Brazoria 6-3-20

Noel Pando

Brazoria 6-3-20

Post by Noel Pando »

Brazoria County Fishing Report 6/3/20

I left the launch in my kayak at 6:45am with the intent to focus on redfish. In order to do this I center that focus on shallow water back lakes. While paddling through the salt marsh bayou channels and drains leading to the back lakes I noticed tons of bait everywhere. I would usually not pass up the opportunity to take a few casts near and around so much bait because you are almost always guaranteed to hook up with something, but I was already running so late I ignored it all and headed farther back to the lakes where the water is its shallowest. Once there I realized the tide was higher than I thought and it made it impossible to tell the difference between the tons of giant roe mullet in the area and redfish. With this being the case I pull out the topwater and start blind casting and sight casting at everything I see which produced nothing for about 45min. This is when I switch to a soft plastic paddle tail and post up near a grass point between to small back lakes. After about 10 casts towards the point I finally get my first hook up and it’s a 25 in red. I continue to fan cast around the point for another hour and nothing. I now decided to try another spot but before leaving I decide to turn the kayak around and take a couple of casts at some mullet commotion I heard behind me earlier which wound up producing a 25.5 in red. Next I head back to the lake drain into the bayou where I post up and catch a couple of rat reds and tiny trout after an hour of casting. It was turning out to be a real grind and it hardly ever gets better as the sun gets higher so I called it quits.
Best technique wound up being blind casting key structure (windblown shorelines, shell, points and drains) because of very high tides.
Attachments
6-3-20 ratred#1.jpg
6-3-20 slotred#2.jpg
6-3-20 slotred#1.jpg
mwatson71

Re: Brazoria 6-3-20

Post by mwatson71 »

Nice job. I was going to hunt reds this morning as well but got off to a later start than I wanted. By the time I got to the launch, boat traffic had already started picking up so I headed to the surf.
Noel Pando

Re: Brazoria 6-3-20

Post by Noel Pando »

ya, I got there at the beginning of boat traffic. with so many people fishing nowadays its such a timing thing now, not timing the bite but having to beat all the other humans to the spot.