5-6-20 Tiki Island - Kayak Night Fishing

Yakety_Yak

5-6-20 Tiki Island - Kayak Night Fishing

Post by Yakety_Yak »

As some of you may have read, I have been doing a lot of kayak night fishing. Why kayak night fishing you may ask yourself? The reason is simple. Many times I have gone lately I have been coming home with limits of reds and trout. So, with that being said, here is my thought process. If it's not broke, why fix it. Why do a different type of kayak fishing (ex: day fishing, etc.) if what I am doing is working just fine. I don't mind going out in a marsh but this way I can avoid, most of the time, the mosquitoes and heat by going fishing at night. In doing so, I catch a lot of fish along the way.

I called a few people but none wanted to fish or couldn't. The night before the trip, my buddy Troy called and was looking to go fishing. I told him what I had in mind. Troy decided that he wanted to go. We put a plan in place to meet up and executed it. We arrived at the launch spot around 8:45 pm. After setting up the yaks, we got them in the water and set off to our first spot to fish. We launched around 9:15 pm. We were in no rush to hit the water. I didn't want to hit the first light until around 10:00 pm. By the time we hit the first canal, my fish finder turned off for some strange reason. I had tried something new with one of my batteries and this was the maiden voyage for it. The battery lasted 5 - 10 minutes and then the fish finder turned off. Troy fished the lights while I made my way onto a dock and changed my battery. I brought the battery I regularly use which was in my front hatch in my dry bag. I changed out batteries but nothing happened. The fish finder wouldn't turn on. I didn't want to spend a lot of time figuring this out and losing out on my fishing so I just put the other battery back on. I figured that 10 minutes on a battery and having to restart when I needed it was better than no battery at all. I would figure this problem out later when I made it back home after I got some sleep. For now, I got back in the yak. Troy and I proceeded for some other canals to fish.

For some reason, the first half of all the canals on the north part of Tiki was not producing so Troy and I kept moving. Later on, we found some canals that held fish. Troy and I both managed some hook ups in the same canal but at different lights. My first fish was a trout and it was at 20". This trout fought pretty good and had quite a few head shakes. I shook my head back at it to let it know that I agreed with it that it was going home in my fish bag. :)

About 3/4 of the way around the north part of Tiki I was making may way into a canal when I saw someone in a Hobie PA 12. I asked him if he was having any luck and introduced myself. After talking for a short time, he asked if I had some bug spray. The skeeters were chewing him up. I gave him some to spray himself down then we went back to fishing. This person seemed pretty nice, well mannered. The issue came afterward meeting him. This person kept in front of us the entire time steeling all lights, even when we were in a canal. At one time I was ahead of him and heading toward the back where I knew some lights that were good were at and he flew past me just so he could hit those lights first. At another time the guy texted me (we swapped up contact info in the beginning) and he said he wasn't going to fish the west lights at all and he would give them to us to fish. I knew better as since Harvey, the west lights have never been quite the same. We saw no activity in the west lights continuing to move to the south side. I knew that this person was going to a certain set of lights and when we hit the corner and made our way down, I was exactly right! There was some lights that held huge fish. At one light he had already tried to catch a fish so that light was spooked. He broke off, if my memory serves me right, and when we saw him he was rigging up. Troy hit one light, that guy hit another light, and I hit the first light. I managed a 22" red from the first light. I can't remember what happened with that guy on the second light but he should have hooked up because every fish in that light was a keeper. Troy didn't find anything in the third light (that could of been the light that the guy broke off in and that was spooked).

Troy and I decided to skip the next canal and give it to that guy so we could have a canal to ourselves. By the time we got to that canal, that guy caught up to us and killed our momentum. He went back toward the west and so I was tired of trying to fish with this dude's fishing mentality. It was my birthday and I even told this guy that it was early on. Knowing that he still kept on taking all the lights leaving us with nothing to fish for. I mentioned to Troy that our night was over and we should head back to the launch. Troy agreed so that is what we did. We didn't hit anymore canals and headed south toward the Causeway and then under the Tiki bridge. From there we made our way back to the launch. I believe we made it back to the launch around 4:30 am.

