Estes in big blow and dead calm

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Estes in big blow and dead calm

Post by Ron Mc »

Was planning this trip with Steve, Lou and Randy for a month. Watching the weather for 10 days, and finally made the call on Wed that NWS made it look ok. At the same time, Randy had to bow out because he went on weekend alert for the VA.

Had also been talking for two weeks with Blake - YaketyYak - he wanted to scout Estes for a PACK trip, and told him for sure Sunday would be the better day.
NWS kept making Saturday look better, with the two fronts hitting early, and both the rain chance subsiding and the wind easing back to the east by 10 am - it didn't happen. Though it was balmy and 70 when Lou and I arrived at Rahi Motel Friday evening, Saturday was a cold blow. We held out to launch until 8:30a, again, believing NWS that coming home was going to be better on the light East wind - we launched at 16 kt NNE with that promise.
I included this photo, walking our boats to the Little Cut shoal, because it was the only good photo I took of Steve.
Little Cut was dead in spite of the rising tide and beating wind current ripping through the cut - I've never not caught tourist trout there. So we headed upwind to drift back down Trout Bayou.

Instead of getting better, the wind picked up and continued from the NNE - gusts were definitely over 20 kts and the rain picked up. We regrouped at Sandy Point, sourhtern tip of Talley Island, grabbing a few calories before before making the hard WNW reach back to Palm Harbor. Steve noted that glass minnows were washing onto his deck through his Hobie drive port.
Lou showed up with a nice slot red, caught on a maroon+yellow-tail cocahoe. It was only 11am, but we were ready for warm and dry.
Note the waves beating down Trout Bayou on Lou's hull. Because of the reaching wind and waves, the only way to make it back home was to tack upwind above Palm Harbor, and jibe for the last run across the ICW to the Palm Harbor bulkhead. Steve's Revo 16 capsized in 3 wind gusts crossing Estes Cove.
We made good the rest of the day, running into Roy's Bait & Tackle so Lou could buy a new Werner paddle on sale, and picked up a few more glass minnow lures. Also killer burgers at Steer Burger in Estes.

Sunday morning it was dead calm, but pea-soup fog. Ken - Yakrunabout - joined us along with Blake.
It was great fishing with these guys, and I hope they enjoyed Estes as much as we did.
Even though we couldn't see Talley Is., made the call to paddle out into the fog - Sandy Point should be ESE, right?
I managed to get us kinda lost, or at least on a long semi-circle tour. I kept paddling to what looked through the distance like the island, but my compass didn't make sense. I finally figured out instead of Talley Is., I was looking at the dense fog on the horizon.
So Blake rescued us with his GPS, we rounded Talley, and went right to fishing as we worked our way East toward Little Cut.
Lou and Steve both kept fishing up Trout Bayou, remembering Lou's red from yesterday.
Blake, Ken and I took advantage of the tourist trout smorgasbord at Little Cut - no wind current, but a pretty good rising tide current. Trout were slashing glass minnows on the skinny shoal and along every bank in the cut. Lou also mentioned that he, Blake, and Ken paddled up on the west end of the Little Cut shoal and saw reds grazing on glass minnows, but none of them could turn a strike.
Blake heading into Little Cut.
I knew about Sunday's calm, and brought my 8' UL, knowing it would let me cast a small, sinking Yo-Zuri PINS minnow from the center shoal to either bank in Little Cut. It was a blast, even with tourist trout.
better photo, and I caught two that were 15 inches - would have kept them if I knew Lou was showing up with a stringer.
Lou paddling in from the fog to join us.
Ken fishing the grassy shore on the deep side of the cut - you get the sense of the light remaining fog in this photo.
About 9am, the sun was slowly drying the fog and driving up a light NE breeze for us. So we paddled up Trout Bayou to drift back down. I missed so many good fish - had a really solid fish hooked - or so I thought. I was also getting many little trout strikes on grasswalker.
On this drift, Lou got the trip fish, a 25" hen trout on TSL Chicken-on-a-Chain.
Our breeze finally gave up, so we paddled back to Little Cut for beer-thirty break and few more tourist trout.
With the promise of returning prevailing SE wind in the afternoon, we began working our way south to Big Cut.
The drift that followed was a blast, and promised to get better for the remaining afternoon. I know Blake and Ken were both catching trout and reds on topwaters.
I noticed they were striking better on a fast retrieve, so I tied on a cocahoe and lived with the grass balls.
Caught this rat red with the most beautiful tail coloration I've ever seen.
Lou told me he badly gulleted his sow trout, so better to eat her than let her die.
Looks like Susie will let Lou play again, as long as he keeps bringing home trout fillets.
How's this for a stingy fillet?
We had an adventure - weather adventure, paddling adventure, fishing adventure. It was a great outing with good friends, and I hope to fish with both Blake and Ken again.
Food and the current weirdness - Steer Burger in Estes is top notch, Texas Monthly Top 50, and they've always been set up for excellent grab-it and go meals.
Also the Groove in Rockport - great menu, and they can turn out a fantastic wood-fired pizza in 10 minutes.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YakRunabout

Re: Estes in big blow and dead calm

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report, Ron - Quite a contrast for you guys between those two days as far as the weather is concerned.

I was very pleased to be able to make it down on Sunday to fish with you guys. Folks that I have come to know through this site and have now had the pleasure of fishing with. I had a great time exploring the area, my first time to Estes, and to learning some new techniques, my first time drift fishing.

