1/2 + 1/2 = Two Halves

habanerojooz

1/2 + 1/2 = Two Halves

Post by habanerojooz »

Took a trip to Texas City with MyFishingBuddy. At about 9am, we spot a large group of birds diving and we peddle over to investigate. MyFishingBuddy strings two nice 20" trout and I string several smaller trout.

Later, I hear MFB yell 'whoa!' and see MFB reaching for his stringer, but it was too late.

I didn't have as much excitement but I strung a few for dinner. Paddle tails in Chicken-on-a-Chain were the order of the day.
CRAWDADDY

Re: 1/2 + 1/2 = Two Halves

Post by CRAWDADDY »

Nice work on your stringer. I had a 22" trout reduced to 11" near Oak Island a few years back, real quiet bite and razor like, I never knew it happened. Those sharks must really love the internal organs on those trout.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Clint and I had the same experience there monday...they took fish without even moving the stringer...I think they are acclimated to coming to fisherman in that area....we also had flipper toss and eat a 22" red we released..
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by My Fishing Buddy »

Thanks for the post, pics and a great outing, Jooz

I'm sitting here watching Shark Week on Discovery and my heart is racing.

What an experience. I can only imagine what it must feel like to have this happen while wading.

So I'm just stinging there fishing and chatting it up with Jooz and THUMP...........TUG. What the heck was that, I thought but immediately I knew very well what it is. OMG.

Because I had the stringer secured to the yak I wanted to remove the stringer quickly before the shark flipped me. Before I could grab the stinger I see the silhouette of what HAD to be a 5 foot shark. He hit the second trout with precision evening though I was retrieving it.

Let's just say I don't need to experience that EVER again.
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

WTG Jooz!!!

barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D We were surf fishing off of San Jose Island, a mile up from the N. Jetty. We were knee deep, fishing the second gut, and a buddy had one hit his stringer (15 ft w/float) many years ago...took two 5-6# reds at a single tug. That boy raised up out of the water and heat the beach, and to this day, thirty five years later has never had salt water over his ankle bones. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Justin_Time »

Nice report and great pics. Thanks for sharing fellas.
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Trust me, while I know the chances of this happening again are small let's just say I will use alternative means of holding my fish going forward. I have this reoccuring image in my head of the shark swiming through my legs to hit my stinger. I was sitting side saddle alot o the time but not when it struck. Earlier because of the current my fish and float was on one side of the kayak and my stinger was affixed to the other side. I quicky attached the stringer to the same side the fish were on just in case I turtled under my own vices and got entangled.
scenicgreenrr

Post by scenicgreenrr »

Dum Dum, Dum Dum, dum dum dum dum dum dum - Kayakers taste like chicken! Saw that shark show last night where the great white decided to check out the host in his yellow kayak. I think I'll stick to bass for awhile. :wink:
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Yeah.........and did you notice he didn't have on PFD.

You see how the shark came up to the side and put an eye on him? LMAO Peek a boooooo
jlazcano

Post by jlazcano »

ohhh... WOW guys!! Excellent catch... horrible (scarry) story!!
Betty Croaker

Post by Betty Croaker »

I had 4 trout on my stringer this Saturday wading in Galveston. Then I heard splashing and I had 3 1/2!
Attachments
shark bait.jpg
TheAnt

Post by TheAnt »

Hmmm, leftovers wasn't bad!

Do they make donut baskets in chain mail?