Christmas Bay May 7th

Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Christmas Bay May 7th

Post by Johnny5455 »

Hit the launch a little after 6am and was on the water paddling by the marsh looking and listening for reds by 6:30, no luck. I had a gulp ripple mullet in pumpkin seed/chartreuse and a saltwater assassin paddle tail in rootbeer tied on. I had live shrimp but I had plans to anchor down and throw them under a popping cork at a spot I like in hope of catching some mustard mouths.

I casted to every drain and boil I came across but nothing would take my offerings or maybe there wasn't anything there to tempt. Oh well, I'll make my way to the spot I mentioned earlier. But wait...what was that...a red? I heard a blow up somewhere in front of me but I didn't see it. I pushed my way closer to where I thought the noise came from.

As stealthy as I can be getting closer and closer, I can now see bait jumping out the water just in front of me. Okay this should do it. I grab my rod and right when I'm about to cast I let my paddle slip off my leg and hit the kayak. Bye bye redfish, I spooked it! It came out the water enough to where I could clearly see what it was. That beautiful tail with the spot we all love to see. Dang it!!!

Headed to the spot, anchored down and caught a rat red and two barely legal flatties. Didn't come home with dinner, but I had a great time out on the water. At least I got slime on the boat. Can't wait to get back out again!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Christmas Bay May 7th

Post by kickingback »

Adrenaline! Thanks for sharing the action. Glad you got out!
8732cuts

Post by 8732cuts »

Been having no luck at Christmas Bay lately

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Christmas Bay is one of my go to spots between October and March but as the water warms up, I find it less productive.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Yeah its nice to be out there. I went out yesterday and nothing great either. Christmas bay is good in the fall, like watson says.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Last fall I got under some working birds and ended up catching several big redfish under them. Thought for sure I’d be getting in to schoolie trout.

I’ve had better luck in the marsh than the open bays recently, but it’s also been too windy to make bay fishing fun for me. Can’t remember the last time it was blowing under 10, heck, 15 even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Last fall I got under some working birds and ended up catching several big redfish under them. Thought for sure I’d be getting in to schoolie trout.

I’ve had better luck in the marsh than the open bays recently, but it’s also been too windy to make bay fishing fun for me. Can’t remember the last time it was blowing under 10, heck, 15 even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

no time on the water is ever wasted

Here's a rat red among my favorite catches of all time because of the amount of blue on his tail
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Oh wow that is a nice tail!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The dropped paddle, hull bang redfish spook, I think we’ve all been there. I’m like the others that like Christmas bay in the cooler parts of the year. I’ve had some of the most fun I have ever had fishing out on Christmas Bay. November 2019, Christmas Bay was pretty perfect.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The warden has me tightly cloistered in our home. You can't imagine how much I enjoy these fishing stories.