Colorado at Weberville

beekeeper

Colorado at Weberville

Post by beekeeper »

A few of us are considering doing a trip on the Colorado next Friday, putting in at Weberville, and taking out hwy 969 bridge. The river at Bastrop, is showing 1860 cf/s. Help! Give us a little coaching, please. How is that volume of flow to navigate, how are the camping sites, and is 2 nights on the river in that stretch a good fit.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Colorado at Weberville

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

That flow rate is a function of the rain we just had. Unless it rains a lot more, it will probably drop to a few hundred cubes by next week. That would make for a leisurely trip. The camp sites I have seen were nice. The guys at Cooks Canoes in Webberville used to do a little work on some of the islands that people frequently camp. Not sure if they still do.

These pages may be useful.

https://www.lcra.org/parks/Documents/20 ... -Guide.pdf

http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/colorado4.html
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Thanks, Cook's is the one we are using.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Cooks are good people and thats a good paddle. 969 to Bastrop is a really nice section as well. So is the run from Bastrop to The refuge... They are all pretty nice.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

At current river level you should be good for camping on the large island just near the Hyatt with sand for tents and maybe one spot to hang a hammock. There is usually plenty of wood for a fire too.

I am assuming the recent gage spike at the Austin gage was rain and not a release. In any case tie off your kayak/canoe to your tent or big toe just in case.

Have fun
Earl
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

OP I know from crossing the river in Austin every day it's pretty low and like the data shows it's not moving very fast. There will be lots of areas you'll have to drag your kayaks across a river rock bar or sand bar. Sounds like fun tho!

Weather guessers are saying next front (after Wednesday strong front) is next Tuesdayish (Nov 5th).
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

The current flow is 335 cf/s. There are 3 of us putting in about noon tomorrow at Webberville, if anyone is interested,...
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Had a great trip. We were the only yakkers on the stretch from Webberville, to hwy 969 bridge. There was plenty of flow and we made very few short drags.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

excellent

I saw the river company putting in lots of boats here in Bastrop Saturday morning. Chilly, but beautiful weather for a paddle.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Our highlight of the trip was seeing a bald eagle. I had never seen one before in the wild. We saw plenty of duck and deer, and we were serenaded by owls and a few coyotes.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

You’ll catch any fish? Catfish , crappie ?