Airport Rd (Copano) - Mar 1, 2020

Neumie
Site Admin

Airport Rd (Copano) - Mar 1, 2020

Post by Neumie »

Arrived at Rockport Friday evening just in time for dinner at 495 Chesapeake Eats (one the best places for dinner in Rockport, IMO) with my wife and sister. This has nothing to do with the report, but I felt like plugging a great restaurant. But on Saturday Copano Bay was glassed over, the air was crisp, and the sounds of a weed-wacker and chainsaw filled the air. OK, this weekend started as a work weekend getting pushed-off projects completed on the property. I was envious of other anglers all morning long wanting to be in my kayak stalking reds on South Bay (tides permitting), but work had to be done and I was glad we got it finished this Saturday with cool weather and no mosquito.

Sunday morning I was able to get out, but decided to wade instead of dealing with my kayak because I only had a small window to fish that morning. Winds were out of the south, so I decided to wade Airport Flats behind Rockport Airport.

I got on the water around 6:30 and had landed a schoolie trout by 7. There some signs of bait in the area, so this was encouraging. I was butt deep and casting deeper when I waded into an area where I was getting several bites and hooked a trout before it tossed my lure. As I was wading along my footing on the sand felt odd. I lifted my foot out realized my wading boot was falling apart. I guess that wraps up my morning wade.

Although I had planned on being off the water relatively early this morning, I didn't expect it to be that early. Regardless, getting out and wetting a line really felt good on the sore muscles from working most of Saturday.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 6:30 am - 8:00 am
Air Temp: 65 F
Wind: SSE 10 (Gusting to 15)
Barometric Pressure: 1015 mb
Sky: Overcast
Water Clarity: 2 ft, Sandy
Water Temp: 62 F
Structure: Mostly Sand

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 6:52 am/6:28 pm
Moonrise/set: 11:01 am/ -----
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent (36.6%)

Predicted Tides @ Rockport (MLLW)
Low @ 5:16 am (-0.23 ft)
High @ 8:25 pm (-0.01 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr.
Strawberry Sand Shad Jr. on 1/8 oz jighead

Fish
Trout: 1 undersized
Last edited by Neumie on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yak Dog

Re: Airport Rd (Copano) - Mar 1, 2020

Post by Yak Dog »

That’s gotta suck!!! At least you got to get out . I wasn’t able to fish all weekend. I was going to go out with Ben on Saturday but something came up . Haven’t heard if he found the trout on East Matagorda or not.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Josh: I fish Airport Road launch now and then with my sail line. I usually set up by the marsh drain, where the alligator lives. I put out 12 hooks on 18" leaders on my sail line, baited with live mullet. The first time I fished there, I let my line "soak" for thirty minutes, and pulled it in and had a 23" flounder and a 26" red!. Later trips, I have caught trout and reds. My neighbor told me not to mess with the alligator. I told him that was one of my annual New Year's resolutions. In fact, I've never seen it.

Every time I fish there, I'm intrigued by the sunken pier just to the south of the launch. Google maps make s it look very fishy. Ever kayak fish there?

My wife & I are researching 495 Chesapeake Eats. Gotta try it. Thanks, TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

TexasJim wrote:Josh: I fish Airport Road launch now and then with my sail line. I usually set up by the marsh drain, where the alligator lives. I put out 12 hooks on 18" leaders on my sail line, baited with live mullet. The first time I fished there, I let my line "soak" for thirty minutes, and pulled it in and had a 23" flounder and a 26" red!. Later trips, I have caught trout and reds. My neighbor told me not to mess with the alligator. I told him that was one of my annual New Year's resolutions. In fact, I've never seen it.

Every time I fish there, I'm intrigued by the sunken pier just to the south of the launch. Google maps make s it look very fishy. Ever kayak fish there?

My wife & I are researching 495 Chesapeake Eats. Gotta try it. Thanks, TexasJim
Chesapeake Eat is really good, but also a bit on the pricey side, so be forewarned.

I've launched my kayak and have waded from Airport Park a couple of times with so/so success. Today I had a small window to fish, and Airport Flats is the closet place to fish, especially with the forecast winds. My initial plan was to fish the old sunken barge to the south/west of the access point, but when I hit the water I just couldn't get myself to wade that way. Maybe another time. Personally, I think Airport Flats is much better late spring through early fall location because it's mostly sand and the grass starts to grow in warmer waters. But, I wanted to fish close to my cabin this morning.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

That area is certainly interesting, especially looking at the difference from January 2016 and January 2017.

2016:

2017:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

my favorite final pair Keen Hood River boots (after 3rd re-glue) left a sole in the mud at Talley Island.
I replaced them with Astral Hiyak boots, and really like them, especially if you can catch them on sale at Moosejaw for $75.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:my favorite final pair Keen Hood River boots (after 3rd re-glue) left a sole in the mud at Talley Island.
I replaced them with Astral Hiyak boots, and really like them, especially if you can catch them on sale at Moosejaw for $75.
Would the Hiyak have enough room for thick neoprene booties, even purchasing 2 sizes larger to accommodate? I like to be able to wiggle my toes even when wading in my waders.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

they fit my feet great, but you'd have to size up for neoprene socks. I wet-wade mine with lycra scuba socks (Cressi),
or when it's cold, I have Kokatat tempest dry pants with built-in goretex socks.
This is last February, but I wore the same shell and shoes when we were on East Flats that cold early April day last year.