Upper Brazos

beekeeper

Upper Brazos

Post by beekeeper »

My son and I are putting in at hwy 16 on the Brazos Fri at noon. That is, if they close the flood gates at PK Lake. I spoke to Rochelle's today and they expect it to be closed tomorrow. As of now, the discharge is over 8000 cf/s.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Upper Brazos

Post by Hirsch »

Hope you had a great trip!!! Let us know.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Upper Brazos

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Hirsch wrote:Hope you had a great trip!!! Let us know.
I too am very curious how this trip went or if you went at all. I saw the discharge was still around 1700 cfs as of Friday. I'm wondering if that's an enjoyable paddle or to much current. I've only been on it at a max of 470 cfs and that was nice. Not sure how much more demanding it is at 1700.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

We put in about noon Friday. The river was high and quick. They told us it was to be about 1500 cf/s over the weekend. We had a fine time. Our three day trip turned into a two day trip. The speed of the river put us on a fast clock and it was difficult to find decent get out spots. I have done quite a few trips on this stretch the last few years, but everything was different due to the higher water level. We never had to drag our boats, not once. What few reliable camp sites were above water were taken. Our first night camp site was a 1/2 mile below the scout ranch. It is interesting how the water velocity and level changes your perspective, but it was enjoyable. Paul, it was nice to hear from you. I would like to hook up with you on another trip. Gary has a group trip planned for May 17 weekend on the same stretch.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Thanks for the report beekeeper. Glad you had a good time. Did you do any fishing or at that rate of current, is fishing even worthwhile? Also, is it possible to paddle against the current to do a day trip say down to Garland bend and paddle back up river to hwy 16. I've done that at 470 cfs and it was a pretty easy paddle, but I can't imagine it would be easy at over 1500.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

we did fish with no catches. There were quite a few fishermen on the river and I only know of one fish being caught. It was a young teenager and you could hear "I caught one!" for a long ways.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Lol, that's great. At least the 1 fish caught was probably caught by the 1 fisherman it meant the most to!
Thanks for the reply

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
beekeeper

mor

Post by beekeeper »

I didn't answer your question about paddling upstream against 1700 cf/s. It would be very difficult. In fact, I don't think you could paddle up the rapid under the bridge. Maybe you could drag on the sides, but to go more than a mile would be too difficult. There was a 30 yr old man w/his young son that had a spill and lost his paddle in a narrow, fast stretch. We could see the paddle but none of us could get to it. Other trips, we could wade through some of the shallow rapids, but not this time.
And Paul, I would take 470 cf/s anytime over 1500 cf/s.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Rochelle's will also shuttle your vehicle downstream and let you paddle down do it for a single day trip. It is not in the canyons but should be fun.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

The first time I ran that 20 miles the water was up and I flipped in rapids when my rod caught in a tree. :D I suspect about 1,000 cfs would be ideal. Glad you made it back.

I have done the day trip down from Rochelle's and the scenery is not nearly as dramatic.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Thanks for the report. A friend and I are doing the Rochelle's to Hwy 180 stretch in a month.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: mor

beekeeper wrote:I didn't answer your question about paddling upstream against 1700 cf/s. It would be very difficult. In fact, I don't think you could paddle up the rapid under the bridge. Maybe you could drag on the sides, but to go more than a mile would be too difficult. There was a 30 yr old man w/his young son that had a spill and lost his paddle in a narrow, fast stretch. We could see the paddle but none of us could get to it. Other trips, we could wade through some of the shallow rapids, but not this time.
And Paul, I would take 470 cf/s anytime over 1500 cf/s.
Thanks Bee, this is good to know. I wouldn't want to put in for a day trip/paddle back to put in and end up being committed to a paddle all the way to Rochelle's and an overnight stay and be unprepared for it. I've wondered before what would happen if I put in on a low current day and planned to paddle back to to the put in by days end only to have them open the gates once your on the river and can't get back to your vehicle. Does anyone know if there is there a way to get info for the scheduled release info rather than just the current release info?
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Rochelle's seems to be in the know well enough to not put kayakers in dangerous positions.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Thanks for the report. High water is good for getting on downriver but makes fishing and camping more of a chore. Either way beats being at home. Glad you guys made lemonade and a good time.
Earl
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Earl, what have you planned for your next adventure? You seem to do more cool trips than any of us.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I just got back from 3 rivers. I paddled & camped the Eleven Point river for a few days over Easter weekend. Then I came home for a few days then did 4 days of day paddling the Mulberry River with my club and yesterday with a few expert canoe and kayakers went and paddle the lower Saline in Arkansas. The only firm plan I have for this summer is the Rio Chama in New Mexico for a few days then some backcountry hiking in Colorado. I need to get myself retired.
Earl