BIG Shark Adventure (Galveston 8-01-10)

Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

BIG Shark Adventure (Galveston 8-01-10)

Post by Crazy Yak »

Antipating the almost perfect conditions a sunrise launch was in order off Galveston's west beach.

Paddled out while trolling to saw a few small bait pods along with the 1st Tarpon sighting of the day. Casted several times and trolled through the bait but not takers. Shrimp boats were everywhere up and down the coast, you just had to be patient and line up for their arrival.

Waited a while for "isubarui" to meet offshore, come to find out we were off course more than intended! The SW winds had the water sandy green so we decided to paddle out further in hopes of a color change. On the way out the last Tarpon sighting of the day was seen rolling about 4 miles offshore, no takers again... At 5 miles out the water was still sandy green but fortunately for us a Shrimp boat was headed directly to our location. Several Dolphins were following the boat picking up all the scraps, the long trail left by the nets look very promising. After a few casts and drifting baits I hook into a large Spinner Shark using a 1/2 Mullet. After a 20 minute fight the Shark surfaced for this great pic taken by" isubi"! About that time "AyJay" shows up from a long paddle in his hand-crafted and extremely sea worthy kayak. This Shark was easily over 6ft in length, by comparison I'm 6'-3" with a 16' kayak.

Shortly after we all headed back in to the 3 mile and found "btbrich2010" and ClovisMan" anchored up on a solid school of bait. Several Sharks were caught by all on both bait and arificials -- bent rods were a common sight!

As part of the group headed back in a few of us fished a little longer. By fishing I mean dosing off in the kayak until a passing power boat disturbed the peaceful slumber! Awakened for a final cast with the last piece of the Mullet a large Shark was definitely in order. Less than 2 minutes pass and another fight was on, this time the fish wasn’t giving up. It kept pulling and pulling, every lift of the rod felt like dead weight. Thirty minutes later a 6ft plus Bull Shark emerges from the murky water. I called “btbrich” for help! and he’s fighting his own battle in the distance with a big Spinner / Blacktip Shark. After two exhausted fights we’re done and head for the beach.

Wouldn’t you know, there’s always time for one last cast behind a passing Shrimp boat only 1/3 mile from the beachfront. As the lure hit the water this time the attack came from above. The overly aggressive bird was quickly unhooked and released to fly again.

That unusual catch concluded day, was a good day on the water!!! Totals for the day included ~20 Sharks (Blacktip, Spinner, and Bull) most of which were 5 – 5.5 foot with two being over 6 foot, and 1 Spanish Mackerel.
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Re: BIG Shark Adventure (Galveston 8-01-10)

Post by Living Waters »

I went out to the gas rig on the 30th and the water was off color with no luck so I headed back in for some bay fishing, tons of shrimp boats out on the water.
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Yall launched from BA 16 right? Might have to go there one of these weekends and meet up with yall...

G-Man
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

way to go! :clap:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Good report and nice day fishing.

Congrats to all!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I may have to hit BA - 16 tomorrow or Wed!
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

Every time you catch a shark you pretty much have to cut the leader right? That could be very expensive at 20 sharks!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

BTW,, how was the slimmer action...........any problems with bait stealer's????
ctmullet

Post by ctmullet »

nice report, water was definitely muddy on Saturday as well.
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

I only paddled out a little over a mile......ZERO slimers. It was like some beautiful dream.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

daveg99 wrote:Every time you catch a shark you pretty much have to cut the leader right? That could be very expensive at 20 sharks!
I've been removing about 75% of the hooks, grinding the barbs completely off makes this much easier. Using a gaff you can pull or twist the hook out once the Shark is subdued.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Nice big shark and some excellent phots. Never had a bird hit a spoon... bait yes but not a spoon.
TFP! 8)
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Wife and I were down Saturday evening just to walk the Strand and get something to eat. Shrimp boats were everywhere.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

It was a nice day out on the water with all of those lure stealing sharks. Trolling back in I had four runs on the shad but 0 hookups. I guess I need to start adding trailing hooks to the rig.