BTW.... the weather that night was clear skies and a low of 70 degrees. The winds were 2 - 5 mph throughout the night. The tidal movement was supposed to be great throughout the night. The first half of the night the movement was great. The last half was not bad but it wasn't as good as projected. Overall, it was definitely a great night to fish.

All in all, Troy and I both left with one red fish each and three trout each. Considering the circumstances, we did fairly well.

One last thing I would like to add is that when night fishing if you see a person fishing from their dock, give them the courtesy they deserve and leave them to fish without casting into their light. I have found that by being nice, many of those people will leave on their lights for you to fish once they are done. If you are rude, they will switch off their light leaving you with nothing to fish. Yes, I hear ya. There are plenty of other lights to fish but what if that particular light was a very good light. Now that the person that owns that light turns it off, you will not have a chance for that light to gather fish again later that night. Many good lights that have fish will regather fish once you have caught one if you give it enough time. If the light is off for the duration of the night, you have guaranteed that you won't catch anything in that light at all.

Something I forgot to mention, while I was fishing a light earlier in the night, I managed to hook up in a light and as I was pulling it in, the fish seemed to be going in a weird pattern. Finally, as I got my line semi close to the yak, I saw another line connected to mine. I looked forward and there was a guy fishing on a dock. Neither of us saw each other. He had no light on his dock but was fishing the light at the home next to his. I untangled the line as we hooked each other. Neither of us lost our rigs and I was very apologetic to the guy. He was cool about things. We both laughed as neither of us saw each other. All we saw was a few big fish in a light. I guess we both had tunnel vision at that moment, lol.

Just as we would give the same respect to light owners, the same can be said for fishing on a kayak. Be respectful and don't hog all of the lights. If you know a kayaker is fishing a certain canal, the other kayaker may want to fish a different canal. The other thing that can be done is that one kayaker fishes the right side of the canal and the other kayaker fishes the left side of the canal. In short, be respectful!

After Troy and I made our way away from the launch, we headed to a nearby cleaning station to clean our fish.

After cleaning fish, Troy and I both drove our separate vehicles due to COVID-19 and headed to Buc-ee's. I went in to get some coffee and breakfast. Don't worry, I wore my mask and gloves while in Buc-ee's. From Buc-ee's we both headed home with some good fish to cook.

I hope you guys have as much luck as I have had lately. Tight lines!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 5-6-20 Tiki Island - Kayak Night Fishing

Post by kickingback »

Great report Blake! Wish I could have gone with you! Nice that you caught some good fish in spite of the rude kayak fisherman you had to deal with. Some people just do not think about others except to best them at what they are doing. Fishing can be competitive if there are many fisherman in a certain area but courtesy pays off in the end. Just have to find it.
Thanks for sharing! Where is the cleaning station you hit? Is that by the Galveston bait launch on the other side of the causeway? Curious.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

As I've always said about night fishing the lights from Arroyo docks - can't think of any other fishing where so many fish come to you.

With so many lights to choose from, stealth is important to keep from driving the gamefish to the next light. Spare your casts by waiting for fish sign, don't show your profile.
Also important is matching the bait size that the lights are drawing.

One night practicing our stealth on Arroyo dock, there was a boat working down the Arroyo, killing his motor and anchoring to fish light after light. Turkey motored right up in front of us and tried to drop anchor.
Hey - we're fishing here.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Fishing has led me to do stupid things, I get tunnel vision.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Sounds like that guy was pretty oblivious on how to courtiously night fish. He needs to get on tkf and read up!

Thanks for the report, even with the guy competing you guys sounds like a good outing. Each report makes me want to get out there too. Keep em coming!

