer, or the best way to secure it.
IF that is all you will take with you it might not be to bad, but how much other stuff will you have to take on the trip? I think you will end up with water inside the bag while paddling and double the weight of the load before you get 100 yards off from the launch... No wind then maybe no waves and it will be better a trip.

PS.. you might want to get a large plastic bag to place the tent cot into to reduce the water content of the tent when you get to the 3 mile area.

Good luck...
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

appreciate it. Itd only be for a one nighter maybe 2 so not much gear. Was thinking about the wrapping it in a plastic bag idea as well..appreciate it
BOPGUNNER

Post by BOPGUNNER »

I have a full size cot from amazon. Less then $70 ( BIG BEAR)Thats is like 34x78 and 6" tall . It comes completely apart goes in a bag just a little bit big then the chair bags. In goes in the front hatch of my 135 ride no problem. Also have a Coleman hooligan 3 that I set my cot up in. Been on to many over nighter waking up on the ground because of a small leak. I have over 15 to 20 night on this cot no problem.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Much as I love my tent cot for car-camping, I just can't picture myself trying to balance that on top of my kayak going down the Brazos -- maybe float it on top of an inner tube towed behind me? :) :mrgreen:

Now I've seen Ron bring a cot that he places *in* his tent, but that is one of those cots that folds/rolls up smaller, easier to fit in the kayak.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

I'd team up with someone that has a small boat, haul camp out with it and kayak from there
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

We've done it but we used a spare kayak as a mule to carry it
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I have a Cabelas Tent cot and it's great but way too big for taking out on a kayak. I recommend a Grand Trunk Mosquito hammock and a fly. Bring a mattress pad to keep the Mosquitos from biting in the backside.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

I usually bring a twin air mattress and a small battery pump and just put them in a 2 man tent. As light or lighter than a tent cot and packs a whole lot smaller. I've done several 1-3 night trips with this as well as two trips down the Devils river. Works great. I'd also look into the hammock tents if there are trees to use. A couple of the guys that went with us on the last devils trip had them and they worked awesome and packed down about the size of a softball!