Back in the salt 07/20/20 - shortest kayak trip ever

mwatson71

Back in the salt 07/20/20 - shortest kayak trip ever

Post by mwatson71 »

So I am beginning to think my sleep schedule is tuned to the solunar chart. I sent Shoffer a text last night asking if he wanted to do a 5a launch with me this morning. He already has other fishing plans so I go to bed around midnight without setting an alarm. 3:15 rolls around, I wake up and instinctively head downstairs to load the car. Kayak still on top from a freshwater trip two days ago.

As I pass Buc-ee's, there are several flashes of lightning off in the distance to the west. Then come a few rain drops. Light rain that passes quickly. I make the launch at 5a on the money. As I am loading, a guy in a power boat is putting in right next to me. "Be careful," he warns, "did you see the radar? It's all around us." I said I checked it as I was passing Buc-ee's and I thought it might pass us over. "Alright," he says, "just be careful." Nice guy.

So I pedal out to one of my favorite spots and the current is ripping. I make my first cast up current to a light with my Tsunami shrimp and hope that it has enough weight to get down to the redfish that I know is waiting. Zip-a-dee-do-da, fish on. As I am reeling it in, the current is pushing me into docks and I am trying my best to stay upright. I manage to grab my net and bring a 21" redfish into the yak. I pedal out of the current and smile as I put him in the bag.

I pedal back to the same light and try to hold position as I cast back over the light, letting it drift back into it again. Zip-a-dee-do-da, fish on. I do a much better job controlling the yak this time and net and pedal out of the current fairly gracefully. Smiling as I put a 17" speck into the bag.

Third time's a charm, right? Back to the light, but I come in at a bad angle and have to circle around. Once I manage to get lined up, I rip another cast upstream and watch the slack get taken out by the current and then change direction as yet another fish takes the Tsunami shrimp. I spin around and pedal towards it and out of the current. Into the net and into the bag goes another 17" speck.

Three casts, three keepers. One lure. I tear the head a little bit unhooking it but hope there is enough because I don't have time to change it out. A large thundercloud is moving in and the wind is picking up. I want to try to get one more cast in before the storm gets to me.

One more cast, another keeper speck, but this one shakes loose as I reach for the net. Lightning flash a little closer, and I decide no fish is worth the risk. I ride the current back to the launch having only made four casts on my outing with three keepers in the bag.

I am off the water by 6:15.
Last edited by mwatson71 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chubs

Re: Back in the salt 07/20/20 - shortest kayak trip ever

Post by Chubs »

Man that is some really nice catching. I bet though you felt a little disappointed your time on the water got shorted heh.

I always have major trouble getting more than one fish on the same light unless it's a swarm of dinkers.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Chubs wrote:Man that is some really nice catching. I bet though you felt a little disappointed your time on the water got shorted heh.

I always have major trouble getting more than one fish on the same light unless it's a swarm of dinkers.
Honestly, I really didn't feel that disappointed. After I lost Fish #4 I didn't even think about trying to make another drift. I just rode the current back to the launch and I kind of smiled and laughed to myself most of the drive home.

I wondered about all these fish so stacked up but I think because the current was so strong they were all just sitting at this spot hammering the bait that drifted past them and that one fish being yanked out of the group by its lip didn't phase them because they were all feasting in the rapids. I suspect if I was back in the marsh the disturbance would have had a much greater effect and scattered them.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Quite an outing, a nice keeper per hour average!

I have seen the non-spook fish take when the current is moving well. Especially on outside lights there - faster current as well as deeper water often.

Saw the same at causeway during the nice flow the other night!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Always great reports and detailed Michael! Well done and thanks for sharing all the great info! :clap:
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Man that sounds like a good time even though it was short. Well done sir! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk