PB at PACK POC

YakRunabout

PB at PACK POC

Post by YakRunabout »

Launched pre-dawn with more than a dozen other PACK members, crossing through Fishermans Cut and dispersing to various fishing locations. I went west to fish along the north bank with several other kayakers. Wind was from the SE blowing into the bank, with one long dropping tide through the day. I had several ‘small’ hits and landed a couple of small trout. I fished the bank and fished the deeper water further offshore with nothing of note.

I changed location to the south to check on the channel flanked by houses. Here I found an improved water flow. I carefully crossed a shallow oyster bed, trying out some flow areas but no hits. Into the channel I found similar inaction. I worked the shallower water along the south bank and the drop off into the channel. Fish potential picked up a bit when I saw some big reds chasing mullet, but they were across the oyster bed. Then there was another blow up in the channel but a bit further east. Then one was closer, just across the channel. I tossed a jig head with a swim mullet toward the now calm waters – it was quickly taken up and off it ran. I had fairly light drag, so touched that up a couple notches – mistake – a breakoff!! I picked up another rod with a jerk shad and tossed back near the area and was soon hooked up again. Another runner – assume it to be a red, but in this area it could be one of a wide variety of big fish! I left the drag alone for a time, but it kept running and taking line, so I notched the drag up slowly, a click at a time. Still getting dragged to the west, but gaining line back every so often. I eventually got it close enough to the boat to confirm that it was a big red and soon had it coming towards the boat directly to a lowered net – but she managed to pull her head down and pass below the net and under the boat.
Finally, in the net, the next issue is evident – what to do when the fish is too big for the net? A nice problem to have, no? In this case I reached out and grabbed the tail to prevent it from plopping out when I lifted it into the boat. Turns out it was a 36” red!! My PB red for inshore waters! I have caught these BTB but was rigged up much heavier when targeting these big gals! This was on a Cajun Delta medium, fast, 6-14 line weight rod, an Okuma RTX 30 reel with 10# PP braid tied to an owner 4/0 twist lock hook. Needless to say, I was pleased to get this fish into the boat! CPR’d.

A bit later I rounded a point and saw a blow-up out in the water that I thought may be due to a small school of reds, then I saw the telltale dorsal fin and tail of the dolphin that was creating the stir. The dolphin moved to the south as I moved to the north to fish the water flowing by the point. At the point, I eventually feel another nice, steady pull that a redfish will provide. This was not quite the same as the first but still a big pull – a nice red at 27”.
As I am fishing my way back toward the point I see a brown flash at the lure close to the boat and I am hooked up to an 18” red. I quickly get this one in – funny how on some outings the fight of an 18” red may be a highlight of the day – and in prepping for a picture I see that it is missing a piece off the top of its tail! Perhaps it previously had a close encounter with the dolphin feeding in the area?

Any day of fishing is nice – a PB day of fishing is magical!!
Attachments
18" red - tail bite?
18" red - tail bite?
Lizard fish -
Lizard fish -
27" red
27" red
The Bull
The Bull
YakRunabout

Re: PB at PACK POC

Post by YakRunabout »

Just to add the tail issue pic
Attachments
P9220925.JPG
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice write-up Ken and congrats on the PB red! :clap:

So was it the angler or the new Ying and Yang decal (taichi symbol) or perhaps the mojo in that yak that created this? Only the shadow knows.... :mrgreen:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Hmmm – a good question Mike.
Since I am the 3rd owner of this kayak it is potentially carrying the mojo from the first two owners and their experiences on the craft. The first was in fresh water so it is hard to envision much mojo carryover to salty excursions.
The second made many adventurous excursions into waters both known and unknown, deep and undeep, in the dark and in the light – making many conquests during these journeys. Much mojo will be accrued from these.
And during these exploits it was accompanied often by a loyal fishing buddy who shared in these Diversions and who provided companionship, shared learnings as well guidance. The third of these, guidance, is a key, since during this epoch in the life of the craft there was a subtle aimlessness or Drifting aspect, if you will, that cast a shadow on the accrued mojo. Either that or it was the umbrella that was brought out occasionally.

Now, the Taichi image, is a new addition. The ying/yang, or in alternate terminology, chaos/order may assist in these profound results by bringing some order to the chaos of previous driftlessness, but I believe that a stronger force may actually be a play here!

The key to this mystery is mostly concealed in the bull red pic in the original note. But there is another image where all becomes clear. There is a new sticker on the kayak which is mostly revealed in the image attached to this epistle. This same image on the sticker can also be seen on the upper arm of the jersey. I believe that it is the vertical alignment of these images that provides a force into the water that brings order to the environment of the kayak and all is possible!
All hail to the power of PACK!!

Oh, and thanks for selling me your kayak, Mike! (Mr Mojo)
Attachments
26701_resized.jpeg
Last edited by YakRunabout on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

What a nice very large redfish and great report. Thanks for taking us along.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Great report Ken. Was great to fish with everyone and I'm happy so many people made it out. Even though it was a little slow it was great to get out on the water with so may compatriots. VHF radio chatter filled with kayakers catching fish, lures they are using, places they are scoping out is always a fun time.
With so many of us out there we tended to get lost in the crowds but I spotted you a few times :) Next time I know who it is I need to tail gate to get the biggest fish lol. Congrats on the bull red, and bonus points for landing it on light tackle.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Thanks, Keith - it was great to get out with all those other kayaks. I have not launched with that many before! But that is a big area and so lots of area to fish.
It was a slow morning for me but then I found some current and fish action. Big Reds always have a big pull but I did not think that this one was going to ever stop! Glad to get it into the boat!

But you note my other pic of the lizard fish? I may be in the running with you for the small fish!
Hope to see you out there again -
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

very nice fish - thanks for the photos
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Congrats on the PB!! That's a big one for the flats.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

heh, ya I saw the lizard fish. I'm not sure, my spec was around 5" I heard baby spec makes the perfect bait for big specs lol. Of course I tossed him back though since that would be illegal :mrgreen:

The bait was half the size of the fish (Z-man Finesse TRD)
Attachments
Add description
Add description
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Yup - those little guys like to fill their plate!
Here is one from a few years ago - he had big dreams!

Of course it is not just fish -
a few years back I found a dried up frog with a big tree roach stuck in its mouth! He could not swallow it and could not get it out!
I also have a couple of nephews that, when they were young, could empty a pantry pretty quickly!
Attachments
Super powered trout
Super powered trout