Ft. Worth Troubles

djm87us

Ft. Worth Troubles

Post by djm87us »

Located in Ft. Worth. Can't seem to find any luck in the surrounding lakes. I've been to Grapevine, Eagle Mountain, and Lake Worth. Any suggestions on those locations would be much appreciated. Maybe I'm just not using the right lures or maybe I should buck up and buy a fish finder. Thoughts?
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Ft. Worth Troubles

Post by on a mission »

djm87us wrote:Located in Ft. Worth. Can't seem to find any luck in the surrounding lakes. I've been to Grapevine, Eagle Mountain, and Lake Worth. Any suggestions on those locations would be much appreciated. Maybe I'm just not using the right lures or maybe I should buck up and buy a fish finder. Thoughts?
Get a f-finder. Find structure, and find fish. Check out Squaw creek when it cools a bit.
MVRider

Post by MVRider »

I've been hitting the same lakes and I'm starting to get it right finally. I have a fish finder and that's great but lures are key as well. I've been mixing it up with spinners, mid/shallow running shads, rubbers and popers on fly rod. Not doing too bad lately.
Wadefishing

Post by Wadefishing »

I've had more success with plastic worms and Zoom baby brush hogs (watermelon red) than any thing else at Lake Worth, you might give those a try. Also, if you can get into the river above Lake Worth that's a good place. You might have to launch at the Fort Worth Nature Center off of 199.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

In all honesty, a fish finder is not going to make the fish attack your lure, you have to learn what lure to fish and how to fish..
hardygr

Post by hardygr »

I lived on Lake Worth for about 5 years not too long ago. My favorite lure on that lake was an 1/8th ounce chatreuse Road Runner with a spinner. I was never a huge fan of fishing for large mouth, but as the water warms up a little, the Sandies should start heating up. More than anything, I like fishing at night, and working the edges of peoples dock lights. Make sure you have plenty of light on your kayak, and carry a brighter light that you can turn on if a powerboat is headed at you, but during the week, you usually won't see another boat on the water after sunset. Most of the usual dock lights between 820 and 199 will produce tons of sandies all spring and into the summer. Just don't touch anyone's docks or boats, I wouldn't get within about 15 feet of someone's private property. Home owners do get paranoid about the amount of stuff that gets stolen, on that lake, once the weather warms up. Good luck, I hope that helps.
Moondog94

Post by Moondog94 »

A fish finder is a very helpful tool in locating structure which is key to finding fish on open water. I am located in Fort Worth as well and we go to benbrook lake which has a good amount of timber with some good bottom structure. As far as baits go, we all know that lures catch more fish than fisherman, but there are some great lures out on the market today. I usually have a rod rigged with a texas rigged craw (missile d bomb or havoc pit boss) and another rod rigged with a crank bait depending on the depth if it is a square bill or a medium diving bait.

My best advice is to drive up to Angler Pro Tackle in North Richland Hills, the people there will be your best resource for places to fish and what baits to use. It is hands down the best tackle shop in the DFW area.

Hope this helps
-Moondog