Galveston surf 5/25

BoxS

Galveston surf 5/25

Post by BoxS »

Hey y’all,
Longtime lurker of the forums. I’ve learned a lot of valuable info from the TKF community over the past several years, so I figured I’d try and start contributing myself.

Saw the projected NE winds earlier in the week and figured I might have a small window to get on some surf trout action. My buddy and I got to the beach access near Jamaica beach at sunrise and waded out into relatively
IMG_1527.jpg
calm surf. The tide was out but was set to start incoming after 7. My first cast in the second gut yielded a solid 17” speck which immediately got my adrenaline pumping. However, almost immediately after getting it on the stringer the wind and surf really picked up. After an hour of nothing we decided to make a game plan change, and found some better protected surf down the Seawall a little east of 61st. I normally avoid this area of Galveston at all costs because I’m not too big on crowds, but as college students who don’t get to enjoy the coast as often as we’d like, we went for it anyway. I’m glad we did because once the tide started moving again around 8:30 it was on. We caught 11 keepers between the two of us and just as many in the “looks like it would make 15 holding it against the mark on my rod but too close for comfort” range that we threw back.

-Lures used: 4” dsl in southern shad
Plum chart sand eels
Watermelon bass assasins
The tried and true gold spoon
Shrimp under a popping cork(not a lure but the bite got tough after 10)
-Wind:11-14 out of the NE gusting to 16
-Water color: a very sandy green-about a foot and a half visibility
-all fish caught between 6 and 11

Sorry for the long winded report, but I always enjoy reports that talk a little about the trip. Figured I’d give it a shot.
Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Galveston surf 5/25

Post by Neumie »

Dang, that's a good meat haul. Very good report, thanks for sharing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Galveston surf 5/25

Post by Ron Mc »

I was wondering if somebody was going to fish the NE wind and cool mornings.
Congrats great haul - thanks for the post.