central Tx yakers?

03svtsnakevert

Re: central Tx yakers?

Post by 03svtsnakevert »

I'm in copperas cove and down to meet up and fish
illest23

Post by illest23 »

Once the whites start running i'll be hitting up gravel crossing. I'll post in here when they do.
03svtsnakevert

Post by 03svtsnakevert »

illest23 wrote:Once the whites start running i'll be hitting up gravel crossing. I'll post in here when they do.
Where is that?
illest23

Post by illest23 »

03svtsnakevert wrote:
illest23 wrote:Once the whites start running i'll be hitting up gravel crossing. I'll post in here when they do.
Where is that?
It's on FM 2484. If your heading south on 195 from killeen you make a left on 2484. Gravel crossing will be on your left side after about 10 miles. You have to pay attention or you'll miss it because it's right after a curve. You should be able look up gravel crossing road on google maps. Parking is limited so on the days where everyone and their mom is out there fishing you can also paddle down from StillHouse at Cedar Gap park into the river.
03svtsnakevert

Post by 03svtsnakevert »

illest23 wrote:
03svtsnakevert wrote:
Where is that?
It's on FM 2484. If your heading south on 195 from killeen you make a left on 2484. Gravel crossing will be on your left side after about 10 miles. You have to pay attention or you'll miss it because it's right after a curve. You should be able look up gravel crossing road on google maps. Parking is limited so on the days where everyone and their mom is out there fishing you can also paddle down from StillHouse at Cedar Gap park into the river.
When is a good time to go there?
illest23

Post by illest23 »

[/quote]

When is a good time to go there?[/quote]

They should start running late January/early February. Just go early morning and head towards the main lake slow trolling a white "Roadrunner" Curly tail or small paddle tail swimbaits. Try different depths until you find them. Usually end up catching a ton of whites and crappie which are fun on light spinning gear.
plentl65

Post by plentl65 »

I'm ready! Got my Kayak towards the end of the summer and hadn't had a chance to get on the whites really good yet! Lord willing I'll be starting to fish the end of this month at Waco and Granger.
noethss

Post by noethss »

They weren't in there this morning. Water is about a foot below the bridge.
illest23

Post by illest23 »

noethss wrote:They weren't in there this morning. Water is about a foot below the bridge.
Thanks for the heads up. I think its still too early for them to be all the way at gravel crossing. I might try launching from cedar park on Monday and heading into the river to see if they are there.
noethss

Post by noethss »

Low
Attachments
image.jpg
illest23

Post by illest23 »

Wow. Thats pretty low. I wonder what the rest of the river looks like.
03svtsnakevert

Post by 03svtsnakevert »

noethss wrote:Low
Where was this taken? how far from gravel road crossing
illest23

Post by illest23 »

03svtsnakevert wrote:
That is the end of gravel crossing road. Launch to the right and head towards the lake.
03svtsnakevert

Post by 03svtsnakevert »

illest23 wrote:
03svtsnakevert wrote:
That is the end of gravel crossing road. Launch to the right and head towards the lake.
Should be good now?
noethss

Post by noethss »

This picture was taken at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon.
And to get there is easy go north on 35 until you get to.............oh darn I forgot how to get there. :roll: :dance:
noethss

Post by noethss »

if Cedar park is under the bridge close to gravel crossing then you won't have to head up to the river because under the bridge is a river.
plentl65

Post by plentl65 »

Anyone had a chance to hit the Bosque or San Gabriel? This warm spell really has me wanting to go fishing.
illest23

Post by illest23 »

Launched from Cedar Gap park and headed towards the river. About half a mile into my paddle I catch my first white. I get into 2-3 ft of water and notice lots of bait fish getting hammered by whites. So I keep trolling and and catch 5 more. They were concentrated in the shallow area. After I left that area I caught nothing. I paddled all the way to where the power lines run over head. Turned around and headed back to the same area I caught the 5 but only caught 2 more and caught one in 10 FOW heading back to the bridge. Ended the day with 9 total and all fish released.
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

I launched at Gravel road crossing on the 17th. The water was low in a few spots. I took my PA14 out and had to drag it through a couple of spots (red arrows on map). Went 4 miles towards the lake and 4 miles back and only had 1 small white bass to show for it.
lowriver.png
illest23

Post by illest23 »

Thanks for the report. Did you paddle or peddle? I think trolling really slow is the key unless you see they are actively busting bait fish. I use two rods for trolling both at different depths.

I plan on going this weekend (weather permitting) for those of you who want to meet up. Not sure which day yet. Most likely Saturday. But looking at launching from Cedar Gap Park around 0730.
mlmtx01

Post by mlmtx01 »

ya'll will see me there here in a few weeks pretty often. I'm an ag teacher so I can't fish until after the bell county show. After some of my responsibilities slow down, I'll be there in my Cuda or my G3. Say hello.
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

I peddled most of the way. Some areas I had to pull my drive and paddle. I was trolling a small crank bait and casting small plastic jig. I would recommend launching at Cedar Park rather than Gravel Road Crossing. I went out yesterday in a boat and went all the way to Gars Cut. We passed several boaters. One guy claimed to have caught 50+ crappie but only 2 were keepers. We saw some white bass hitting the water just south of the Hwy 3481 bridge. We trolled the area but no had no bites. Hopefully the warmer weather this week will draw the white bass into the river. PM if anyone wants a fishing buddy.
illest23

Post by illest23 »

I fished Saturday morning and only managed one white working the banks with a small white spinner bait. I trolled from cedar gap all the way till the river ends due to the low water conditions. Looks like there won' t be any whites running to gravel crossing this year. I did good last week but this past week sucked. I'll blame the muddy water after the rains we had for that. Will be out again this saturday.
reeves.kyle

Post by reeves.kyle »

Where are you headed Saturday illest23? I may tag along if thats alright.
illest23

Post by illest23 »

reeves.kyle wrote:Where are you headed Saturday illest23? I may tag along if thats alright.
Planning for Saturday morning from Cedar Gap Park if the weather permits. Time TBD. Will let you know. Your more than welcome to tag along.