Advice Wanted on South Llano River

jackh

Advice Wanted on South Llano River

Post by jackh »

I am planning a 1 night two day trip on the South Llano next week. Any recommendations or advice? We are experienced yakpackers and have done the lower colorado many times and the Devils once.

I spoke to Rhonda Thomas on the phone, she told me there is very limited camping on the river, and basically no camping spots beyond their place (1 mile upriver from the state park). She said our best bet was to launch at Telegraph and take out at their property the next day, totaling roughly 14 miles. If we found a cool spot or good fishing hole and wanted to extend our trip to 2 nights on the water there would be no extra charge. Thanks for the help.

jackh

Re: Advice Wanted on South Llano River

Post by jackh »

bump for advice
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

I was out there last month, the fishing was pretty slow, water still off color from heavy rains. Should be better now. I usually flyfish the South Llano, and catch lots of perch, guadalupe and largemouth bass, and the occasional catfish and rio grande cichlid on wooly buggers and poppers. Heads and tails of pools often fish the best, and don't overlook the swifter water, that is often where you'll find the most fish. Long tree-lined pools will often hold nice fish, especially cats. Really, it's hard to go wrong on the South Llano. Rhonda is right, there aren't just a ton of islands on this stretch of river, but you'll find something. There is a pretty good-sized island right below where Bailey Creek comes into the river above CR 150, I've never camped there, but it might have some decent spots. You can easily paddle from Telegraph to the state park in a day, but you'll want to take your time fishing and swimming, this is just a beautiful stretch of water. Two days ought to be just right. Have fun, and post up a report!
jackh

Post by jackh »

fisher of people wrote:I was out there last month, the fishing was pretty slow, water still off color from heavy rains. Should be better now. I usually flyfish the South Llano, and catch lots of perch, guadalupe and largemouth bass, and the occasional catfish and rio grande cichlid on wooly buggers and poppers. Heads and tails of pools often fish the best, and don't overlook the swifter water, that is often where you'll find the most fish. Long tree-lined pools will often hold nice fish, especially cats. Really, it's hard to go wrong on the South Llano. Rhonda is right, there aren't just a ton of islands on this stretch of river, but you'll find something. There is a pretty good-sized island right below where Bailey Creek comes into the river above CR 150, I've never camped there, but it might have some decent spots. You can easily paddle from Telegraph to the state park in a day, but you'll want to take your time fishing and swimming, this is just a beautiful stretch of water. Two days ought to be just right. Have fun, and post up a report!
Thank you for the update. I was thinking I'd bring my 5wt and assorted panfish and small bass flies, possibly my 8 wt just to throw huge bass flies, and my pitching rod with lots of soft plastics and hollow bodied frogs. Does this sound like appropriate tackle? If I had a lighter fly rod I'd bring that instead of the 5. I would just bring the 5, but hate to get out there and wish I could cast my bigger bass flies. Thanks.

I was also thinking about paddling from Telegraph1 mile upstream to the waterfall when we launched. This would add 2 miles to our trip overall and maybe the waterfall is cool. Anybody done this before?
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

jackh wrote:
fisher of people wrote:I was out there last month, the fishing was pretty slow, water still off color from heavy rains. Should be better now. I usually flyfish the South Llano, and catch lots of perch, guadalupe and largemouth bass, and the occasional catfish and rio grande cichlid on wooly buggers and poppers. Heads and tails of pools often fish the best, and don't overlook the swifter water, that is often where you'll find the most fish. Long tree-lined pools will often hold nice fish, especially cats. Really, it's hard to go wrong on the South Llano. Rhonda is right, there aren't just a ton of islands on this stretch of river, but you'll find something. There is a pretty good-sized island right below where Bailey Creek comes into the river above CR 150, I've never camped there, but it might have some decent spots. You can easily paddle from Telegraph to the state park in a day, but you'll want to take your time fishing and swimming, this is just a beautiful stretch of water. Two days ought to be just right. Have fun, and post up a report!
Thank you for the update. I was thinking I'd bring my 5wt and assorted panfish and small bass flies, possibly my 8 wt just to throw huge bass flies, and my pitching rod with lots of soft plastics and hollow bodied frogs. Does this sound like appropriate tackle? If I had a lighter fly rod I'd bring that instead of the 5. I would just bring the 5, but hate to get out there and wish I could cast my bigger bass flies. Thanks.

I was also thinking about paddling from Telegraph1 mile upstream to the waterfall when we launched. This would add 2 miles to our trip overall and maybe the waterfall is cool. Anybody done this before?
Sounds about right to me. Personally I don't think I'd mess with the 8wt, but it won't hurt to have it along. I have never yet made it up to the waterfall, I really need to do that some day.