First time kayaking SPI, Lower Laguna Madre.

TxAquatics

First time kayaking SPI, Lower Laguna Madre.

Post by TxAquatics »

Temp: Really hot
Winds: SE 5mph
Incoming tide 7am
6/13/19

My fishing bud brought a spare kayak on his SPI vacation. I was on vacation also in south Texas. Well what do you know, we hook up to kayak behind the convention center. Lures were the choice of bait, I did not want to mess with live or dead bait. We paddle into the gin clear waters of the LM, winds were nice n calm. I start with a spook jr and alternate to popping cork with DOA shrimp. I finally get a hook up with the a spook jr and a drag puller, I was praying it was a solid trout or slot red. Once I saw darting silver, a skip Jack, a big one, fun fight none the less, my pb ladyfish and first saltwater fish on top water. After an hour or so we paddle into some housing development canals, fish some deep channels. I switched to gulp mullet on 1/4 oz jighead, a few nibbles here n there, bite was non existence. On the last few casts I get a keeper trout and my friend gets a nice 18 inch trout. We of course cast for another 30 min, no bites, it's 1pm, and the hot Texas sun on our head. I get to see a school of 4 big blk drum swim by me!! I cast to them, but they scatter. That was it, overall nice area to fish, really enjoyed it. My friend was nice enough to gift me his trout so I had 2 for the table. Till next time, tight lines.
Attachments
20190613_161856.jpg
20190613_111925.jpg
20190613_111913.jpg
20190613_075419.jpg
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: First time kayaking SPI, Lower Laguna Madre.

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Very nice. That's a good friend right there to bring an extra yak for you. Way to stick with it and enjoy a nice day while bringing home some dinner. Nice photos too. Good job!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Looks like you had a great day on the water! Congrats! :clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report! Thanks for sharing! :clap:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the Convention Center at SPI is a great spot - we usually reserve it for a N wind so we can paddle the grass line up the island and drift-fish back.
But paddling south from here to the pasture and drifting back also works.
My folks have stayed at Sunset condo for a month at a time (tall place on the left of my photo), and my dad has caught nice reds drifting his power boat right out from the dock.
We also reserve it for fall because of the Hot thing.
Siesta is everything at SPI in summer.
Great report - thanks for the photos.

S. Padre Brewing Co. is a great lunch after a morning paddle.
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Nice! Great Report.