PACK Tourney Warm-up

YakRunabout

PACK Tourney Warm-up

Post by YakRunabout »

The PACK tournament is coming up in about a month so I thought I would get out to prepare (OK, not really, just going fishing – the tournament has nothing to do with it). Now it is a “slam” tournament so of course I should go out to get a slam! So, that is what I did – A nice red early in the morning a bit over 21”, followed shortly by a 19” trout. I figured it would be a nice compact slam if I got a 20” flounder! But that’s not how life works – no 20 incher – it came in a bit under 16”. But it was a slam!!

That is a nice warm-up for the tournament, right? Yeah, but the tournament had nothing to do with it, I was just going fishing and you know what happened – I got my very first slam!! Now – previously I was thinking – wouldn’t it be something if I could get my first slam on the day of the tournament? Yeah, but now I spoiled that story line.

Now, I may have also spoiled my chances for a slam next month – I mean – my frequency of slams up till now has been like one every 5 years or so!! Doesn’t look good for a repeat in only a month! Ah well – I am in the tournament no matter the odds – go out for a fine morning of fishing and then get together with the group to hear tales of the one that got away and of the ones that were landed and the prizes, oh yes, the prizes to be selected!!

Speaking of tails – I was looking for some tailing redfish, and I thought I saw some – got closer for a cast, threw across the group, pulled through – and it was ignored! Then I noticed the tails were smaller that reds. Could it be tailing mullet?

So, back to fishing – I went out again a few days later to see if I could repeat the slam – you know, cause a repeat so soon would improve the odds for Sept 7!. And you know what – I did!! Well, sort of – I did end the day with a really nice 26”+ redfish – yee haw – I will remember that battle for some time. Also had a trout under 16” and to round it off a nice 16” black drum!

Now, I can just see Chris if I were to bring in these three to claim a slam ticket – He’d say – nope, not a slam – it has to be a flounder!
I could counter with – well, it is a lot tougher to catch a black drum on soft plastics than it is to catch a flounder. I have caught many flounder on soft plastics, but this is only my 2nd black drum.
He’d say – nope, not a slam – it has to be a flounder!
Well, OK. So not a slam – but you know what – if I could only repeat that nice redfish on the day of the tournament . . . .

On Sept 7 Join in on the festivities by joining PACK and ACA – for details see the events tab at packtx.org.
Attachments
The slam!
The slam!
the - not a slam!
the - not a slam!
Now, that's a nice fish!
Now, that's a nice fish!
Last edited by YakRunabout on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
YakRunabout

Re: PACK Tourney Warm-up

Post by YakRunabout »

Just for reference - here is a bump board pic of the 21" red in the slam -

I like the spot in the tail on this one!
Attachments
P8020834.JPG
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great trip. Congrats on the slam!!! I got to get out to SLP as well soon so I can do the same! Nice spots on that red!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

KB - Thanks -
I agree on the spots on the 21" red. even more on the side shown in the slam picture. I do not recall a spot in the tail before, but then in reviewing pictures from the day I see the same kind of spot in a 19" red caught earlier!
Attachments
Spot in tail
Spot in tail
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats on the slam Ken! And that red (in the pic with the black drum) was a pig!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

good haul
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Very nice!
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Fishing reports from coast are looking like full stringers these days, get your game on and join us. This inshore tournament is in one week, Saturday Sept 7 at San Luis Pass. But you can fish anywhere but the Gulf.

Already a PACK member? Just sign up. Not a PACK member? go to http://www.packtx.org and go to the Join PACK page and then the Events page. Its that easy! Not sure about the details? Reach out to us. Chris mullet.key@gmail.com
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Mullet Key wrote:Fishing reports from coast are looking like full stringers these days, get your game on and join us. This inshore tournament is in one week, Saturday Sept 7 at San Luis Pass. But you can fish anywhere but the Gulf.

Already a PACK member? Just sign up. Not a PACK member? go to http://www.packtx.org and go to the Join PACK page and then the Events page. Its that easy! Not sure about the details? Reach out to us. Chris mullet.key@gmail.com
Should be a really fun tourney Chris! Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

So glad you guys made it. Let's go fishing sssshhh... panther