6-20-20 Marsh near Swan Lake and Christmas Bay

Treader

6-20-20 Marsh near Swan Lake and Christmas Bay

Post by Treader »

First time posting, please excuse any missed etiquette.

Went out early Saturday morning and gigged a few nice flounder near the shore in Christmas bay despite poor water quality. Lots of bait fish near shore.

Saturday morning near Swan lake: Using burkely gulp, pallets paddle tail soft plastics, topwaters, and cast net mullet - Only caught a few dinks and catfish. Near noon, omw back to the launch I caught a 19" flounder on a purple and chartreuse paddle tail right off a point. Followed by a 14" trout in the adjacent channel. No other mentionable fish in the area.

Saturday evening in Churchill bayou: hardly any bait moving through the bayou. Fished artificials and fresh cut mullet, no success. Omw back to the launch I saw shrimp jumping on a point where the currents came together. Caught a few pencil trout on live shrimp. No other fish signs on the way back to launch.

Saturday night: wanted to gig again but the area was covered with families searching for crab. Unloaded the kayak and searched for giggable water. At one point I stepped out of the kayak, literally on a flounder. Besides that, only saw a couple of beds.

The beach front looked nearly shoulder to shoulder with easyup tents all the way to beach access 5. And hardly a soul wore masks or social distanced in the gas stations and restaurants in the area.

Next time I make my way back to the Surfside area, I'll likely try the oyster reefs in Christmas or hit cold pass/san luis (assuming it's not a weekend and blownout by boaters).

Stay safe and tight lines, y'all!

Treader
Attachments
19" founder
19" founder
Gigged flounder- 18, 17, 15"
Gigged flounder- 18, 17, 15"
mwatson71

Re: 6-20-20 Marsh near Swan Lake and Christmas Bay

Post by mwatson71 »

Nice job and thanks for the report. I am unaware of any posting etiquette. Heck, these days we are just glad people are getting out and posting results. Keep it up!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Yes well done and thanks for sharing! Lots of people will view sitting home for the virus. Great pics! :clap:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thank you for your report from what appears to be a marathon day of fishing. You must have hammered a bunch of Red Bull that day.
BirdFoot17

Post by BirdFoot17 »

Nice flatties! Thanks for the report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Great first report and nice stringer! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. Looks like you did really well and covered a lot of water!