Leave the tackle box at home.

wardtodd2

Leave the tackle box at home.

Post by wardtodd2 »

I went out on Lake Lavon today with nothing but a bag of plastic worms. I gotta say it was really nice because I wasn't tempted to change lures all the time. I could just relax and fish. I'm taking some advice from the pros and just focusing on one lure at a time for a while to get better. Many suggest to start this approach with a bottom dragging lure like a texas rigged worm or jig.

So I'm just going to hone my worm skills for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Leave the tackle box at home.

Post by texnomad »

That is very smart move. I carry two each of five lures now days. That quantity is dictated by the size of the plano box that fits my shirt pocket. Started that last year and still eat fish as often as I have the desire.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep, definitely the way to fish!
Then there is me. Bring 6 rods each with a different lure and carry a big ass tackle bag with even MORE lures and never touch them on a trip out! I get so anal at times about having to have other lures on the boat.
Gonna do your trip when I know I may turtle or need the light weight to go a long distance.
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

Minimalist kayak fishing! I found myself carrying 3 rods out and I am still okay with that number as most of us have room for these without space issues. But, a big tackle box? No way unless someone is just in favor of it. I have much more fun either knowing the lake or finding out as much about it ahead of time as possible, then looking at what the weather is supposed to be, and more research. The research will help you leave 90% of your tackle at home.

Like most kayak anglers, I lean heavily toward finesse techniques, so I would normally have a drop shot, maybe a wacky rigged senko, and maybe a topwater if that might come into play.

I don't mind taking a moment and changing up, so the senko set-up could be quickly re-worked into a T-Rig or a weightless worm or a split shot. The topwater could quickly be reoriented to shad-like swimbait.

A handful of plastics, some replacement hooks, etc., a few lures. Off you go.

Brad
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Makes it more enjoyable sometimes.
To me its like getting back to the way we all started before kayaking turned into a competition of who spent more money.
Poboy K

Post by Poboy K »

While I get the idea of minimalistic to FORCE you to master certain lures, actually, I think it is TOTALLY the wrong way to go!

Success in fishing is MORE OFTEN THAN NOT: CONFIDENCE!

REALLY GUYS, the most important part is finding FEEDING FISH! Soooo...fishing the bejjebers out of a NEW lure in waters DEVOID of catchable fish....is gonna do what?