Question, when someone does that, seeing as tiki is an island why not just turn around and fish back the other way? The lights a few canals back might have recharged in theory.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tombo wrote:Fishing has led me to do stupid things, I get tunnel vision.
so who was that woman working your anchor?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ron Mc wrote:
so who was that woman working your anchor?
????
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

sorry friend, I was teasing you about the boat in Arroyo that tried to anchor at our dock, right between us and the fishing.
CSJ3790

Post by CSJ3790 »

Nice catch. I've been wanting to do some night fishing at tiki for a while. Where do you usually put in? Looks like fat boys is a possibility ility but I wasn't sure if they let you park your truck there.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Either side launching is fine. Patrolled by police. I never had an issue parking at either. I like the public ramp on the north side of causeway. I usually go with the tides meaning that I like an outgoing tide to get around Tiki to the south side. That bridge area can be tough to paddle/pedal through on a heavy tide depending on which way you are going.
I launch the public and go south side and fish all the way around to the north side and then come back to launch without fear of tide.
If you launch the south side of causeway you can hit the causeway lights and then head to Tiki and back when done. Don't have to worry about the tide under the Tiki bridge. It's a bit further to go to Tiki but it's another option. The lights under the causeway are always productive for me. Do a Youtube search for "Galveston Causeway" or "Tiki fishing" and see the launches and get a good idea what you can expect.
You should go with someone that has been to show you the ropes there and give you some tips.
Tiki is a great place to fish. I am not sure why MORE people do not fish it. I think many of the veteran kayakers think Tiki is a beginner location to fish. I disagree. It is prime fishing with the tides and being so close to the pass where the water is carried back and forth making any area there worth fishing.
Enjoy and give us a report when you go!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ron Mc wrote:sorry friend, I was teasing you about the boat in Arroyo that tried to anchor at our dock, right between us and the fishing.
Good lord, Ron there is nothing wrong with your memory.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it can be a burden, bro
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Well done getting on some fish! Keep them reports coming. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

kickingback wrote:Thanks for sharing! Where is the cleaning station you hit? Is that by the Galveston bait launch on the other side of the causeway? Curious.
My pleasure! The cleaning station is the bait shop on the Galveston side right next to the Causeway.

Ron Mc wrote:As I've always said about night fishing the lights from Arroyo docks - can't think of any other fishing where so many fish come to you.

With so many lights to choose from, stealth is important to keep from driving the gamefish to the next light. Spare your casts by waiting for fish sign, don't show your profile.
Also important is matching the bait size that the lights are drawing.

One night practicing our stealth on Arroyo dock, there was a boat working down the Arroyo, killing his motor and anchoring to fish light after light. Turkey motored right up in front of us and tried to drop anchor.
Hey - we're fishing here.
Some fishermen just have no educate. I hear ya, Ron.

I know I've done a few crazy things but never intentionally. Sometimes when I fish and we see something exciting, I can get tunnel vision every now and then.

Chubs wrote:Question, when someone does that, seeing as tiki is an island why not just turn around and fish back the other way? The lights a few canals back might have recharged in theory.
When I finally realized just how bad this guy was going to get, I was about to come out of a canal. I decided to wait to see where he was going. Unfortunately, the guy went right (which is fishing on the way back the way we came). Since this was the case, we went left. The remaining canals are not all that great so we called it and decided that we had enough fish to hold us over for that night. If the guy would have turned left, then we would have fished all the way back through the canals again until we made it back to the launch.
CSJ3790 wrote:Nice catch. I've been wanting to do some night fishing at tiki for a while. Where do you usually put in? Looks like fat boys is a possibility ility but I wasn't sure if they let you park your truck there.
That launch you are referring to is where we launched at and where most people will launch at for night fishing at Tiki. As kickingback mentioned, the police patrol that area every now and then.

Johnny5455 wrote:Well done getting on some fish! Keep them reports coming. Thanks for sharing.
Happy to share, thanks. :)