East Matagorda Friday 10/18

Jeff Kessler

East Matagorda Friday 10/18

Post by Jeff Kessler »

Had a fantastic time in East Matty on Friday!

Since wind had been fairly steady from the East over the last few days, I opted to put in at Paddlesports Park Rudasill’s Cut around 7 AM. Water was high as reported elsewhere and bay had 2 foot swells until about 9 AM, so I opted to stay in the marsh.
High water
High water
Not a bite until about 10 AM I noticed birds working nearby and went to investigate. Landed a 24" red, a couple of 18/19 inch reds, and then started into a school of spec trouts. Kept a 17 and a 16, and then caught about 15 little 10-12" trout. Had a blast!
24 red<br />red
24 red
red
17 Trout
17 Trout
I was primarily using a Gulp pink mullet, but at one point I was just catching the little guys, so started changing up my lures so see what weird stuff they would bite. Came to the conclusion, that they were in a feeding frenzy and probably would have gone after a block of wood. I did notice that one of the fish coughed up these little silver fish.

Go Texans!
Texans Lure.jpg
Was hitting this school at the point where the bayou from the launch meets the drain. When another fellow kayaker was about to pass through, I invited him to stay. Plenty of fish for everyone! Great guy from Simonton and enjoyed his company for an hour or so and then headed in.
Jeff Kessler

Re: East Matagorda Friday 10/18

Post by Jeff Kessler »

Here's a pic of the little bait fish one of the trout coughed up.
bait fish.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks for the report and photos - good job all around
Fish photos are always great, but good photos of the water are always better.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Love detailed reports with nice pictures! Congrats on the good bite! Thank you for sharing!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for helping out the fellow kayaker! You probably made his day.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Thanks, Jeff. I didn't even know about that spot -- was it opened recently? I remember launching few times on the side of the road little S from there...
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Crusader wrote:Thanks, Jeff. I didn't even know about that spot -- was it opened recently? I remember launching few times on the side of the road little S from there...
It's been tabbed as a kayak launch site for 2 or 3 years now. There's been a gravel area and a place to launch there a lot longer than that.