Outriggers?

eyedoc

Outriggers?

Post by eyedoc »

Ok, so I’ve dumped a lot of time and money into my Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL from anchor trolley to elevated seat to rudder to deck mats, etc...but at the end of the day, I’d like to be able to stand up and fish behind me or be able to flip into some bushes from time to time.

Do I just scrap it and get a “stand on” kayak or just spend a couple of hundred on yak attack outriggers? I’d imagine they’d make it hella standable.

Pretty torn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Re: Outriggers?

Post by TexasJim »

You can build outriggers using four 7" pointed trap floats, PVC pipe, two adjustable aluminum flagpole holders, for cheap. They need to be able to lift above the water when you don't need them, so as to not slow you down, AND, they need to be far enough back, so you don't hit them during your paddle strokes. Lots of DIY Youtube videos showing construction methods. Good luck. I'd rather have a good-paddling kayak that I could stabilize for standing, than a wide, flat-bottomed barge that is always slow. ...TexasJim...
impulse

Post by impulse »

I've posted this photo several times as food for thought, because the flat surfaces of these boogie boards worked so much better for me than the round pontoons I tried later (and went back to boogie boards).

It's like the kids who throw out a round piece of plywood on the beach and surf the extreme shallow water. They could never do that with a torpedo shaped pontoon... Even at a low speed, that flat surface becomes a planing body, as opposed to a displacement hull. These boogie boards worked the same for my kayak- skimming the surface even at a very slow speed.

Cheap, easy and effective... My next step was going to be doubling up on the boogie boards to reduce the tilting angle even more, but I left Thailand before I got that far along.
Attachments
Stand Up Kayak.jpg
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

eyedoc wrote:Ok, so I’ve dumped a lot of time and money into my Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL from anchor trolley to elevated seat to rudder to deck mats, etc...but at the end of the day, I’d like to be able to stand up and fish behind me or be able to flip into some bushes from time to time.

Do I just scrap it and get a “stand on” kayak or just spend a couple of hundred on yak attack outriggers? I’d imagine they’d make it hella standable.

Pretty torn...

I guess it comes down to how bad you want the stability and how productive you’re fishing is from the current yak. I owned 2 cheap paddle yaks for 6 years and probably took them out 10-15 times.... i hated them, they were faster, but also wet, unstable, and uncomfortable. It was nearly impossible for me to fish out of. Fast forward to this summer... I got my first peddle yak that is wide. The OldTownSportsman120PDL in July. Since then I have probably taken them out 20-30 times. These kayak completely altered my view on fishing from a kayak and the sport in general. In my opinion if you have the funds the. It’s a no brainer. Hope this helps