Camping Checklist

Neumie
Site Admin

Camping Checklist

Post by Neumie »

I've got a trip coming up in about a month on the Brazos River (Rochelles to Hwy 180) and started to put together a checklist and thought I would share it. Anything I'm missing? Oh, I prefer to cook real meals while camping and not dehydrated meals, thus the rather lengthy cooking items section. Only thing not included is what ever meals I have planned for breakfast and dinner. Snacks and beer are always a given.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Camping Checklist

Post by Earl »

I am with you on real meals for short trips. Are you taking a canoe or kayak? If canoe a bailer for paddle drip/rain. If kayak a pump or sponge although there is no whitewater on that stretch of river you never know when you might develop a leak and need to pump out. For me I always have a throw rope on deck, just one of those safety items like a knife on my PFD it is part of the standard gear. Other than that looks good. Have a good trip and report on it when you are done. The Brazos on that stretch is pretty clear water so you filter will do fine. However, on muddy rivers like lower Brazos I take a collapsible bucket to let my water settle before I put in my filter.
SYOTW,
Earl
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Small bottle of hand sanitizer comes in handy - for cuts, scrapes, etc - but also good after bio break.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Earl wrote:I am with you on real meals for short trips. Are you taking a canoe or kayak? If canoe a bailer for paddle drip/rain. If kayak a pump or sponge although there is no whitewater on that stretch of river you never know when you might develop a leak and need to pump out. For me I always have a throw rope on deck, just one of those safety items like a knife on my PFD it is part of the standard gear. Other than that looks good. Have a good trip and report on it when you are done. The Brazos on that stretch is pretty clear water so you filter will do fine. However, on muddy rivers like lower Brazos I take a collapsible bucket to let my water settle before I put in my filter.
SYOTW,
Earl
I'm in a kayak (Ride 135). In my repair/safety kit is rope, paracord, duct tape, sponge, flares, extra whistle, signalling mirror, diagonal cutting pliers (hook removal), and heavy fishing line (hook removal).

My friend and I have done PK to Rochelles, S. Llano, a stretch of the Llano, and Lower Colorado. Not experts at this by any means, but I have been tweaking what I carry with each trip.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I might have missed it but, small garbage bags. Not just for packing out garbage but if you need to weatherproof something.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

JW FunGuy wrote:I might have missed it but, small garbage bags. Not just for packing out garbage but if you need to weatherproof something.
Yup, missed bringing a garbage bag of some sort.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Here's an old thread from 9 years ago that may help.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=146182

and from 10 years ago.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hilit=list
lhargraves43

Post by lhargraves43 »

Great list! Ill save this for future reference but I actually prefer a flashlight compared to a lantern. I always have my GearLight TAC LED Tactical Flashlight with every time I have an outdoor activity. If youre looking to get a flashlight, you should read this review.
Last edited by lhargraves43 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Josh: I didn't see Alcohol Swabs on your list. My wife and I use vodka and rum to combat Covid-19. However, we did that WAY before we ever heard of the new virus! ...TexasJim...