First Time Limit of Reds in South Bay

BlessedAngler

First Time Limit of Reds in South Bay

Post by BlessedAngler »

Not a yak report but area is accessible with a yak. (East side of South Bay)
Went with my wife and two younger kids to South Bay in the LLM. Started the day off drifting but only managed a couple of rat reds. After a while we anchored (stake). My 7 year old daughter was the first to hook up after anchoring. What we thought at first to be a red turned out to be two slot reds. (23" & 25 1/2"). A few minutes later she hooked up to her personal best 27 1/4" redfish completing her first time catching a limit. After this, my wife caught a 23" red. Followed by my son catching a 24 1/2" red. Before this, he lost a nice red that was in the upper slot to oversized range close to the boat. When the fish he lost would take off you could see two smaller fish trailing about 8 - 10 ft behind. We were using double drop rigs so we only had two hooks on there. However, it seemed like he had three fish on the line. After fighting him for about 1.5 - 2 minutes the redfish got off. Yet, when he reeled his line in he had a hardhead and an undersized redfish on his hooks. The only thing I can think of is that the redfish that got away must have somehow been tangled on the line. It just seems strange that he was tangled on there for so long. Has this happened to anyone before? Anyways, all the redfish were caught using cut mullet. I attached a link to the video of our trip. Hope you all enjoy and subscribe. Be safe out there and God Bless!

https://youtu.be/CDrHS0hG3as
Attachments
015_ 11 (00.08.18.314).png
021_ 17 (00.16.52.578).png
013_ 9 (00.03.34.864).png
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: First Time Limit of Reds in South Bay

Post by kickingback »

Those are some big nice reds! Well done! I can tell by the smiles all were happy! Great dad!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

South Bay in Aransas Pass?
BlessedAngler

Post by BlessedAngler »

Tombo wrote:South Bay in Aransas Pass?
South Padre Island/Port Isabel
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

blessed day -
- we've been there in August, but found the heat too much to be out between about 10am and 6pm.