Fishing the "Other" Lake in the Woodlands.

JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Fishing the "Other" Lake in the Woodlands.

Post by JimD »

Have you all tried the old lake the other side of Kukendal? I see on map that the road has finally gone thru.

Used to have to drive the back roads to the school to get to the lake launch. When access opened back in 99/2000 you had to go to the school with the skateboard park and cart your kayak the couple of hundred yards back to the overlook and launch to the right. I had to take a yoyo (weed cutter) back in there and clean a path to launch to the right of the deck back then.

If it is still open it is a great little lake. It is built just like a miniature deep east Texas lake. You can wade the shallow end and it used to be full of bass.

I did a depth reading and the thing was 11-12 feet deep at the time in the main part of the lake. Dug with varying depths from 7 to 12 feet and all the assorted different types of areas to fish that you would want.

The side stream on the same side as the launch was full of bass when there a little water flow and fairly shallow with the orig stream ~3 ft.

Middle of the lake had everything. Lots of big white perch, bass, best cat fish I ever caught on a rod and reel, and some fair long nose gar. First time I ever had a big gar jump over my knees right in front of my face with a top water hanging out of it's mouth. Little spooky.

Hope you try it and like it like I did. I learned to kayak between the two lakes in the woodlands.

I fished Lake Woodlands but with it set dept, lack of structure, good cat fishing. and too many people visible; this little lake was a jewel with just a few golfers playing down the side.

I have not been back in 10+ years but I see it is still on the map. See the school on google and take the walking path in the back to find the overlook and launch points. Hope it is still the same wonderful place.

JimD
Eastwood

Re: Fishing the "Other" Lake in the Woodlands.

Post by Eastwood »

Which lake is this? Kuykendahl and what cross street?
tbeak

Post by tbeak »

its still there, its called Bear Branch Reservoir, I think it may have gone down hill a little in the 10+ years since you've been there. That being said, I have been there once. it looked dead to be honest and smelled like dead veg. the launch is really nice though. I haven't been back from that 1 trip. partly because I don't like packing my stuff 300 yards, haha. I know a cart would be fine but it wasn't worth the trouble for me.
WesC

Post by WesC »

I went there a few months ago. there is a lot of Algea on the water. its supposed to be better in the fall and winter. Also check out Little Lake Paloma in Creek Side. no giant bass but a lot of fun for bass under 4 lbs. that is the largest i have heard pulled out of that one