Need Advice on Fishing Location

Drew538

Need Advice on Fishing Location

Post by Drew538 »

Fairly new to yak fishing and have been looking for some good spots to hit with my buddies.
We hit luces bayou on Lake Houston with little to no luck fishing for bass.
This past weekend we hit Lake Conroe dropping in just north of 1097, also with no luck.
We are located in Katy and are looking to keep the drive about an hour to an hour and a half.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Drew538 on Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cityfisher

Re: Advice on Fishing Location

Post by Cityfisher »

Don't give up on Conroe, there are some good bass there. You just have to figure them out on that particular day. Lake Raven in Huntsville State Park is excellent. There are some big gators you will see but they mind their own business. Sheldon reservoir also. (Same about the gators) I've read some decent reports about Lake Woodlands also. A little farther might be Lake Livingston (Kickapoo Creek area), Lake Sommerville or Fayette County Lake.
Coastalonya.

Re: Need Advice on Fishing Location

Post by Coastalonya. »

Just did a quick run to Lake Woodlands to test drive a yak. Put in at North Shore park. Real easy and safe. Paddled NE, under Lake Woodlands Dr. Bridge. Cast into new dock at Hughes Landing (Del Frisco's). 3lbs and 4lbs within 10 minutes! Left them there for you. Aggressive strike on Tex rig pumpkinseed power worm. Another easy trip, Cagle National Park, off of 1375 ((New Waverly) Lake Conroe. Easy access. Safe. Bite is best early or late due to heat and traffic. Same fishing rig plus 6" watermelon super lizard free weight. Cast into the heavy stuff.
bcfreak

Post by bcfreak »

I posted this elsewhere on the site but the bass are active on Luce in Lake Houston lately. Hitting top water using frogs pretty good. I was also working smaller jigs on the west fork and had success but usually 3lbers (bait size = fish size).

Going to hit Woodlands next week and Raven the week after. Been holding off on Sheldon until someone wants to partner up. Prob will go spinner for woodlands instead of frog.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Fayette County is my favorite....worth the extra trip.
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

Post up when your looking to go again. There are a couple of us that get together and bass fish around Houston area. We also head up to Naconiche at least once a month.
arrowsmack324

Post by arrowsmack324 »

Hey BC I'd be game for a Sheldon trip. Last time I was out there I cut my trip a little short after having a big bull gator eyeballing my camo pescador with love in his eyes. Safety in numbers.
pat 87

Post by pat 87 »

i have been having most of my luck with conroe bass at 10+ feet here recently. anything that i catch in the shallower water are small 1-2 pounders.
kayakbassTX
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by kayakbassTX »

arrowsmack324 wrote:Hey BC I'd be game for a Sheldon trip. Last time I was out there I cut my trip a little short after having a big bull gator eyeballing my camo pescador with love in his eyes. Safety in numbers.
Haven't fished Sheldon before because of people breaking into vehicles. Maybe it's changed. I would be up for a trip sometime.
arrowsmack324

Post by arrowsmack324 »

kayakbassTX wrote:
arrowsmack324 wrote:Hey BC I'd be game for a Sheldon trip. Last time I was out there I cut my trip a little short after having a big bull gator eyeballing my camo pescador with love in his eyes. Safety in numbers.
Haven't fished Sheldon before because of people breaking into vehicles. Maybe it's changed. I would be up for a trip sometime.
I've heard about that but have never had a problem with it. I just leave my truck unlocked and make sure not to leave anything of value or ID sensitive in there. If nothing else keeps from getting a window broken. In my younger days the gators never gave me the "willies" but that has changed since I became a father. What days are good for you?
arrowsmack324

Post by arrowsmack324 »

Naconiche in January, anybody want to go?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Both sides of the dam at Lake Somerville used to yield me lots of fish.
Riptide369

Post by Riptide369 »

Might go make a yak trip on Conroe or Gibbons Creek this weekend if anyone wants to tag along...
C130

Post by C130 »

Riptide369 wrote:Might go make a yak trip on Conroe or Gibbons Creek this weekend if anyone wants to tag along...
We are going to be fishing up at Cagle on Lake Conroe. Arriving Saturday and camping through Wednesday. It'll be me and my son fishing, both of us have Jackson kayaks if you're in the area. I have a large 5th wheel toy hauler on the loop by the make.