More small Tiki Trout, But - - -

YakRunabout

More small Tiki Trout, But - - -

Post by YakRunabout »

We launched Thursday night to hit the incoming tide at the causeway and to ride that to the lights at Tiki. We launched at low tide, which was obvious from the stench at the ramp due to all the exposed mud along the banks. The large post out in the water that divides the two sides of the launch at the double ramp at old fat boys was almost out of the water!

We were a bit early for the incoming tide, but still had a decent outgoing flow at the causeway for a time, likely assisted by the SW wind at 10 or so. Fish action was quite good, but mostly small trout. I was getting a lot of hits on my jerk shad, catching a few throw-backs. At one point I got hits on every cast into one well lighted area! The jerk shad took quite a beating with all the action.

After a time the outgoing flow stopped and by the causeway gauge the incoming had already started, but this incoming flow was tough to distinguish due to the wind blown flow from the opposite direction. We took this break to move on to Tiki. We found the same type of small trout action at both the outside lights and inside lights at the Tiki canals.

Finally, when the incoming flow really got kicked in there was an obvious change in the fish activity and more aggressive feeding. And finally we saw some redfish feeding in the lights. As I approached one of these lights I saw a large fish dart across the surface chasing some bait toward the dock while others continued to circle. I cast across this area and soon had a nice hook up to what could only be a red, by the way it pulled and pulled. The drag was a bit light for this size of fish due to all the small trout action, but the area mostly had bulkheads so there was not much structure it could get into, so I let it run as it wanted to. Eventually I pulled in a nice 28” red!
28" red
28" red
Some reds were small
Some reds were small
The trout action remained on the small size though I did end up with 2 at 16”. I do not think that I have ever caught so many trout or had so many hits from them!! I ended up going through 5 of the gulp jerk shads for the night, due to all the action. I did try a small clear sparkly paddle tail a bit but it did not get the same action as the jerk shad.
16" trout plus the red
16" trout plus the red
All in all a fun outing even though the fish size was limited. I think I improved my skill of letting small fish off the hook while still in the water. This may not be a good skill to learn in the long run.

Plus, we ended the outing with the great view of the crescent moon rising along with Venus!
Crescent moon and Venus
Crescent moon and Venus
mwatson71

Re: More small Tiki Trout, But - - -

Post by mwatson71 »

Nice report. Sounds like a great night out on the water filled with action, even if on the smaller side. That red makes the trip worthwhile, though for sure.

Funny you mention the ability to release small fish without landing them and it not necessarily being a good skill in the long run. I think I have probably "released" 20 keeper specks this year thinking "Oh I don't want to mess with another dink" and then seeing it yakside thinking "Oh crap" as it spits the hook.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

"Oh I don't want to mess with another dink" and then seeing it yakside thinking "Oh crap" as it spits the hook.
Yup - my thinking exactly - many times I have had a nice fish feel small only because it was swimming towards me!

Perhaps a related tale - On a recent trip with lots of small trout I checked my hook because I seemed to be missing too many. I saw that the barb was quite worn down. Instead of changing the jig I kept fishing with it, going forward as if I were fishing barbless - a bit more of a challenge, you know, so I had to pay more attention to the pressure on the fish. If the catch had been better than underslots perhaps I would not have done that. And who's to say there was no keeper in that mix on that day? No matter - a fun challenge anyway.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Nice report! I have been enjoying my skiff so much that I have not taken the yak out in probably 6 weeks or more, but I am going to get a nice night trip out soon.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

An odd coincidence regarding skiffs - On this outing we ran across a couple of guys on skiffs - they had gotten rid of their kayaks and moved to the skiffs some time ago. They have been happily motoring about since. Perhaps the next trend?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

shoffer wrote:Nice report! I have been enjoying my skiff so much that I have not taken the yak out in probably 6 weeks or more, but I am going to get a nice night trip out soon.
Yes! This was a good report and makes me want to get out again soon too! :clap:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the report. I need to go fish tiki some time. Beats the pants off of Sargent lights.