Bolivar Flats

AustinWader

Bolivar Flats

Post by AustinWader »

I waded the Bolivar Flats on 7/1 with Southeast wind at 8mph. Water was not as green and clear as I expected. I walked out from the pilings and fished for around 2 hours.The bottom seemed to be a mix between mud and sand. I caught a 14 inch speck and missed a bite. Lots of big mullet jumping around me there weren't any that looked small enough for trout. I have a few questions:
1: How can I find the endless sand bars everyone is so hyped about? : Should I walk closer towards the jetty after getting off the car at the pilings?
2: Is this spot really better the the surf and rock groins at Galveston?
3: The water could have been better. Would the water be better with a south or south west wind because the north jetty would block it? I always though southeast wind was the best.
4: Does anyone have any tips for fishing this area?
I appreciate all information, thanks everyone. :D
crusher

Re: Bolivar Flats

Post by crusher »

AustinW,
I have never been there, but after a quick look at GoogleEarth and using the time toolbar, it looks like from the pilings on over toward the jetty there should be a few sand bars. Check out googleearth and go back in time using the time toolbar. I think that will answer some of your questions. I have nothing to offer beyond the googleearth suggestion, sorry.
Crusher
AustinWader

Post by AustinWader »

Thanks for the reply Crusher!
crusher

Post by crusher »

You are welcome.
I'm venturing a guess it's my last post on TKF for the foreseeable future.
Tight Lines to you AustinWader.
Wag

Post by Wag »

What's up, Crusher?