Another night time Tiki trip 7/12/2020

mwatson71

Another night time Tiki trip 7/12/2020

Post by mwatson71 »

So my original plan was to fish Sea Isle and catch the midnight minor feed. I ended up watching a movie with my daughter, fell asleep, and didn't get out until 3:15a, so instead of driving all the way to Sea Isle I opted to try to catch a little extra time at Tiki. I launched right at 4:15 and as I went under the Tiki bridge I couldn't decide between the causeway and the south canals. The wind was super light and there was little current so both were in play.

Made the right turn for the south side of the island. I also wanted to try to do a "one lure" trip even though I had three rods set up with three different lures. I chose the Vudu shad and started trolling around the corner to the canals. As I turned into the first canal. I got my first bite on the troll and proceeded to miss it but it gave me confidence in my lure selection. I threw into the first few lights and managed a couple of bites but nothing made it to the yak. A couple minutes later I had a 16" speck in the bag. The first fish in my Father's Day gift. In almost every light I managed to catch or almost catch a speck between 10-14 inches. I lost a couple of keeper specks s at the side of the yak. Also a rat red.

At daylight, I fished a reef and had a couple of big blowups, a few more dinks, and a 17" in the bag. It was kind of frustrating because I know I could have limited if I had either left earlier or if I would actually set a hook and use my net.

All in all not a bad way to start the day.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Another night time Tiki trip 7/12/2020

Post by shoffer »

Nice trip and report. So how did the fish bag work out on the maiden voyage?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great trip - night fishing the lights is the smartest thing to do until fall gets here.
I think the low summer tides tend to stack up bait in the canals more so than the rest of the year.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Way to report and catch Michael! Well done!! Wish I could've joined you but I am busy, busy. :clap:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

shoffer wrote:Nice trip and report. So how did the fish bag work out on the maiden voyage?
The bag worked great. Beats the heck out of dragging a stringer around. I did get startled once when the second trout started flopping around long after I thought it should have been dead.

Thanks for helping with the install.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. You do a lot better at night fishing vs me :)

You really like those vudu shad. I've got a 2 pack in black I got from the PACK Christmas party last year but have yet to use them.
Have you compared them to the zman baits? I just see those vudu shad are very expensive and figure zman is the same stuff, cheaper, but you need to rig it yourself.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Chubs wrote:Thanks for the report. You do a lot better at night fishing vs me :)

You really like those vudu shad. I've got a 2 pack in black I got from the PACK Christmas party last year but have yet to use them.
Have you compared them to the zman baits? I just see those vudu shad are very expensive and figure zman is the same stuff, cheaper, but you need to rig it yourself.
I haven't compared the Vudu to the Z-man but the Vudu has not only caught a lot of fish for me, but I have used the same lure on multiple trips catching multiple fish without having to replace a body onto a jig head, re-tie a knot, or anything except unhook a fish and cast it back out there. The most durable lure I have ever used and it works well for me.

And for what it's worth, I threw the same lure last night in freshwater and caught a little largemouth bass on it.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Congrats on getting out and thanks for the report.
I have had similar small trout action at Tiki.
It is funny how similar results come from a variety of lures for different folks. I have the lures you use, or close to them, but I am usually using something different. I fish with DriftingYak a lot and we normally fish different lures! Keeps all those lure companies in business I guess! I have often heard - fish with what you have confidence in -