West Bay lights - Actual Fishing!

YakRunabout

West Bay lights - Actual Fishing!

Post by YakRunabout »

We hit some lights of West Bay again with more redfish and a few trout this time. My night started off just like the last one with a red at each of the first two lights, though no keepers on this night, an 18” and a 19”. A nice start non-the-less.
Moving on I found that there was a difference with the fish activity – there were more lights where I could see fish or their shadows from them passing by the lights, but the bite was lighter. The previous outing the bite was harder and the hook up easier. This night there were a lot of ‘bumps’, I guess you could say, or at least a lighter take. There were also a few lights with a larger group of reds at the surface.
Another difference on this night was that there were a few trout included in the hook ups – though all were small.
There were decent sized bait fish schools, likely glass minnows like the 2” one I found in the back of my kayak, likely spit up by a small trout that landed back there.
All in all a very pleasant outing. Nice weather, though foggy on launch. Air and water temp about the same in low 70’s. I was surprised at the 73 degree water.
I ended up bringing home a nice 25” red. Had another one that I could have pinched the tail to get over 20”, but he needed to fatten up a bit. The keeper came at a light that had been fished just a few minutes before, which scattered the fish. But they returned sooner than expected, so I made a few casts and ended up with this one!! A nice way to end the night. All fish taken on the same lure as the previous outing.
Get out there soon, winds are light, temps are good, excuses are few! Also, no crowds to spread that virus thingy!
Pics won't load. Will try in reply
YakRunabout

Re: West Bay lights - Actual Fishing!

Post by YakRunabout »

Pics? not yet!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Pics? Yes -
Attachments
Same as one in the bucket -
Same as one in the bucket -
20200312_121028.jpg
P3111191.JPG
impulse

Post by impulse »

What'cha catch 'em on? I'm doing best on crappie jigs since the minnows are so small. It's frustrating because there's so much bait that a jig barely gets noticed. Still, generally a bite every 5-20 casts. (A guy can get really spoiled when it's a 25' walk to the fishing)

Full disclosure... I usually catch one or two before I go back inside and leave the rest to my nieces, nephews and their kids who will be here any day now for Spring Break. So I don't claim to be an expert at catching them. I'm used to fishing off a pier on Lake Conroe, where a fish that gets caught one night won't be around when the kids get here. Not much of a risk of that on the canal.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

DSL burner shad, white ice on a 1/16oz jig head - so, a small lure, but still a lot bigger than those glass minnows. It still got plenty of attention.
You are in a handy spot there!!
And those baitfish schools will just get bigger soon and then get the big trout go slashing through - fun times!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

This time of year, Crappie Jigs in a tandem set up can be deadly. See this post :http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=249765
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Glad the fish were biting and that you got out to get them to bite! Thanks for the report and pics! I need to get out on the water soon. I miss it more after reading good reports! :clap:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Just thought of some lures for those who want to go small.
As Shoffer noted the crappie jig should work well since they are small and I have seen small tandem rigs do well.
There are many small lures out there - some I have used -
The Buggs guy sells some small plastic body curly tail to add to the hooks of his lures. I have used these on their own on a small jig.
Chicken Boy sells a small glow curly tail lure, similar in size to the Buggs body. These on a small jig are great. Plus the glow helps to keep track of the cast in the dark environs.
Both of these could go tandem.
Am sure there are others, just keep an eye out.

Oh - a note to add - these smalls are not just for the lights - they do well elsewhere!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

nice report and thanks for the photos.
Our experience at far-south Arroyo lights in the cold early last month - same size or even smaller bait, and so thick it turned the water black - the trout were arcing from deep, not feeding in competition, and sipping light.
Two-inch swim shad tandems did the job, glow/blue, with every fish taken on the blue - slow retrieves and no countdown, and light (UL) tackle made all the difference in hook-ups.
(and still eating great fish tacos twice/wk from that trip)
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Looks like fun times. I'm hoping to go night fishing soon. Getting close to the start of trout tide runners in the lights if memory serves.