Hill Country Paddlin

TexasDaddy

Hill Country Paddlin

Post by TexasDaddy »

Being the "wonderful" husband that I am, I tried to plan a yak trip this Valentines day for the Wife and I to the Guadalupe. Did not do enough research. I thought about getting out on Canyon Lake but it just didn't seem very scenic and looks way down as well. I've heard that the Frio stays full year round. The wife is not into fishing at all but wants to give it a shot and I don't want it to be a horrible experience her first time out. I'm open to any and all suggestions, including guided trips.

Thanks in advance,

TD
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Hill Country Paddlin

Post by mwrose777 »

TexasDaddy wrote:Being the "wonderful" husband that I am, I tried to plan a yak trip this Valentines day for the Wife and I to the Guadalupe. Did not do enough research. I thought about getting out on Canyon Lake but it just didn't seem very scenic and looks way down as well. I've heard that the Frio stays full year round. The wife is not into fishing at all but wants to give it a shot and I don't want it to be a horrible experience her first time out. I'm open to any and all suggestions, including guided trips.

Thanks in advance,

TD
Lake Raven at Huntsville State Park in the spring/summer with UL rods for bream. The sunfish-ing there is second to none, it's safe from boats because it's idle speed only. Lake is small enough to cover yet big enough to get some privacy, lots of wild life (birds, hogs, gators, etc). The park has full facilities (bathrooms and showers). For a first timer it's an easy but fun trip to get them into the sport.

Granted it's not the hill country, but it's close to Spring!
TexasDaddy

Post by TexasDaddy »

We do like Lake Raven and the whole park around it
Fishinintx

Post by Fishinintx »

I went to college at Sam and practically lived in the park. Some very large lmb as well as tons of crappie. Met a few gators wading the banks. They scared me as much as I scared them lol. The left pier has always done well on crappie at night. I stopped there a few weeks ago and caught 10 in an hour on jigs. Has to be my all time favorite small lake.