Also caught some fish! A flounder to bring home and undersized trout and reds, a red up to 19" - thought he was a keeper!!
Attachments
Ron - a cigar burning and fish in hand!
Ron - a cigar burning and fish in hand!
Blake trying to catch the reds in shallows
Blake trying to catch the reds in shallows
Blake's biggest catch of the day!!
Blake's biggest catch of the day!!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

A few more pics
Attachments
A drift underway -
A drift underway -
Ron and Lou working a channel in Little Cut
Ron and Lou working a channel in Little Cut
My 19" red says 'Hello'
My 19" red says 'Hello'
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Ken - thanks for adding those photos, especially wading the Little Cut shoal.

ps - here's that Steer Burger
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Great report, Ron. I woke up at first light Sunday and couldn't see across my RV park in the fog. My wife was kinda sickly and asked me not to leave her alone. (Usually, she wants me to leave her alone.) So, it wasn't difficult to go back to the f^rt sack. Glad it turned out to be a decent fishing day for y'all. If you guys brought down any Corona, I hope you drank it!

I was going out today in the skiff, but it was foggy till eleven, and when the fog blew away, it was because the wind piped up to 10 to 15, SE. Maybe tomorrow ..................................TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Nice fish y'all scratched out in some tough conditions. Thanks for all the pics.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Ron: I showed my wife the pic of your SteerBurger and she said, "Whoa, Heart Attack on a Bun!" I know it was good. TexasJim
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

It was great to meet everyone on this trip! Ken and I were excited to meet you guys and to be able to fish with Ron and his crew. I look forward to hooking up with you guys again if you don't mind having us tagging along. Here are some pics I had of this trip.....

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Yakety_Yak wrote:It was great to meet everyone on this trip! Ken and I were excited to meet you guys and to be able to fish with Ron and his crew. I look forward to hooking up with you guys again if you don't mind having us tagging along. Here are some pics I had of this trip.....
Blake, of course you and Ken are always invited - the nice thing about Estes, there's room for everybody, but you do have to like paddling to fish there. I think we covered 8 mi on Sunday.

nice fish - here's the one I thought about posting, where cropped out just the blue tail on the little rat.
This fish has the biggest blue patch on his tail I've ever seen.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ron, let me know when you friend gets tired of his Revo 16, I have a more stable and lighter Revo 13 :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tom, Stevo has been windcocked and flipped in the Revo more than this trip - and came back for more.
Don't think you could pry the tiller from his cold dead hand.
He goes back to Aquaterra Kahuna, and likes a little pucker adrenaline with his ride.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I still think the Revolution 16 would be my ideal kayak for Rockport fishing.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Tombo, one sold on this forum last week in about an hour for $1000. Two were on Corpus Craigslist last week, one with Mirage and one with the Toqueedo drive. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tombo wrote:I still think the Revolution 16 would be my ideal kayak for Rockport fishing.
Tom, I'll also add that Steve has TurboFins on his Revo. The normal, shorter Mirage drive fins might be better for getting a little farther in skinny water. Of course the Revo is a Great paddle boat.
Steve also noted the depth of his fins was a factor in windcock and capsizing. The keel pivoted on the fins to windcock, so that Steve had a hard time nosing up, and the depth prevented any hull slip - add a wave, wind gust, and the traction of those deep fins, and you're rolling over.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

If I get over to ACK soon, before I go fishing at Estes again, I will be buying the rods for the regular fins. I had turbo fins in my Outback this trip. I had no issue with wind trying to flip me but the Outback is more stable. I used to have an Adventure. For many reasons, that is why I sold my Adventure and bought an Outback. I still get speed (not as fast as a Revo) but the stability is better. I did notice that my turbo fins would hit the bottom making it where I had to fold or fludder kick the fins. I would say about 50% of the time I was in paddle mode. No worries, I got a good workout. :) I have the regular fins but need the rods to fit in the fins. I will get them soon.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Yes, the Revo is 28-1/2" wide with a narrow bow, elevated seating, and my 28" wide Tarpon 160 with its wide bow and low seating is a lot more stable than the Revo 16. The Revo, though, is faster than the Tarpon. My 26"-wide Kestrel, narrow bow, low seating, is faster on touring paddle than the Revo on TurboFins, and a bit less stable, but you make up for some of it with thigh-strap balance. The thing you can't do in the Kestrel is hang your legs over one side to turn around - the boat zips out from under you - but it's a fast taxi and easy to mothership at 39 lbs.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I have fished Rockport a few times in my T160 and found that it was a dream down there. I think it may be the best all around fishing kayak out there.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Couldn't disagree with that. There are better boats for techniques that involve standing up, but few others with the speed combined with good manners. Will admit I puckered a bit in those reaching waves + wind gusts, but I was able to steer my boat out of them. Especially the waves, the boat gives you time to plan for them when you see them coming.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie wrote:Nice fish y'all scratched out in some tough conditions. Thanks for all the pics.
The $100 Korean 8' UL with 1-6-g lure range (1/32 to 3/16 oz) made all the difference for me wading Little Cut.
I bought it for Arroyo, but here, it let me cast the 3/16 oz lure I needed as far as I needed to catch fish, and was a blast on any size fish.
Also the Yo-Zuri sinking PINS minnow was it - 2 second countdown, and trout impaled themselves on any retrieve.
I also tried floating/diving, suspending, twich in similar patterns, and none of them took a strike.
the Japanese have gone so far in spinning rod tapers, loading more and more like progressive fly rods, with a single rod having a working lure range of 1/16 oz to 3/4-oz.
Here's my next rod, 8'2", 1/16 oz to 1/2 oz, and just introduced at an attractive price.
https://youtu.be/FSg20hILrEA
The stiff butts these rods have also give you the ability to turn big fish, which at Arroyo, kept big trout from running under the dock piers.